ATV, UTV, Lawn Tractor, or Sub Compact trailer choices

/ ATV, UTV, Lawn Tractor, or Sub Compact trailer choices
John Mc,

Your recent posts have been interesting because I've never seen the tandem Polar units except on video or website - the stores all carry the single axle choices.

1. What I knew when I purchased 2 years ago - was that I could upgrade to the tandem option which as yet is not needed at this time. But better understanding how it works is often great fertilizer for new thoughts :)

2. That I needed to create some better method of switching hitch methods - when I flip flop from scut to lawn tractor use with the trailer. Looking at the Bannon and then looking at your unit pictured - has now given me that concept I could create.

3. I've now come up with an idea to enhance the one flaw I hadn't considered when first buying - the desire to have the unit as a stand alone unit for various purposes (like with my scut and bucket or grapple or forks.

4. I'm also now thinking how I can adapt a method of "quick attach" for the optional side rails I got for the unit originally.

Its funny how inventing or creating ideas sometimes is often a process of "distracted dreaming" LOL. I find lawn mowing has always been a very healthy and fertile method of creating new ideas and perspectives. :)

And I don't even have an atv or utv yet LOL.

One of the benefits of users writing about other products - is it exposes readers to different methods and designs of product size and ability as well as unknown new products or significant new improvements in existing products. In other words: "Seeing different than you know" helps a person appreciate what they may already have in a product or idea, or motivates the person to search further possibilities not yet found.

Last edited:
   / ATV, UTV, Lawn Tractor, or Sub Compact trailer choices #22  
I don't know why you would. It wouldn't be much more work to build a trailer from scratch and it would be a lot better.

I can't build a trailer form scratch because I (blush) don't know how to weld.

I can't build a trailer form scratch because I (blush) don't know how to weld.

joecoin, don't blush - alot of guys who try to build a trailer themselves thought they were "welders" and it turns out they were wrong LOL

Maybe you're better at making money than at building things - so you can focus on planning and designing instead.

Welding is a talent sometimes mastered, but often times practiced, and frequently talked about LOL.

/ ATV, UTV, Lawn Tractor, or Sub Compact trailer choices #24  
Non-welders are in the majority of the worlds population so that's not a problem Joe.

I looked at the vid - The tandem wheeler looks 'flimsy' to me. And the thing you need for a Log-Splitter is a strong chassis.

The dual wheels concept is a budget way of increasing load capacity on the axles.

Yes, you will tear your turf when turning the tandem and carrying a load.

Try looking at your local Agricultural supplier (Farm shop) for ATV Farm Trailers. These are often galvanised steel with wide tyres (I can only describe them as similar to a Golf cart size).

/ ATV, UTV, Lawn Tractor, or Sub Compact trailer choices #25  
One of the benefits of users writing about other products - is it exposes readers to different methods and designs of product size and ability as well as unknown new products or significant new improvements in existing products. In other words: "Seeing different than you know" helps a person appreciate what they may already have in a product or idea, or motivates the person to search further possibilities not yet found.

I agree. I always like seeing what others are considering for trailers (or other projects). People find things that I didn't when I was searching, or have made modifications that are interesting.

/ ATV, UTV, Lawn Tractor, or Sub Compact trailer choices #26  
2. That I needed to create some better method of switching hitch methods - when I flip flop from scut to lawn tractor use with the trailer. Looking at the Bannon and then looking at your unit pictured - has now given me that concept I could create.

I ended up switching my Polar from the pin hitch to the optional 2" ball hitch. The pin did not work well with the draw bar on my tractor. I don't use it behind my tractor much, since it's too small to be a good match, but it's nice to have that option when you need to. The ball hitch just bolted on, and is easily removable if you want to go back to the pin hitch. It would be great to have something that could be switched with no tools, however. I've added a 2" receiver to my logging winch, and will probably add one to my box blade so I'll have hitch capability without removing my commonly used implements.

4. I'm also now thinking how I can adapt a method of "quick attach" for the optional side rails I got for the unit originally.

I've wondered about change my side extensions to be easily removed - possibly held on by pins. However, I think they'd lose a lot of rigidity if they were just pinned on. The other thing I had thought of was something like a piano hinge, so I could fold the sides down for easier loading and unloading. Then I thought about a pin hinge, so I could fold down or remove completely without tools. That one still has me thinking - I'd need to put some sort of keeper on the pins, or knowing me I'd be losing them daily.

/ ATV, UTV, Lawn Tractor, or Sub Compact trailer choices #27  
Check mentioned the Woodland Mills T-Rex trailer. I've always thought that was an interesting option. It converts between a logging trailer and a dump bed (no tools required). The boom pole for loading is an interesting idea, but not necessary for me, since I'd usually be hand-loading split firewood or unsplit rounds. Bigger stuff I'd load with my tractor. The only downsides for my use: (1) while it will carry 2000#, it will only dump 650#, and (2) it's a little light for use behind my tractor (but a good match for a larger ATV or SCUT.

The Woodland Mills Woodland ATV Trailer is another interesting option. Most of it is identical to the T-Rex, but it loses the boom pole and gains the ability to dump the full 2000# (Again, a bit light for what I'd want for use with my tractor.)

/ ATV, UTV, Lawn Tractor, or Sub Compact trailer choices #28  
any body know small engines I got a Yamaha 250 got the timing set valves set , have fire , have fuel but still backfires. any suggestions?

/ ATV, UTV, Lawn Tractor, or Sub Compact trailer choices #29  
any body know small engines I got a Yamaha 250 got the timing set valves set , have fire , have fuel but still backfires. any suggestions?

Might want to start your own thread for that, or at least post in a thread somewhat related to your subject.

I have to apologize for an omission in the descriptions I gave on the polar trailer.

Everything I stated on capabilities and capacities of the 1200 and 1500 pound capacity models was correct and accurate.

Built I forgot to mention a feature many may find useful as I have. The Steel frame structure has one other feature that is especially useful when moving the cart into dumping position when backing up. The frame has a built in pivoting side-to-side joint that allows you to back at angles to your atv/tractor/mower. In other words . . . It's double jointed. 1 joint is the normal pivot point where trailer meets atv/tractor/mower. But the 2d joint is about half way in the middle of the trailer.

As I mentioned previously. . . There are many choices of trailers out there for use with atvs/utvs/sub compact tractors/lawnmower/garden tractors. Polar makes some unique and cost efficient choices. But there are many others as yet not mentioned on this thread.