Oil & Fuel ATF and diesel fuel

/ ATF and diesel fuel #21  
A friend sent me an email saying that a 50-50 mix of ATF & acetone makes for a great penetrating oil.

> For all of you that are mechanically inclined.....
> Penetrating Oils Compared
>
> Machinist's Workshop magazine actually tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts. Significant results! They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.
>
> Penetrating oil .......... Average load
> None ..................... 516 pounds
> WD-40 .................... 238 pounds
> PB Blaster ............... 214 pounds
> Liquid Wrench ............ 127 pounds
> Kano Kroil ............... 106 pounds
> ATF-Acetone mix............ 53 pounds
>
> The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone.
>
> Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one particular test. A local machinist group mixed up a batch and all now use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.

If that is actually the case, wouldn't the people who sell penetrating oil be using a similar formula?

After all, it seems as if you could corner the market right now, by offering a product that is far more effective than the rest.

It is not a secret formula, so they have to know about it.

I don't doubt that ATF-acetone is cheaper, I doubt it is that it is that much superior.

I have used lots of different penetrating oils in over 30 years of working in the auto repair business, including the ATF mixture, none of them stood out.

Sorry, but I must remain skeptical.

/ ATF and diesel fuel #22  
and the acetone evaps fast.. faster than naptha.

I use atf, naptha, and mineral spirits or diesel, or kerosene in a squirt bottle.

soundguy

/ ATF and diesel fuel #23  
and the acetone evaps fast.. faster than naptha.

I use atf, naptha, and mineral spirits or diesel, or kerosene in a squirt bottle.

soundguy

And acetone is more flammable and I think worse for your health. A combination that will scare off corporate lawyers.

I tend to believe the atf/acetone mix properties being good for penetrating. The fast evaporation rate will transport the atf lube faster. Think how a coffee spill dries. It makes a dark outer ring and a light inner area.

/ ATF and diesel fuel #24  
I just pass on the info; but I intend to try the acetone/ATF mix the next time I need a penetrating oil.

/ ATF and diesel fuel #25  
The mechanic at a place I worked used to tell me to take a small tub and mix ATF/acetone in a 50/50 and soak anything that was covered in rust in it for a day or two. Obviously in a well ventilated spark free environment. Was just thinking of doing it the other day when I found some old axe heads and splitting wedges in the barn. Thanks for the reminder. Now if only I had some spare ATF. :)7

/ ATF and diesel fuel #26  
Never put "Type F" in anything but a ford transmission!!!
Type F has " grit" in it. Will wipe out a diesel pump.

Some 2 stroke dirt bikes actually use Type F in their manual transmissions.
It hasn't got any grit in it unless it is used.

Now I'm not advocating using it in diesel fuel anyway:thumbsup:

/ ATF and diesel fuel #27  

Now I'm not advocating using it in diesel fuel anyway:thumbsup:

Yikes! I've never run into that. Everything I've ever owned is either 80wt or something darn close. Except for my 4strokes, those are engine oil.

9 years ago one of my forum members was freaking out that he had toasted the engine in his 650R. A while into the rebuild, he finally admitted to using straight ATF as an engine oil after listening to many others touting it's "superior qualities". Oops..... Very expensive one. It's a great reason to be VERY careful in following recommendations given by someone hundreds or thousand of miles and one keyboard away.

Me, I run something that vaguely resembles the mfg'ers recommendations. NH doesn't recommend I run it in the engine, and Mobil labeled it ATF for a reason.

I have a few quarts of new ATF, that have been in my shop a few years and in my sadly missed grandfathers shed for eons before that, currently holding a 2smoke motor in stasis until I have the time to finish cleaning and reassembling it after an attempt at setting a new record in deep pond diving with a dirtbike. Obviously, I failed in the attempt.:D ATF does seem to be good for this task because it is relatively cheap, is THIN which allows for more thorough flushing, and appears to break down crud almost as good as diesel.

The used oil will be used for firestarter in my woodstove this winter.

/ ATF and diesel fuel #28  
The mechanic at a place I worked used to tell me to take a small tub and mix ATF/acetone in a 50/50 and soak anything that was covered in rust in it for a day or two. Obviously in a well ventilated spark free environment. Was just thinking of doing it the other day when I found some old axe heads and splitting wedges in the barn. Thanks for the reminder. Now if only I had some spare ATF. :)7

the acetone won't be there for long.. just the atf!

soundguy

/ ATF and diesel fuel #29  

:

Well.. grit is a commonly used term, but not technically correct.
I should have said type F has aggressive friction modifiers in it and will wipe out a diesel pump.
Google it.:)

/ ATF and diesel fuel #30  
If I see ATF on the 3rd day of estate sales when stuff is 25% of the price they show, I buy it and add it to my tractor's diesel fuel. Used to add it to the tank of the 1983 Benz diesel we had, but I won't put it in the new 2010 TDI.

Ralph