Auger chain drive question for those with a blower.

/ Auger chain drive question for those with a blower. #21  
At least in my view, I consider Woods a scant cut above Landpride.

Nice ocassional use stuff but for hard use, nothing beats a commercial quality inplement.

/ Auger chain drive question for those with a blower. #22  
At least in my view, I consider Woods a scant cut above Landpride.

Nice ocassional use stuff but for hard use, nothing beats a commercial quality inplement.

Yeah, no doubt...but we're not paying commercial/industrial prices either (even though it may seem like it).
There's a current thread about PTO Leaf Blowers on TBN. When the OP found out what they cost new (upwards to $5K)...well, reckon they weren't expecting that much. Those blowers are marketed toward golf course, municipalities...customers like that...and, for those customers, it isn't an outrageous price. Same thing applies to powered brooms, commercial chippers, etc.

I doubt most of us TBNers do the kind of work that would require commercial quality implements.

/ Auger chain drive question for those with a blower. #23  
Roy...

I don't either (at least with non forage harvesting implements). My take is buy commercial quality (if you can) so problems are basically nonexistent.

My Lucknow basks outside the barn in the summer sun, all summer plus spring and fall and gets mounted around December for a couple wintry blasts and comes off, relegated to it's beside the barn home again.

I chase the dormant wasps nests off the driveline, check the gear oil, spritz the auger chain and it's good to go. When done, it gets greased, chain spritzed again and parked. Been that way for the last 6 years and I expect until I no longer need it (as in I'm deceased).

/ Auger chain drive question for those with a blower. #24  
Roy...

I don't either (at least with non forage harvesting implements). My take is buy commercial quality (if you can) so problems are basically nonexistent.

My Lucknow basks outside the barn in the summer sun, all summer plus spring and fall and gets mounted around December for a couple wintry blasts and comes off, relegated to it's beside the barn home again.

I chase the dormant wasps nests off the driveline, check the gear oil, spritz the auger chain and it's good to go. When done, it gets greased, chain spritzed again and parked. Been that way for the last 6 years and I expect until I no longer need it (as in I'm deceased).

And, you don't mind paying the price, do you?
Looking at your profile...I'd understand that.

/ Auger chain drive question for those with a blower. #25  
There's a machine with a manufacturing defect.
Should it have happened to begin with? No.
The owner needs to contact the retailer.
Both the retailer and manufacturer are well known, respected, and responsible. (even if I am not a huge Woods fan)
The problem will be rectified in the manner that we all expect.
It really isn't a big deal, nor does it need to be blown into one.

/ Auger chain drive question for those with a blower.
There's a machine with a manufacturing defect.
Should it have happened to begin with? No.
The owner needs to contact the retailer.
Both the retailer and manufacturer are well known, respected, and responsible. (even if I am not a huge Woods fan)
The problem will be rectified in the manner that we all expect.
It really isn't a big deal, nor does it need to be blown into one.

Hope youre right and I agree completely. Rechecked and its actually worse than I thought, .075 radial runout and .065 lateral. Ill be calling messicks service dept tomorrow am, hopefully Ill have a happy report. Thanks for the replies though. At least I know that this isnt common.

/ Auger chain drive question for those with a blower. #27  
And, you don't mind paying the price, do you?
Looking at your profile...I'd understand that.

...but it all costs money. At least when something breaks (and it does), I can make a new replacement or at least a temporaty fix until the part arrives.

Least I don't run green.......:)

If it was me and Woods wasn't up to a replacment, I'd fab one.

/ Auger chain drive question for those with a blower. #28  
5030;2610851Least I don't run green.......:)[/quote said:
Not a Deere fan, eh?

Well, your money...

/ Auger chain drive question for those with a blower. #29  
No, I'm not. Not when I have other options for prime movers that cost less and return more efficient gallons per hour per acre.

Actually, I'm not a 'fan' of any brand. I'm a purchaser, not a bystander.

Not to say I don't have any green equipment because I do. Just not tractors.

They are all good today with the exception of some grey market offerings but those aren't even considerable as viable alternatives for me. Just toys.

Besides, I'm color blind......:)

/ Auger chain drive question for those with a blower.
Well an update, RickB was spot on. Woods tech dept and messicks service manager said it didnt sound right. Messicks was going to send a mechanic but once I impressed the service manager with my spiffy use of a dial indicator :laughing: he figured it was a waste of time and they are picking the unit up tomorrow am to inspect it top to bottom. Bear in mind thats a 3:30 round trip, plus the re delivery. So my hats off to messicks for QUICKLY addressing this.:thumbsup: Hopefully its an easy parts in stock fix!