At Home In The Woods

/ At Home In The Woods
#5,701  
Also, if you more the active hunter type, use a Wrist Rocket with a healthy pinch of sand...knocks them down dead every time from 10' away...fun too:thumbsup:
MotorSeven,
I keep a badminton racquet on the back porch for the purpose. However, I really like the idea of shooting the carpenter bees down with sand. That sounds like a good activity for next spring.
Obed

/ At Home In The Woods #5,702  
I just cut off the saplings. I didn't pull them up by the roots. I obviously should not have let the saplings get that tall but time slips up on you.

I found a discussion online about a septic drainfield in the woods here. One guy made the following interesting comments. I wonder if I should get some copper sulphate.

In NC, we do not disturb the trees or the land...that would destroy the ability of the land to treat the waste. We snake the drainlines between the trees. It takes more land, but it is a better system than the ones in a grassy field, because the trees can get to the water. the trees remove the nutrients, too...returning them to the land, rather than letting them escape into the aquifer where they do no good for the land and contaminate the groundwater...and eventually the well water. The tree roots also keep the soil drier, so the system lasts longer because it doeesn't form an anaerobic biomat in the drainlines.

Also, For those uf us with septic systems in woods, I add a half a pound of Copper sulfate to the outgoing drain line once a year. I buy it in the farm and garden store or in the ag supply or gardening shop. It is used to kill some pests for roses or some such. I forget what exactly, but it is commonly available and it's cheap, too. It kills roots that have invaded the system, but the copper does not accumulate in the trees and does does not harm the trees other than killing some of the roots.

Obed

I think this is a bit of BS, but yes copper will kill roots. Id rather have my drainline in full sun as far from trees as possible.

She Fixed It
Some guys would be too embarrassed to let their wife fix the truck. Not me! For the past 2 or 3 years, we've had trouble with the batteries staying charged. I replaced the alternator; that seemed to help for a short while but not for long. Recently someone suggested that the starter might be draining the battery. My wife replaced the starter and the solenoid. Presto! Worked like a charm.

View attachment 381253

I did my part by taking pictures!
I got a $15 solar charger from Harbor freight to put on things that had batteries that kept dieing and it works for me. in my case it was lack of use and or old batteries.
I can't see any of the pictures in Obed's last couple of posts. Is it just me?

i cant see them either?

/ At Home In The Woods #5,703  
the pines will die if you cut them at the ground below all live limbs, unless its a shortleaf (those looked like virginia) as they can stump sprout from epercormic buds. the elephant tree could be tulip poplar or catalpa tree?

/ At Home In The Woods #5,704  
I put BeeGone in my stain/sealer and mixed it in per instructions. I had a few bore through it(the pine decking on the roof....I hate pine) this spring.
So, yes build a few of those carpenter bee traps...they work:

How to Make a Carpenter Bee Trap : HGTV Gardens

Also, if you more the active hunter type, use a Wrist Rocket with a healthy pinch of sand...knocks them down dead every time from 10' away...fun too:thumbsup:

How do you keep the sand from just dispersing into a cloud of dust?

I did like the rachetball and tennis racket idea, but we are only rarely close enough to reach one.

There is a novelty airgun that shoots out a pinch of tablesalt, but the range is only a few feet...
Bug-A-Salt: The Original Salt Gun.

Thomas

/ At Home In The Woods #5,705  
heck i have carpenter bee holes in treated wood!!!

Any chemical that is pretty broad based for insects and can be applied over wood outside could be applied to your wood and kill them if that is what you want. Most just live with the holes.

/ At Home In The Woods #5,706  
How do you keep the sand from just dispersing into a cloud of dust?

I did like the rachetball and tennis racket idea, but we are only rarely close enough to reach one.

There is a novelty airgun that shoots out a pinch of tablesalt, but the range is only a few feet...
Bug-A-Salt: The Original Salt Gun.

Thomas

load it into shotgun shells!!!

/ At Home In The Woods #5,707  
Obed you need one of those $700 carports for your tractor and trailer and truck or whatever gets the second spot. No reason to let a $30K tractor sit outside while your $3k car sits in the garage???

/ At Home In The Woods
#5,708  
Obed you need one of those $700 carports for your tractor and trailer and truck or whatever gets the second spot. No reason to let a $30K tractor sit outside while your $3k car sits in the garage???
clemsonfor,
Valid point. We do intend to put a garage door in the basement and park the tractor in there. Just haven't gotten around to that project.
Obed

/ At Home In The Woods
#5,709  
Raspberries from the Garden

IMG_0511.JPG

/ At Home In The Woods
#5,710  
Garden Shed

The rental house has a 10' x 15' metal shed on the lot. We are going to move that shed to our house near the garden. There was a 55 ft tall maple tree at the spot where the shed is going to be located so I had to take it down. I was a little nervous about taking down this large of a tree with my little backhoe.

Putting on the backhoe.

IMG_0506.JPG IMG_0507.JPG

Here's where the shed will go.

IMG_0508.JPG

Moving some rocks out of the way.

IMG_0510.JPG

Last edited: