Automobile engine oil in tractors...

/ Automobile engine oil in tractors...
The problem is that you have not offered anything from a reputable source. Bob's antique oil (or whatever it is) has a product to sell, an agenda.

Just judging by the sheer number of flat tappet motors out there, I am very skeptical of these claims. It seems a lot like the fuss that was made over valve seats and unleaded gas. On a technical level, it was a problem. In the real world, not so much.

The real skeptic would do some research....not just quit and sit back and reject everything folks attempt to help with. There's some reading for you to do....

/ Automobile engine oil in tractors... #22  
The real skeptic would do some research....not just quit and sit back and reject everything folks attempt to help with. There's some reading for you to do....

I have no desire to do the research. You are the one making the claims. The links you posted are only regarding the EPA mandate to remove zinc. Not about your claims that flat tappet motors are hand grenading because of it.

If you are going to cry wolf, be prepared to point at the wolf when someone asks, not just tell them to go find it themselves.

/ Automobile engine oil in tractors...
Must be down right thick in WV....Someone pee in your cheerios?

/ Automobile engine oil in tractors... #24  
I agree with the OP. I had my 73 454 engine camshaft fail a few years ago. It only had ~15k miles on engine rebuild. It had the oil changed several times per year, 3-6000 miles per year tops. I know the camshaft was broken in properly since I did it myself and followed all recommendations. I was using a name brand oil at the time. When I researched it, I found that the additives that were in the oils for the older flat tappets had been removed in modern automotive oils, but you could buy oils with the additives (mostly for diesels) and now many of the major brands have special oils for older engines with the proper additives. CompCams even has their own oil brand with the additives needed. If you buy a flat tappet camshaft now, you have to use oil with the right additives for break in and highly recommended to continue to run the special oils to keep the camshaft alive. Had I know all this when the camshaft failed, I would have switched to roller lifters when I had the engine rebuilt. live and learn, I will be running oil the has the additives for flat tappet.

Good idea to run proper oils in the older engines, thanks for the reminder.

/ Automobile engine oil in tractors... #25  
Well After all the discussion over Oil...What is best in Diesel Tractors??????

/ Automobile engine oil in tractors... #26  

I prefer Mobil 1 5w-40 HDEO. Shell, Valvoline, and others make a fine 5w-40 HDEO as well. If you do not feel the need for a synthetic, Mobil, Shell, Valvoline and others make a fine 15w-40 HDEO. Philip.

/ Automobile engine oil in tractors... #27  
I've got agree with Wvpolecat, I just don't believe it. I can't imagine there is any reason a moder motor oil is going to hurt a older engine based on the cam and the system to open the valves. Maybe in like Wvpolecat says, in theory there is a problem, but in reality it doesn't make any difference. I would have to see some kind of test where they put a huge number of hours on a flat tappet engine running a newer motor oil and the same style of engine running a modern oil, then break the egine down a measure were on the valve system.

I did read some of the links above, and I have read that some of Amsoil products don't meet SAE, or API or some kind of standard for oils because they are using to much of an additive that is hard on converters. I don't know if this is the ZDP stuff or something else. This is with there extended oil change intervals oil.

/ Automobile engine oil in tractors... #28  
Normally I lurk but a few comments:

The EPA has not mandated ZDP levels, only certain pollutants out of the exhaust pipe and the life of the antipollution controls. Easier to meet those requirements if the catalytic converter is not being ruined by the ZDP from the oil. So engine manufacturers requested the ZDP levels to be lowered. The levels are still roughly twice as high as what was in engine oil during the early 1950's. The risks seem to be for high tappet load engines which is not likely to include any slow running old tractor engines. High levels of ZDP can damage the metalic structure so more is not always better.

A good link below, Bob Olree was and still is a big name in oil engineering and analysis.

Old Cars Weekly -

/ Automobile engine oil in tractors... #29  
I don't know how valid the article is, but this is where I first heard about the issue:

API Motor Oil Service Classifications

It appears to contain valid information, but it doesn't look like there was any scientific testing to be sure of the cause.

/ Automobile engine oil in tractors... #30  

Fresh, clean and with the proper API certification required for your engine. Seriously. That's it. Call your tractor manufacturer and see if that is not the answer you get.