ATV for farm\commercial use

/ ATV for farm\commercial use #11  
The oil cooler feature on the Big Bear is pretty neat, big oil radiator with a thermostatically controlled fan. The benefits of liquid cooling without having to fool with antifreeze.
I'd owned a Honda Rancher when they first came out. Great machine, got sold during a divorce. I looked at a new Rancher again but didn't like the way the rear brake drum killed the ground clearance, the original wasn't like that. I straddle lots of large rocks with the Big Bear easily I'd be dragging on with the Rancher.

/ ATV for farm\commercial use #12  
I've used a 2001 Polaris Sportsman 500 for years for all manner of work. Snow plowing, harrowing (disc) pulling manure spreaders, dragging trees, dragging pastures, pulling huge wagon loads of wood, building fence. Its been a real workhorse for us. My son also rode the living you know what out of it taking it up and down the creek and getting it stuck and pulling it straight up a bank with the winch. I have swam my river a few times with it. During the past 8 years the only thing I have done to it was replace the battery twice.

I also like honda products but have never needed to buy a new ATV so I still have a Polaris.

/ ATV for farm\commercial use #13  
What is relatively surprising for me is that, until this thread, I really didn't think about using my Suzuki King Quad 700 for hard labor and not spending a dime (except for a new battery last year) on it since 2005. I use it at times like now when the fields are really soft yet I need to do some work. I have about 1300 miles on it and probably 1100 of them have been pulling a 1200 pound cultipacker through the fields or pulling some sort of trailer etc. Now that I say that, I'm sure I'll probably need to replace the drive belt but it's past due anyway. I really like having the pulling power of the big bore ATV yet not have much ground pressure. I have a set of 27" Mud Lites on it that are probably a bit past half worn out but they seem to pull better than when new and have a flatter footprint.

I don't doubt that there are some others out there that may be just as good, but I've really worked this Suzuki King Quad more like a tractor than an ATV and it's not let me down yet. Based on no other information on them than actual experience, (in other words, I have not researched specs etc. on ATV's and compared them) I have to say I can recommend one of them for farm or commercial use. Good luck.

/ ATV for farm\commercial use #14  
Have you considered a UTV?

D.

/ ATV for farm\commercial use
Darin

Yes I have considered a UTV. Looking at Deere and Kubota...

John

/ ATV for farm\commercial use #16  
Darin

John

I've had about a half a dozen Gators and now have a Kubota RTV. I like both of them and don't really have a preference as far as one being better than the other after owning both. I went with the RTV1100 because of the enclosed cab and A/C.

Still, there are times when even a UTV weighs too much for what I need. The example of pulling my cultipacker is a good example. It works best when the ground is either soft of freshly tilled. In both cases I need as little ground pressure as possible. The only thing I see that would be better than the King Quad I have now may be one of the older 6 wheeled Gators. They were great about having very little ground pressure. However, with no suspension, they do have their limitations.

/ ATV for farm\commercial use #17  
Darin

John

Take a look at the Polaris Ranger - good stuff.

I like my Gator - was a good rig. Once the Ranger Crew came out - we were sold.

D.

/ ATV for farm\commercial use #18  
i have a 2000 big bear 400 that i bought new. been to **** and back with her. i would not trade her for anything else. shes been upside down a few times, hit a couple trees,she might not be the prettiest, or fastest, but she always makes it back home. the only thing i have replaced is the brake pads and the battery and keep a few spare spark plugs around