At Home In The Woods

/ At Home In The Woods
#5,691  
Place it in the middle of the garage, exactly centered with a laser level, and the hog may burrow it's way in and self-trap by accident. It's been known to happen. This saves having to go outside and place the trap too.:D
Coyote, that makes it convenient to check the trap each day too. I would try it except I'm afraid I would catch my 4 year old.
Obed

/ At Home In The Woods #5,692  
As long as the 4YO doesn't start burrowing out!

/ At Home In The Woods #5,693  

Hi Obed,

Are you doing something to make sure that there are no larvae in those holes that will burrow out later, or are they already empty?

We have used a thick piece of aluminum wire to be able to be stiff enough to push all the way into the holes, but soft enough to be able to bend around the corners, and then either spray some insecticide or even WD-40 in before putting in the putty/filler.

Have you thought about making and hanging some carpenter bee traps to decoy them away from your house?

I have seen several videos and even some available commercially, but haven't got that elusive round tuit yet...
Thomas

/ At Home In The Woods #5,695  
   / At Home In The Woods #5,696  
The right brake on the tractor locked up on me. Investigation showed that a spring that releases the brake had broken. I needed to use the tractor and couldn't wait to order the part. So I used some rebar wire to reattach the spring to the brake linkage. It was a complete jury rig but it worked.

If all the haywire and duct tape was to suddenly fall off my 3930, it would fall apart. Being able to make repairs without the items needed is just part of being a tractor owner.

Larro

/ At Home In The Woods
#5,698  
PhysAssist said:
Hi Obed,

Are you doing something to make sure that there are no larvae in those holes that will burrow out later, or are they already empty?

We have used a thick piece of aluminum wire to be able to be stiff enough to push all the way into the holes, but soft enough to be able to bend around the corners, and then either spray some insecticide or even WD-40 in before putting in the putty/filler.

Have you thought about making and hanging some carpenter bee traps to decoy them away from your house?

I have seen several videos and even some available commercially, but haven't got that elusive round tuit yet...
Thomas
PhysAssist,
I've heard that carpenter bees won't burrow out of the wood if you fill the entrance. I don't know if there's any truth to it. I guess I'll find out.

I have seen some youtube videos of how to make carpenter bee traps. I have considered buying one, just haven't gotten around to it.
Obed

/ At Home In The Woods #5,699  
Fighting Carpenter Bees
My wife found some wood putty that you can stain. So she finally let me wood putty the carpenter bee holes on the back porch.

Obed
I was at our Building Supply store recently and he told me about Bee Gone BeeGone and using it on wood to prevent carpenter bees from attacking your wood. I have not tried it yet but will some time in the future because we also have carpenter bees around. Rick

/ At Home In The Woods #5,700  
I put BeeGone in my stain/sealer and mixed it in per instructions. I had a few bore through it(the pine decking on the roof....I hate pine) this spring.
So, yes build a few of those carpenter bee traps...they work:

How to Make a Carpenter Bee Trap : HGTV Gardens

Also, if you more the active hunter type, use a Wrist Rocket with a healthy pinch of sand...knocks them down dead every time from 10' away...fun too:thumbsup: