Sprayer ATV sprayers

/ ATV sprayers
The sprayer came in on Wednesday, and I was able to pick it up today, Fimco LG3025. After I play with it tomorrow, I'll tell everyone what I think of it.

/ ATV sprayers
OK, I put the sprayer together today and tried her out. My initial impression is a good one. I think it will serve my needs. Again, it is made by Fimco, purchased at TSC. The tank holds 25 gallons and it is equipped with both a gun and three nozzle "boomless" boom that is capable of spraying a 30 ft path.

The gun is activated if you pull the trigger. There exist a lock out device on the trigger to keep it/you from accidentally spraying it when not needed. Other than that, the gun is always ready to go.

The pump quickly pressurizes the lines to about 42 PSI. There is a pressure release valve attached that is connected to a short hose which redirects released liquid back into the tank. This is how you adjust the pressure on the gun. Let's say you want only 20psi instead of 40. You slightly open the pressure release, thus bleeding off the extra pressure faster than the pump is capable of building it. This is a Simple design that seems to work quite effectively.

Someone said that maintaining a constant flow rate with these ATV tanks was difficult. With this unit, you simply open the pressure release slightly as you engage the gun. This causes the pump to run continuously, which overcomes a pulsating effect you will experience if the gun is used at full pressure. For example, at full pressure, the pump stops, but it starts as soon as the gun is used. The pump is fast and able to rebuild full pressure while gun is being used. It rebuilds full pressure and then shuts off again, only to start up again, only to shut off, only to restart, only to shut off, only to restart, and you get this funky pulse to the spray pattern. Well, slightly bleeding off a little of the pressure causes the pump to run continuously and deliver a smooth spray pattern. Additionally, the required bleed is very slight, so you really don't loose force coming out of the gun. Toying with the bleed valve is not needed when running the rear spray nozzles.

The rear spray nozzles are mounted on a short 3ft boom. The one in the center sprays down and covers something like 6 ft. The nozzles on either end spray down and out. They cover the 15 ft or so to each side. Each nozzle can be turned off, so you may run only the center if you like. The end nozzles pivot up or down. Each click in the pivot cycle equals 15 degrees. The instructions tell you to run the end nozzles at one click up or 15 degrees above horizontal to achieve the advertized spray pattern. Well, I toyed with this and decided that I like to set them at horizontal or even 15 degrees down. Actually, I think that 15 degrees down offers the best spray pattern. Sure you loose some of the fan effect, but even at 15 degrees below horizontal (or one click down) the nozzles deliver a 16 plus foot spray pattern. This pattern is very concentrated and strong also. I felt that elevating the nozzles in a slightly elevated position created a course dropplet pattern on either end. Maybe this would work, but I've found that grass requires a "good" spraying of roundup to kill it. So, I will probably opt for the 16 ft pattern when clearing areas for my seed beds.

Hope to actually put it to work next week.

/ ATV sprayers #13  
HRS do you have some concrete that you can spray with clear water and then post a picture of the coverage of the boom-less nozzle?

Is your regulator and pump capable of producing a continuous 60 PSI or better?

/ ATV sprayers
Pine, On this unit I'd guess that it only builds to 40 psi. The only thing mentioned in the manual about adjusting pressure is as follows...

*When the bypass valve is closed, pressure is at the highest point.
* Opening the valve will decrease pressure.

So when closing the valve, the pressure gage reads a little over 40psi. This seems to be plenty of pressure though. The gun shots a strong stream quite a few feet, and the booms nozzles are able to deliver that 30 ft spray pattern. So, the pump/pressure seems just fine for what it is advertised for. I can't wait to put it in the field.

As far as the concrete test, I'll see what I can do.

3720, Thanks. I have looked at these for some time myself. Actually, the only frustrating part to it was trying to mount it to my ATV. I was not able to use some of the bracets provided, just did not fit my ATV rack, but that did not matter. It also has two designated areas to attach ratchet straps, so I was able to overcome that problem in about 2 minutes. Also, I clamped the boom brackets to my bumber instead of the rear rack. A snap to take on and off like this. But each will modify as he sees fit.

/ ATV sprayers #16  
I bought the same sprayer. After mounting it and after only spraying about 5 to 8 gallons, the motor quit. The pump started smoking and started melting the wires. I got the China version pump. I went to TSC and they exchanged it with a FloJet pump. It looked more durable than the yellow headed China pump. Well, they have changed the sprayers from when they used the FloJet pump that was used on the older versions. The FloJet pumps in the opposite direction and the pump mounts on the opposite side of the tank. So, I am now waiting on another China pump to arrive at TSC for me to exchange for the proper pump. I hope that the next China pump is better. If they aren't, I will "Southern Engineer" a way to put a Flo Jet or Surflo pump on after my warranty expires.

/ ATV sprayers
Well, I ran 20 gallons through it while playing with it. Sure, there are plenty of pumps one could put on the tank after warranty. Such pumps are used in just about all RV's with onboard fresh water tanks. So, finding a replacement should not be a problem.

/ ATV sprayers #18  
HRS said:
Pine, On this unit I'd guess that it only builds to 40 psi. The only thing mentioned in the manual about adjusting pressure is as follows...

*When the bypass valve is closed, pressure is at the highest point.
* Opening the valve will decrease pressure.

Here's a little tidbit regarding adjusting pressure that's not in the manual:

On the end of the pump, opposite the switch, there is a little square plastic cover. Inside that cover is a screw - the screw controls the adjustment of what pressure the pump will shutoff at.

I have a similar FIMCO ATV sprayer - but it's the one with the 7 nozzle fanspray boom - uses the 45psi, 3.8 gpm pump ...... same as yours I think. I think mine currently runs around 50 or 60 psi.

I found out the above from tech support at Fimco when I was having problems (bad check valve) with my original pump. They were kind enough to send me out a complete new pump (rather than just the check valve.)

/ ATV sprayers #19  
rswyan said:
I found out the above from tech support at Fimco when I was having problems (bad check valve) with my original pump. They were kind enough to send me out a complete new pump (rather than just the check valve.)

That's great customer service, can't ask for more than that.

/ ATV sprayers
rswyan,

Thanks for the info. I've seen the cap you are making reference to. I'll give it a look. Yes, it seems the pump is the same on the two units you mentioned, actually has "45psi pump" printed on the label.

Might some of the problems experienced with such pumps come from the trash that finds its way into the tank when it is being assembled? I took the time to run my hand around the inside of the tank and pull out the fine plastic shavings from tank being drilled, etc. Sure, the intake hose has a filtering screen on the end of it, but these shavings were nice and fine. I would image that they could cause a good deal of damage if they enter the pumps impeller.