Aux Lights - Wiring How To !

/ Aux Lights - Wiring How To ! #11  
I've had my work lights get switched on during the day and never realized it. Since my work lights are NOT on the ignition circuit and stay on when motor is not running, this could have been a problem if not for the indicator light

/ Aux Lights - Wiring How To ! #12  
I've had my work lights get switched on during the day and never realized it. Since my work lights are NOT on the ignition circuit and stay on when motor is not running, this could have been a problem if not for the indicator light

Just curious- wouldn't you notice your work lights more than an indicator light since the work lights are bigger and brighter?
And consequently wouldn't the situation you mention above be a good reason to put your work lights on the ignition circuit? Or is there a specific reason NOT to have them on the ig circuit?

/ Aux Lights - Wiring How To ! #13  
If the worklights are mounted pointing backwards or over your head, you wouldn't know they are on during the daytime.

The ignition circuit is only capable of switching relatively low current loads. Putting in a separate switch that bypasses that allows using a switch that has heavier current handling, and you can use the lights with the key out.

Best way is to use the ignition switch to switch a relay that connects the lights. Better way is the aforementioned LED lighting. Better way again is an electrically powered tractor, but I guess that's a ways off yet.

Jon

/ Aux Lights - Wiring How To ! #14  
id go with the ign switch running a relay that then powered a circuit that was used like accy. A reg lamp switch could feed from there and turn on lamps or whatever.

when key is off.. it kills the accy circuit. when on.. key switch is sourcing only a low current.. etc.

soundguy

/ Aux Lights - Wiring How To !
id go with the ign switch running a relay that then powered a circuit that was used like accy. A reg lamp switch could feed from there and turn on lamps or whatever.

when key is off.. it kills the accy circuit. when on.. key switch is sourcing only a low current.. etc.

soundguy

Sometimes you need the lights on without the engine running, well at least maybe you will and if there is an Accessory Position then you are go to go but like mine I do not have the acc position so I want to e covered.

AND to make everyone happy I will redo the schematics and the writeup to remove the indicator light.
I for one like the extra lights on the dash.

ltr

/ Aux Lights - Wiring How To ! #16  
my question why not skip the relay, fuse box, indicator light.

get yourself a set of work lights, 20amp or 30amp switch pending on watt of lights. and run wires from lights, to switch, to fuse to battery?

relay to me. would only be useful if i wanted it so i would have to have the key in the ignition. and either turned to accessories or in the on position.

/ Aux Lights - Wiring How To ! #17  
One other little item, with the proliferation of electronics in some of our tractors, I would suggest a diode, oriented in the correct direction (non conducting) across the coil of that relay. This will prevent the spike of voltage that occurs when a relay is de-energized from possibly harming other sensitive electronics in the tractor. If the relay already has a built in diode across the coil, then that is great, but be careful of reversing the polarity of the feed to the coil. A diode placed to shunt the back reverse EMF is common in almost any kind of electronics. Just a thought.

James K0UA

/ Aux Lights - Wiring How To ! #18  
One other little item, with the proliferation of electronics in some of our tractors, I would suggest a diode, oriented in the correct direction (non conducting) across the coil of that relay. This will prevent the spike of voltage that occurs when a relay is de-energized from possibly harming other sensitive electronics in the tractor. If the relay already has a built in diode across the coil, then that is great, but be careful of reversing the polarity of the feed to the coil. A diode placed to shunt the back reverse EMF is common in almost any kind of electronics. Just a thought.

James K0UA

if yer gonna get that nit picky.. better go add diodes to the start solenoid and all the other relay's burried under the tractor dash.. ( IMHO.. not needed.. )

soundguy

/ Aux Lights - Wiring How To ! #19  
My tractor use to be parked outside @ the ol' place....so my best bet then was to run my lights ect. off the ignition switch.....Ampa

/ Aux Lights - Wiring How To ! #20  
if yer gonna get that nit picky.. better go add diodes to the start solenoid and all the other relay's burried under the tractor dash.. ( IMHO.. not needed.. )

soundguy

Nitpicky? huh? here is a good link, towards the bottom this exact relay is shown and discussed, a lot of good information here:

Relays

and here is a quote from that page:
Quenching Diodes:
Anytime that a relay coil is driven by a circuit that is not specifically designed to drive a relay, you should use a quenching/suppression diode connected in parallel with the relay coil. The diagram below will show the connection of the diode. Initially, you may think the diode serves no purpose because the voltage applied to the relay cannot pass through the diode. This is true when the relay is energized. The diode comes into play when the power source is removed from the relay coil. When power is applied to the relay coil, a magnetic field is created and energy is stored in the coil. When power is removed, the magnetic field collapses causing a reverse voltage to be generated (it's called inductive kickback or back EMF). The back EMF can easily reach 200 volts. The diode will absorb the reverse voltage spike. This voltage, if not absorbed by the diode, will cause premature failure of switch contacts and may cause the failure of power switching transistors. You can use virtually any type of rectifier or switching diode (i.e. 1N4001, 1N4002, 1N400x... or Radio Shack part #s 276-1101, 276-1102, 276-1103, 276-1104).

And lets see, I have only been working professionally in Electronics for about 38 years, and as a hobby for over 45.. hum... Now in my simple tractor, and probably yours, there probably are no microprocessors, but in a lot of newer tractors there are some. Now if you don't want to add a 59 cent diode to a relay coil, its up to you. But I just wanted to let the folks know there is some danger. IMHO:laughing::laughing:

James K0UA