Attacking that power problem CT225

/ Attacking that power problem CT225 #1  

bbse

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3325
Bought a new CT225 back in August, ever since I have had it it has been very weak. I did not want to go off half cocked so I have waited until spring and 50 hours to give it a chance to Break in. At 47 hours it is still without power so I took her into the dealer.

BTW, the power issue is just no torque and stalling. One of the other guys here with a larger machine had a similar problem and I think it was just a hydraulic adjustment. We shall see. But I can put it against a tree stump in my grass covered field, low range, wide open and I can't spin a tire! I can't climb hills in mid range even with no implements...:mad:...It will just stall out. I still have my Kioti LK3054 thank goodness, it is a little bull dozier, it will not only climb those same hills with implements, it will accelerate in even in 5th gear.

I will let you know what happens.

/ Attacking that power problem CT225 #2  
That doesn't sound right for sure. My CT230 seems to have plenty of power for it's size. I have never stalled it!, when I'm working it real hard, the RPM' will take a bit of a dip, but the second I let up on the pedal a bit, it shoots right back up to it's set range. I can lift the front end off the ground w. my front end loader without any problem. The hydraulics were stong enough to lift an overfilled bucket of lime that actually raised one of my back tires off the ground. I have plowed snow in High gear, and it will do very well until I am going up hill, then the rpms drop. The only time I find it necessary to put her in low gear is when I am digging with the front end loader, the rest of the time Mid has plenty of power.
Sounds to me like either your reliefs are set too low, and you are going into relief and dumping back to the tank, or the pump is very weak. Either way, I'd be on the dealer to make it right or replace it with a new one. I'd make the dealer operate the machine while you are there, and make him go through the same type of tests: use the bucket to lift the tractor, run uphill in high, push against something, dig into a pile, ect.

Good luck.

/ Attacking that power problem CT225
I never had a problem with the FEL lifting the tractor. It can do that. But I could only brush cut up inclines, even shallow ones, in low range and even then I have to lift off the pedal a lot. If I stop on a hill in mid range I cannot take back off. So all my work so far has been done in low. In High range I cannot get past 2500 rpm even on flat road. and I cannot do any inclines at all. So I hope they can figure something out or I want a different tractor. I am not taking this one home until I do test it out.

/ Attacking that power problem CT225 #4  
I never had a problem with the FEL lifting the tractor.

That means your implement pump relief is prob not set at too low of a
pressure. But still get it checked....Bobcat has not been checking RV
settings.

As for the HST, I am not surprised that you can not go up any significant
slope in Mid range. I can't get up a slope of over about 20% in M in my
CK30 with 5 more hp. H is useless, except for driving down a level road.

As for the tires spinning when you put the loader up against a tree and the
HST RV stops you: I would expect that if your tractor has excellent
traction (good ballast and AG tires, for example). I don't really like that,
but I don't have that problem too often. If you think your HST RV is not
working right (it is not adustable at about 5000psi), try the same exercise in
reverse. Reverse uses an identical RV set at the same pressure.

/ Attacking that power problem CT225 #5  
This is one thing I didnt like about the ct235 loaner I have right now. It seems quite anemic but I relate it to the weight. Its quite heavy for its size.

/ Attacking that power problem CT225
This is one thing I didnt like about the ct235 loaner I have right now. It seems quite anemic but I relate it to the weight. Its quite heavy for its size.

Imagine it with 8 less HP.

/ Attacking that power problem CT225 #7  
Seems like there are some problems with that loaner. I climb 30 degree slopes with mine with out a problem; in low gear of course. Mine has adequate power and traction.

/ Attacking that power problem CT225 #8  
It would go up anything in low range of course but it feels like it could use more get up and go. I run the kubota in high for anything but dirt work and it would move along without effort. Brush cutting, finish mowing or plowing snow it would do in high range with power to spare or it would spin the tires trying. But it weighs 1/2 as much so I think thats the whole difference. The bobcat is heavy and only 5 more hp which I think is what makes it feel underpowered. The weight is nice at times though. Even though it wouldnt push the snow in high range, in mid range it pushed easily 2x as much as I can with the 7800. Its a give and take thing. :thumbsup:

/ Attacking that power problem CT225 #9  
Ive been done this road before and I will tell you what I found out, these bobcat tractors are way underpowered!! My 440 cant get out of its own way most of the time and wont do the work of smaller tractors ive run or owned. I have run CT335 and 235's and they arent any better when it comes to transfering the power to the ground. I even talked to Bobcat engineering with no satisfaction, my relief factory setting was 2100psi and I took it to 2800 and it helped some but 100 hrs later its still half the tractor I need most of the time. I used alot this winter moving snow with box blade and loader along with some other brands and I hate to say my 440 power wise was the worst. I got out worked by a 30hp bota and deere on a couple of jobs:mad:

I think the problem is several things, hydro system very inefficent, engine lacks torque, and gearing is to high. Solving the problem is buy another brand of tractor:confused:

Good luck and keep us posted on yr results but be prepared to be disappointed

/ Attacking that power problem CT225 #10  
The problem is those power sucking hydros.
Get the shuttle shift gear model and your power problems will disappear..;)