AZ ranch

/ AZ ranch
#1,501  
IMG_0105.jpeg

/ AZ ranch #1,502  
Mr.Fuller the solar heated greenhouse looks great. and in this area, there is a problem of white flies that develop with high humidity. There was a retired Dr. who built a large portion of South south-facing house with a glassed-in room to grow plants. the flies infested the soil until was a problem.
and so far the winter has been mostly above freezing.
Helped a Dairyman install what is called cool cells to keep the barn at a usable temp in the summertime.
8' X 20' a water pump to recycle fluid onto the top tray then flows down keeping the cells damp. It cooled a 200-cow barn to around 70 deg when used.
the problem was cattle kept trying to eat the paper cells or breaking them by pushing against them.
I had considered building a similar type to cool the house but old age came first.
It did increase the humidity
The last picture looks good of your project and noticed soon will have 1500 posts of the overall building.
Has there been any settling from drying of the logs on the house?
Now wonder what will be the next project.
se'ya ken

/ AZ ranch
#1,503  
Thanks Ken. So far the humidity in there has been around 15% and I haven’t noticed any insects yet.

No settling that I can notice, and it’s been 8 years.

When Spring arrives, I’ll be starting my next project - back deck with mud room.

/ AZ ranch #1,504  
Thanks for the update. My wife has been on me to build a green house for a few years now. I want to build it too, but I have so many other projects that have to get done first.

/ AZ ranch
#1,505  
Update on Walipini;

The last couple days it has gotten down to 11 degrees at night, and only 25 during the day. And we had some snow, so I took the precaution of putting a small propane heater in the green house (a Mr. Buddy), and set it on low, just to make sure it didn’t freeze anything. It’s staying about 52 inside.

/ AZ ranch #1,506  
Would a heat lamp work too? We use them for our baby chicks out in the barn and they do fine regardless of how cold it gets outside.

/ AZ ranch
#1,507  
Would a heat lamp work too? We use them for our baby chicks out in the barn and they do fine regardless of how cold it gets outside.
A heat lamp would most likely work well, but since I’m off-grid I try to avoid any heat produced by electricity. With the short days I use up a lot of my batteries just maintaining the house.
Short days mean less charging time, on top of long nights which use more lights and such.

/ AZ ranch #1,508  
I forgot that you where off the grid. Did you use a small propane bottle or is the heater tapped into a bigger tank?

/ AZ ranch
#1,509  
I forgot that you where off the grid. Did you use a small propane bottle or is the heater tapped into a bigger tank?
I have a couple extra bottles from a travel trailer I sold. I hook the heater up to one of those and it should last awhile.

/ AZ ranch #1,510  
Just watch out for potential CO buildup in a small enclosed space like that. A battery operated CO monitor might be a wise investment out there...