ATV fun

/ ATV fun #11  
250r's are great but they are getting hard to find and when you do find one its real expensive. A lot of AtV motocross racer use them. I was reading a magazine the other day on quads and they were setting a raptor and 400ex up for motocross. The totals on the parts for each one was over 13000 dollars. That destroyed my motocross dream. They tested them against a 250R and it killed them. I might have to start lawn mower racing. its a little cheaper and you can go over 60 mph /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ ATV fun #12  
Thanks guys

He is a while off yet but it seemed like a good time/posy to ask the question.

I don't really want to get him one of the real small ones because then I'll have to keep getting bigger ones until he is (almost) full size.

My idiot neighbour lets his equally idiot kid ride a 600cc (Yes 600cc) trailbike all over the place, often without a helmet.

The noise annoys the hell out of me but I figure the noise will soon be replaced by the sound of an ambulance then hopefully no bike noise for a LONG while !!

Cheers

/ ATV fun #13  
Your neighbor is exactly the sort of knuckle dragging dummy i was referring to. My riding buddies started out their little guys with full riding gear and they supervise their riding. These guys won't feel safe without a helmet when they are older because the been wearing one since they where little squirts.
The mini market for quads is packed with manufactures right now. It is just like the compact tractor market. I would suggest doing research on the ATV connection discussion board. There are a some boneheads on there but it is easy to tell when you are talking to one of em.
I think it is great u wanna get your son a quad , get your own to and ride with him. Start a hobby you can share with him for many years. Get one of those little battery powered buggers for him next year and go from there.

Attachments

• 35-191678-Darrin.jpg
    35-191678-Darrin.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 92
   / ATV fun #14  
Yep unfortunately I am sandwiched between ferals at the moment. Idiot on one side and 2 loud bikes on the other.

I think I might leave my outboard motor running flat chat one day and go out for a few hours !!

I will get a quad one day.

Cheers

/ ATV fun #15  
Does anybody have any suggestions for a 6-year-old? Either a bike or a 4-wheeler. She is very concious and responsible. She rides a friend of our's Polaris 250. She can't touch the floor boards, but manouvers it everywhere. Very smoothly, I might add. Anyway, I've always had bikes and loved them. My current one is an XR650R. My wife has a 660R Raptor (yes, my wife!). I took both my bike and her Raptor on a trail ride with a friend. The trails were very rocky. I could fly down these trails on my bike (and very confidently too!). I was not impressed with the Raptor at all. I have dumped many bikes in the past and do not want to dump a 4-wheeler on me. That gets me back to the choice for my 6-year-old. I'm thinking something like a 50cc dirt bike will fit the bill. What do you think?

/ ATV fun #16  
I started on a Honda Odyssey when I was 7. Got my first bike when I was 9 (a real lemon - Yamaha MX80, 2-stroke with oil injection), then an XR100 when I was 11. Stopped for a while and then bought an XR250R when I was 22. Don't have it anymore, but do miss it on occasion.

I've seen a number of options for the fledgling dirt rider:

The ever popular Z50 - not much of a dirt bike though.

There's those little 50cc automatics, not sure of the designation.

There used to be a Honda CR60, maybe a little much for a 6 year old, though.

And, finally, when I had my XR100, there was this other kid who had a YZ50. This thing was a rocket. We were neck and neck in a straight line drag race. Definitely over-powered for the size of the operator that it was designed to carry.

One thing I learned early, was how to "abort mission." I don't think launching yourself clear of a 4-wheeler is as easy as it is on a bike.