Attached GARAGE (homeowner) thoughts

/ Attached GARAGE (homeowner) thoughts #21  
Well, The question in the title kind of sums it up! Lets dig deeper.....

Say you have a full size truck and regardless if you live in the country or suburbia, your truck seems tight in your garage! I am looking for those folks who have trucks that manage to park in the garage! What size door will fit that 3500 chevy, or the 350 ford? I know that situations change when you own a dual rear wheel truck. However, it seems that garages are shrinking and trucks can't fit in there. What are your thoughts, suggestions? Do you live in a house that you gotta park it outside, or were forced to build a barn/shop to park your vehicle? I am thinking that (9' overhead and 8' wide "will fit" a full size truck? Is this too small....Or?

Pic is for reference:

10’ wide x 9’ high work well for my truck and 3500 van. 10’ wide is also the minimum to allow my boat and utility trailer to back in with some clearance, and there are times that I park them in the garage for different purposes.

/ Attached GARAGE (homeowner) thoughts
Thank you all for your replies! I am amazed that folks would even park an electric vehicle in a garage and attempt to charge them... Most of us had NI-Cad chargers in the 80's and they would warm up using the charger from Radio Shack. The garage is attached and will contain (pre-1980) vehicles, young folks call them Antiques; I call them "easy to work on"! Thanks for posting pictures of your truck in a garage and disclosing the size of the door. In GA (gated communities) seem to all have spec houses and attached garages. Most can't get a truck inside - or use the space as storage instead.

/ Attached GARAGE (homeowner) thoughts #23  
As many pointed out insurance don’t like attached garage and if you are planning to get a welder in there, forget it. To me attached garage end up being a man cave and a shed plus the wife is too close so you end up building a real garage further back.

/ Attached GARAGE (homeowner) thoughts #24  
When I built my house in 1979, vehicles were getting smaller due to higher gas prices. I had just traded my full size Chevy pickup for a mid size S10. Thinking they would be adequate, I installed 8' x 8' doors on the attached garage, and very soon regretted it.

Vehicles got bigger again, and within 5 years, I was back to driving a full size pickup. Although the truck would fit through the 8' wide doors, the mirrors had to be folded to do it. This was before remote folding mirrors were an option, and it had to be done manually. Big pain in the neck.

Although I was able to get full size vehicles through an 8' door, my wife & kids had a lot of trouble. Lots of scrapes and broken mirrors over the years.

Lesson learned. Now, I wouldn't consider anything narrower than 10'.

/ Attached GARAGE (homeowner) thoughts #25  
I put a 16 foot door in my shop; I love it. Can get two cars in easy (after I move my planer, joiner, radial arm saw, mower and band saw. :giggle:

/ Attached GARAGE (homeowner) thoughts #26  
Around here most 2 car garages have 1 big door. Mine on the house is 18x7 tall. 7' tall is the standard... I have 18x10 tall on my shop. No problems at all.

/ Attached GARAGE (homeowner) thoughts #27  
I have two attached, three detached, and even one off-site. Guess which vehicles get used almost 100% of the time? The ones in the attached garage, out of sheer convenience.

That said, if building my own house, I’d just have 6 garage bays all detached. A breezeway would be nice, but is also a connection to the main house over which fire can travel.

I have doors ranging from 7 feet to 10 feet wide, all 7’ high. The pickup truck fits thru the 8 ft wide doors, but with less than an inch spare to the mirrors on each side. It works when needed, but not a great option for daily use. 9ft or wider would be fine for most trucks, and my 10 ft wide door works well for trailers.

/ Attached GARAGE (homeowner) thoughts #28  
I have two attached, three detached, and even one off-site. Guess which vehicles get used almost 100% of the time? The ones in the attached garage, out of sheer convenience.

That said, if building my own house, I’d just have 6 garage bays all detached. A breezeway would be nice, but is also a connection to the main house over which fire can travel.

I have doors ranging from 7 feet to 10 feet wide, all 7’ high. The pickup truck fits thru the 8 ft wide doors, but with less than an inch spare to the mirrors on each side. It works when needed, but not a great option for daily use. 9ft or wider would be fine for most trucks, and my 10 ft wide door works well for trailers.
:oops:
You are a engineer right ? I guess that's what I should've done for a living...

/ Attached GARAGE (homeowner) thoughts #29  
Just because you don't own and EV, doesn't mean you are all right with parking in an attached garage.
I read a few stories a while back about Ford having sensors on the brake master cylinder that would cause a vehicle fire.
...and now they have vehicles that have cracked fuel injectors that leak fuel and could cause fires (don't park in garage).

My garage has 9 ft wide doors that are 7 ft tall. The truck with tow mirrors fits no problem.

/ Attached GARAGE (homeowner) thoughts #30  
Well, The question in the title kind of sums it up! Lets dig deeper.....

Say you have a full size truck and regardless if you live in the country or suburbia, your truck seems tight in your garage! I am looking for those folks who have trucks that manage to park in the garage! What size door will fit that 3500 chevy, or the 350 ford? I know that situations change when you own a dual rear wheel truck. However, it seems that garages are shrinking and trucks can't fit in there. What are your thoughts, suggestions? Do you live in a house that you gotta park it outside, or were forced to build a barn/shop to park your vehicle? I am thinking that (9' overhead and 8' wide "will fit" a full size truck? Is this too small....Or? 🤔

Pic is for reference:
Our garage has a 16 ft and a 10 ft wide doors. truck is parked in the 16 ft bay!

It's not just how wide doors are, you also have "stuff". Our layout is

end wall/5 foot space/10 ft door/ 3 ft space/16 ft door/3 ft space/end wall. All 24 ft deep

It is attached to house at the kitchen door for easy unloading. Fire protection; house has sprinkler system, garage separated from house by 8 inch poured ICF concrete wall.

we park a Subaru and a Tahoe in it. lots of room