Automobile engine oil in tractors...

/ Automobile engine oil in tractors... #11  
I question that fact that modern motor oil is hard on older flat tappet engines. I agree that the roller cams have been introduced for a number of reasons, fuel economey most likely being one of the biggest. Roller cams came into vogue in race engines many years ago. You can have aggressive cams with really fast ramp speeds with a roller cam. In other words, you can have a "bigger" cam without all the drawbacks of long durations and overlaps by using a roller cam.

/ Automobile engine oil in tractors... #12  
One reason I use Shell Rotella in all of my engines. Gas or diesel. No problems yet in over 15 years of doing this. Figure Delo 400 or Mobil Delvac to be just as good. I am sure there are others too. Diesel specific oils are just better.

10-4 on that, I've been using diesel engine oil in all my gasoline powered engines for decades too! :D

/ Automobile engine oil in tractors... #13  
I have 3 bikes. They all get various wts. of diesel oil. The 2 Japanese because of the unit tranny. Diesel oil has no friction modifyers. Bad for the clutch.
The H.D. gets 20-50. Never a problem.

/ Automobile engine oil in tractors... #14  
I question that fact that modern motor oil is hard on older flat tappet engines

"Newer" oil is harder on flat tappet engines....several studies have been done on it. My issue is with the terminology used when discussing the issue.

"Quick death" is an exaggeration and is totally unnecessary.

And any commentary from sources that are marketing a product should be viewed as possibly having an agenda.

If I'm looking for accurate and un-biased information on the benefits of anything, I'm not going to consult the entity that has it for sale.

;)

/ Automobile engine oil in tractors... #16  
Look at what I said about the ash!!! Diesels need it to absorb the partially burnt fuel and on a gas engine it will build up and burn the valves.

I didn't say that diesels didn't have properties that aren't better then the gas engines for many parts of it but this is one part that is bad!

Of all the research I have done, which is many hours worth, and most of it was done by certified labs, NONE ever mentioned anything about ash in a diesel oil being a detriment in a gasoline engine. Your comment is the first time I have ever heard such a statement.

The first time I heard about Shell Rotella in a gas engine was from a guy that I hired to cut some wood for me with a portable bandsaw. That saw had a Kohler V twin 24 HP gas engine on it with get this - 8247 hours on it when he showed up at the job site. Never been apart. Oil - Shell Rotella with changes every 50 hours. The guy was as honest as the day is long so I had no reason to doubt him, and he worked that puppy to the max, I did not say abuse.

So based on his experience, my at least 15 years of experience, and that of at least one other poster, plus all of the research that I have done I would have to say that you may be mistaken.

/ Automobile engine oil in tractors... #17  
I have 3 bikes. They all get various wts. of diesel oil. The 2 Japanese because of the unit tranny. Diesel oil has no friction modifyers. Bad for the clutch.
The H.D. gets 20-50. Never a problem.

You are correct! I have 3 bikes also, 2 have a wet clutch, 1 does not. All have been doing quite well thank you on Shell Rotella T 15-40, as have my gas lawn mower, wood splitter, gas powered pressure washer, cars etc.

By the way I was using Mobil1 when I made the switch to Rotella for my cars etc. I was never able to see any difference in fuel mileage either. I know in theory that the heavier oil is supposed to be less fuel efficient, but I could never see it when I check mileage, which I do pretty much every tank.

/ Automobile engine oil in tractors...
I referred to the site mentioned because of the very good explanation. That site is new to me and I'm not pushing their product - only their basic explanation. I have known about this for some time and haven't heard much rebuttal, actually have seen evidence of it with my own eyes.

The internet is what you make of it...there's trash, truth and just information. No-one here is making you believe a thing, as I said: I offered this due to the fact that many people do not know.

Take it or leave it - just passing some information that some may be interested in.

I use Harley Davidson oils since they have a hand in the formulations. A manufacturer will usually have great interest in preserving their specific product so do not make 'one size fits all' oils like Mobile1, AMS OIL and etc. I use Syn3 in two of my bikes because they came from HD with it. Harley engines have always had roller tappets anyhow....

/ Automobile engine oil in tractors... #19  
The problem is that you have not offered anything from a reputable source. Bob's antique oil (or whatever it is) has a product to sell, an agenda.

Just judging by the sheer number of flat tappet motors out there, I am very skeptical of these claims. It seems a lot like the fuss that was made over valve seats and unleaded gas. On a technical level, it was a problem. In the real world, not so much.

/ Automobile engine oil in tractors...