Oil & Fuel ATF and diesel fuel

/ ATF and diesel fuel #11  
The only time I have seen someone put ATF in a diesel is when the guy accidentally filled it with gasoline. Basically a new knuckle head driver took one of the trucks to the gas station and literally gassed it up. Luckily he was smart enough to call the dispatch and they got one of the old hand mechanics on and he said add two quarts of ATF to the fuel tank and bring it strait back to the shop to be siphoned out.

/ ATF and diesel fuel #12  
Back in the 1980's I worked for a trucking company and we always filled new fuel filters with ATF, but that was the most we ever add. Whether this was a good idea or not I'm not sure, but the +300 trucks the company had and we service got it everytime.

That said I would not do it on a newer computerised diesel like the Chevy/GMC Duramax or the newer Powerstrokes.

/ ATF and diesel fuel #13  
I've got a couple of gallons of used brake fluid (DOT 4 mostly), some old power steering fluid, some used carb clearner solvents, and some used battery acid, but I don't have any used ATF.

Which of these chemicals, if I filter them through a cheesecloth to remove the big chunks, are good to recycle through my RV's Mercedes diesel engine, or should I just dump them all into my tractors fuel tanks?

/ ATF and diesel fuel #14  
Save them to start the fire to burn all those old tires. You might not want to filter the acid since it might destroy the cheesecloth. ;)

What?---- I thought if I toss the cheesecloth reminants into the tank it would function as an extra fuel filter..... :D:D:D

/ ATF and diesel fuel #15  
Why dont the OP just give it away? Or save it for a LEAKY transmission? He could give it to me i use a quart out of my leaky sealed ranger every few thousand miles or so.

/ ATF and diesel fuel #16  
so.. get the older atf that you can still get.. IE.. 70's era technology.. like type f..

me? I like some type f and mineral spirits or kerosene and a lil naptha in a hand squirt can as a penetrant oil.

soundguy

Never put "Type F" in anything but a ford transmission!!!
Type F has " grit" in it. Will wipe out a diesel pump.

/ ATF and diesel fuel #17  
Never put "Type F" in anything but a ford transmission!!!
Type F has " grit" in it. Will wipe out a diesel pump.

Type F as in FULL O JUNK?:laughing::laughing:

J

/ ATF and diesel fuel #18  
I've got a couple of gallons of used brake fluid (DOT 4 mostly), some old power steering fluid, some used carb clearner solvents, and some used battery acid, but I don't have any used ATF.

Which of these chemicals, if I filter them through a cheesecloth to remove the big chunks, are good to recycle through my RV's Mercedes diesel engine, or should I just dump them all into my tractors fuel tanks?

Don't forget that the cheese cloth can still be wrung out and used to make cheese...:confused2:

(yeah, I know you're joking...me too)

Ray66V -- I read your link. Thanks, lots of good stuff there. It looks like 2 cycle is good for the diesel fuel system. The ULSD caution seems to be only for engines that have a DPF. Interesting how simple 2 cycle beats the addition of other chemicals that are rated for improvements in lubricity ! I mean, ?? Didn't they check if FPPF Lubricity Plus Fuel Power makes it less lubricious? Guess I'll continue to use 2 cycle oil in the diesel with more confidence.

/ ATF and diesel fuel #19  
in the late 90's i was a motor pool mechanic with 25 hummers running 6.2 diesel engines, and oh what poor things they were. We added half of a coffee cup of ATF every fill up. It worked great, and helped. Later they told us that they changed the chemistry and it did seem to quit working

An old timer said of coarse they would change it, why sell 99 cent ATF when you can sell 4 dollar additive

old diesels seem to like it, newer one don't.

I sure would hate to have problems in a new hot **** tractor due to ATF in the fuel, but would dump a snort in my 85 Kubota any day

/ ATF and diesel fuel #20  
A friend sent me an email saying that a 50-50 mix of ATF & acetone makes for a great penetrating oil.

> For all of you that are mechanically inclined.....
> Penetrating Oils Compared
>
> Machinist's Workshop magazine actually tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts. Significant results! They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.
>
> Penetrating oil .......... Average load
> None ..................... 516 pounds
> WD-40 .................... 238 pounds
> PB Blaster ............... 214 pounds
> Liquid Wrench ............ 127 pounds
> Kano Kroil ............... 106 pounds
> ATF-Acetone mix............ 53 pounds
>
> The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone.
>
> Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one particular test. A local machinist group mixed up a batch and all now use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.