Aux Lights - Wiring How To !

/ Aux Lights - Wiring How To ! #21  
Nitpicky? huh? here is a good link, towards the bottom this exact relay is shown and discussed, a lot of good information here:

James K0UA

I've had my engineering degree for a while now too... I'm quite aware of using diode protection on a relay. I think it's a real good thing to do on electronics that need it.

if the tractor in question has plenty of DSP and microprocessor controlled stuff.. then by all means.. install them to your hearts desire. On the other hand.. if they are like the 17 tractors i own.. :) they aren't needed. that's what I meant by my comment. analog engine monitoring systems like oil lamps and such simply don't care... the alternator due to it's output design.. really don't care... incandescent and inductive loads.. really don't care... and with this.. I'll bow out of the thread. I don't even know why i got involved in one about adding a lamp circuit that's made it 3 pages now... shoulda seen this coming... (headslapping sound )

soundguy

/ Aux Lights - Wiring How To ! #22  
Okay guys, I've got 2 questions with respect to lighting/wiring. Before I go on, I follow directions well (most of the time), but I really don't know much about wiring tractor wiring. I may have more then 2 questions as I write this...:eek:

1. I've read elsewhere on TBN that replacing the bulbs/lights with LED bulbs/lights may result in non-functioning of the flasher unit, due to lack of heat/load for the flasher to respond. The question is - can you replace the flasher with one that will work with the lighter load and if so, how do you determine the load 'number' required ? :confused:

2. Scrambler, your diagram will be well employed on my new machine as soon as the weather warms up some. Since you're into diagrams, I want to add a remote 3.5mm hookup for noise cancelling headphones to the existing radio. I'm thinking I can splice into the existing speaker wires, but that won't disconnect the speakers when the headphones are plugged in. I thought of wiring in a switch between the speakers and headphone remote so I can select either one as needed. The question is - what's the best way to do this ? :confused2:

Thanks in advance...:thumbsup:

/ Aux Lights - Wiring How To ! #23  
Start here for flasher ideas

Super Bright LEDs - Brake Light, Turn Light and Tail Light Bulbs

your stereo jack itself can switch out the speakers: check at Mouser or Digikey
google them. look for a 3.5mm stereo switched jack. IIRC mouser has no min order. good outfit to deal with. You will have to rewire the speakers thru the jack so that when the plug is inserted the built in swithc in the jajck will open the connection to the speakers, and make connection to the headphones.

James K0UA

/ Aux Lights - Wiring How To ! #24  
I've had my engineering degree for a while now too... I'm quite aware of using diode protection on a relay. I think it's a real good thing to do on electronics that need it.

if the tractor in question has plenty of DSP and microprocessor controlled stuff.. then by all means.. install them to your hearts desire. On the other hand.. if they are like the 17 tractors i own.. :) they aren't needed. that's what I meant by my comment. analog engine monitoring systems like oil lamps and such simply don't care... the alternator due to it's output design.. really don't care... incandescent and inductive loads.. really don't care... and with this.. I'll bow out of the thread. I don't even know why i got involved in one about adding a lamp circuit that's made it 3 pages now... shoulda seen this coming... (headslapping sound )

soundguy
Ok cool, I just didn't want someone with a e-hydro, or HST+ equipped tractor to do this without adding a quench diode. it costs so little and so easy to do,...
James K0UA

/ Aux Lights - Wiring How To ! #25  
Nicely done post on how to wire extra lighting. :thumbsup:

Recently a guy burned his Camaro to the ground not putting fuses in the right place . . . Not to mention a couple other safety issues that were simple. ALWAYS think about pinch points, sharp edges and use gromets. Since it seems lots of people are mounting things on the ROPS running secondary ( dedicated ground wire ) will reduce resistance and therefore draw not to mention copper is a better conductor

/ Aux Lights - Wiring How To !
Just read all of the posts to the thread.
Looks like I need to redo the writeup a little.

All of the tips sound great and thanks to all for then input !

Not sure when I will get to it but I hope to do a re-write.

Thks/ltr