ATV for farm\commercial use

/ ATV for farm\commercial use #1  

KB9UDE

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320 John Deere x758
Hi guys

I am looking for a new atv for my farm and pasture maintenance jobs. I have previously owned Arctic Cat and Honda utility 4x4 atv's and was for the most part satisfied with them doing anything from trail riding to plowing parking lots full of drifted snow... I am looking for a smaller (250-500cc) 4x4 atv again and would like to know what you guys are finding these days as far as dealer pricing and product reliability. I am not really tied to any brand at this point.

Specs I am looking for:
250-500cc
4x4
utility racks
ability to add winch
manual transmission (floor shift-not electric shift)
rear hitch
lots of load capacity on racks-remember I weigh 300lbs alone:eek:

/ ATV for farm\commercial use #2  
Hi guys

I am looking for a new atv for my farm and pasture maintenance jobs. I have previously owned Arctic Cat and Honda utility 4x4 atv's and was for the most part satisfied with them doing anything from trail riding to plowing parking lots full of drifted snow... I am looking for a smaller (250-500cc) 4x4 atv again and would like to know what you guys are finding these days as far as dealer pricing and product reliability. I am not really tied to any brand at this point.

Specs I am looking for:
250-500cc
4x4
utility racks
ability to add winch
manual transmission (floor shift-not electric shift)
rear hitch
lots of load capacity on racks-remember I weigh 300lbs alone:eek:

last year i bought a 2008 Honda Rubicon with a Warn 2,500 lb. winch and the total cost was $6,200. i was replacing a 2007 Honda Foreman with the footshift that was stolen. i had initially gone to purchase another Foreman like the one that was stolen, but saw they had a Rubicon on the lot. i figured shoot i might as well ride it and see if i like the automatic(Honda's hydrostatic transmission known as Hondamatic). I FELL IN LOVE!!! after riding it for 10 min i knew i HAD to have it. the Honda Foreman is a 475cc and the Rubicon is a 499cc. most think you wont tell much difference in power but i could tell a big difference. also with the Rubicon you get a low gear which would come in handy with your snow removal projects. you have a shift lever that's like a car transmission(forward, neutral, reverse, and low range). also you have the option to shift manually with the buttons(i never use this), and a D1 and D2 setting. D1 is used for crusing around while D2 is used for torque. rack capacity on both atv's is really good as well. dont know the exact numbers to give you though, but i can tell you that i have had a 100 lb bag of corn on the front and rear racks and havent had a bit of trouble with the handling.

/ ATV for farm\commercial use #3  
Before reading RollingFarms post, I was going to say the Rubicon is your choice! Great machine and will last for a long time with just oil changes for maintenance. If you want smaller, Honda makes a 400 Rancher that is almost the same as the Rubicon, a bit smaller, but lacks low range.

/ ATV for farm\commercial use
I had a Rancher at one time. All my other atv's have been arctic cat's. The one thing I did not like about the Rancher was the lack of low range...

Any other suggestions??

I really want a mechanical shift on the floor-not electronic but I will test drive the Rubicon.

/ ATV for farm\commercial use #5  
There is only two machines to choose from :
Kubota RTV & RUBICON
Both has their areas on the farms ......
We work the devil out of them down here in the south on the farms and plantations. The Auto / Hydro transmission is the only way to go...
Haven't found nothing that they will not move or work with >>>>

We have one farm hand down here, he a great worker, dependable, and devoted >>>> but he can tear up more equipment than any man alive.
He has yet done anything to the oldest Rubicon we have, and still runs as good as the day it was brought to the farm. WE HAVE RUN HONDA SINCE THEY INTRODUCED First ATC 90 THREE WHEELER IN 1970 (boy, was that thing ugly ) This farm has run Honda wheelers ever since. And can honestly say, never have we ever put one in the shop !!!!
Grab the Rubicon, it will make you a great farm hand !!!!!

>>>>>>>>> two guns

/ ATV for farm\commercial use #6  
I've got a Yamaha Kodiak 450 that I plow snow with. It's got low range and a fully locking front diff. which makes it a real tank. It's an '05 carb'd version but it starts instantly every time. The only thing I didn't like was the factory tires, but they're long gone. Of course, you can't go wrong with Honda either.

Attachments

• DSC01369.jpg
    DSC01369.jpg
    633.4 KB · Views: 1,586
   / ATV for farm\commercial use #7  
I highly recommend liquid cooling for summer work in the fields. I use mine to harrow, haul logs, pull trailers, etc and can say the ones without liquid cooling get very hot on the legs.

I have an Arctic Cat 500 and a 400 and a Kawasaki 250 along with a Polaris Ranger 700. Each has a niche, none is best at everything.

/ ATV for farm\commercial use #8  
Yamaha Big Bear. Super low first gear, manual shift, 400 cc, air/oil cooled, 4x4, inexpensive by ATV standards, no doo dads. I have one it is my 5th ATV and is great for WORK.

/ ATV for farm\commercial use #9  
I have a Kaw Prarie 700 4x4. I'd steer you in that direction if you are looking to buy used. I know you said 250-500cc but the prarie's are like a 700cc motor in a 300cc frame. I know guys that have eiger 400's and kawasaki 300's, and physically I am the same size. When I bout mine, I was looking small too, like you I didn't want the ones that are as big as trucks like the Grizzly's, Polaris 700's, and King Quads. I know guys with all of them and they were just physically bigger than I wanted.

Two reasons why I just love the prarie, 1. Very powerful and fast (68mph), and 2. It's liquid cooled. I can roll my lawn and not have to worry about overheating due to insufficent airflow. My dad has a prarie 300, which is physicall the same size as mine, but it's air cooled and he cannot roll his lawn without getting hot.

/ ATV for farm\commercial use #10  
Yamaha Big Bear. Super low first gear, manual shift, 400 cc, air/oil cooled, 4x4, inexpensive by ATV standards, no doo dads. I have one it is my 5th ATV and is great for WORK.

Agreed..I had a Big Bear prior to my RTV500..Used mainly for general work and snow plowing. In low range, you couldn't stop it. It was no frills for sure, manual shift etc...But was a great machine. Kinda felt like I had a model T though when my neighbor brought his new Polaris Sportsman 2up back...Man that thing is like a Caddy.