B26 Repairs

/ B26 Repairs #11  
Sam
I have a B26 and always thought the idle was a little high, it runs a little over of 1,100 rpm. It does lift the rear off the ground @ idle. I blew out both front cylinders @ about 50hrs and had them replaced, and had a hydraulic line leak from rubing on loader. On the machine I ussually run it wide open all the time.
I would guess we have had it stuck more times than I can count, one time we winched it to the spot that need pipe fixed and winched it out. I have overloaded the hoe and loader but overall I would say that the things I have broke are to be expected but that it has done more than I would have ever expected of it.
On the 4pt hook up my has finally got loose enough to hook with out a hammer.
I have spent last 12hrs making a grapple for the front of mine and really wish I just bought one as there is a lot more welding than I thought in building a grapple.
Enjoy reading your house build, have a great New Year.

/ B26 Repairs
I called Kubota's customer satisfaction hotline at 310-370-3370 ext 1918 or 1959 and also spoke with the warranty office at ext 1950. They put me in touch with the local service representative in Fort Worth Tx and I told him about lack of proper service and he has David Dearmond setup to trouble shoot my tractor at my dealer Date TBD 817-571-0900 ext 4911. The service representative can extend the warranty to cover problems that should have been found in my last service.

Other good phone number to keep in mind

Kubota Tractor Corporation
3401 Del Amo Blvd., Torrance, CA 90503, U.S.A.
310-370-3370
310-370-2370
Kubota Credit Corporation U.S.A.
3401 Del Amo Blvd., Torrance, CA 90503, U.S.A.
310-370-3370
310-370-2370
Kubota Manufacturing of America Corporation
Gainesville Industrial Park North, 2715 Ramsey Road,
Gainesville, GA 30501, U.S.A.
770-532-0038
770-532-9057

Last edited:
   / B26 Repairs #13  
Sam,
You don't play around! The contact numbers that you received are excellent to have!!

The first thing I'd do is to accurately measure the Hydraulic System Pressure with a Calibrated Master Pressure Gage at the correct Idle RPM and adjust the Hydraulic System Pressure Relief Valve to 420.6 PSI.

I seriously believe that with the required System Pressure at Idle RPM all your flows will be where they belong. The reason I state that is that to achieve the advertised flows through Calibrated Orifices in GPM you need 420.6 PSI at Idle RPM. You DO NOT just raise the RPM!!! When you are running your Engine at any other speed above Idle RPM the Hydraulic System Pressure Relief Valve will maintain 420.6 PSI. I don't believe that the Hydraulic Flow of your Kubota Tractor is adjustable without changing the size of the Orifices.

As before, I don't have the Kubota B26 Manual but Hydraulics was one of my specialties of many and I've designed Hydraulic Systems, taught Hydraulics, and traveled Internationally as an Aviation Consultant throughout the Americas, Europe, Russia (Including throughout Siberia), Asia, and Africa. I was also an Independent FAA DME (Designated Mechanic Examiner) for both Airframe and Powerplant giving the A&P Oral and Practical Exams for many years before I retired.
Good luck to you,
Jim

/ B26 Repairs
I know a bit about Hydraulics systems I was an electrical/electronics production engineer in the flight simulation industry with Loral Quintron and Simtec, Inc.
I thought I would see what kind of service my dealership could provide and also get any warranty coverage that may be due to me. Also I know little about our B26 but plan to learn more by handling most future repairs.

Thanks for all the help
Sam

Last edited:
   / B26 Repairs #15  
Hi Sam,
I seriously doubt that you need to buy a Flow Meter as I doubt that the Kubota Hydraulic Flows are adjustable. If the Hydraulic Pressure is maintained at 420.6 PSI by the Hydraulic System Pressure Relief Valve only a given amount of Flow (GPM) will pass through the orifice per minute. The Hydraulic System Pressure Relief Valve must first be adjusted to the 420.6 PSI at the proper Idle RPM. To set the Hydraulic System Pressure Relief Valve a Calibrated Master Pressure Gauge, or at least a Calibrated Pressure Gauge must be used, not the off the shelf hardware variety commonly found at dealer service departments.

By chance did you ask the dealer what pressure showed at the proper lower Idle RPM before he bumped up the RPM which of course increased the pressure until the relief valve kicked in.

I followed the building of your house and now with the latest pics and Bio info I almost feel that I know you.

Please keep us informed,
Jim

/ B26 Repairs #16  
I purchased a B26 in October with 196 hours on it and it had evidence of a hydraulic leak at the back end as well. The dealer told me that almost a year ago they had replaced a rear stabilizer hose that had blown on the previous owner. I thought the oil looked a little too fresh to be that old but since I was buying the B26 with a 12 month, 200 hour warranty I wasn't worried.

Sure enough when I got the machine home after my first Saturday of using the hoe there was a pool of oil on the garage floor under the backhoe hydraulics the next morning. It was a slow leak and I had some weekend work I wanted to get done before winter set in so it was a few weeks before I returned the machine to the dealer. They kept the machine for almost a week and determined that the problem was in the hydraulic valves for the backhoe.

Due to the expense of the parts involved they actually asked me if they could keep the machine a few additional days so the Kubota rep could have a look before the dealer purchased a bunch of expensive parts. I don't know exactly where the problem was but in the end the dealer told me that they had to disassemble the valve body and repair/replace an O-ring that had been improperly installed at the factory.

As far as performance goes, I notice the B26 backhoe operation feels slower than my old B21 but I just assumed this was due to the precision of the inching valves which are a real treat after the learning curve I had to go through to get smooth with the B21 hoe. I definitely like the added power of the B26 though and certainly would not go back to the B21.

As far as idle and stabilizer lift, I know my machine idles under 1000rpm and at idle the stabilizers lift the B26 off the ground wthout any problem. Your idle speed should definitely not be 1200rpm or higher.

With respect to air in the hydraulic system from disconnecting the backhoe, I remember reading in the owners manual that if you want to bleed air from the hydraulic system from changing a hose or implement, Kubota suggests turning the power steering from left to right a few times to bleed the hydraulic system.

One other tip for B26 owners. When I first saw my used B26 on the dealer lot it was missing the amber lenses on one of the hazard lights on the ROPS. I had the dealer replace them with new ones and then was moving through a couple of tight pine trees on my property and one of the new lenses landed in my lap and when I turned around the other was on the ground. When I looked at them it turns out they just pop on and I guess one of the pine branches rubbed or hit the lenses the right way to pop them both off. I have since taken a long plastic zip tie and wrapped it around the left and right sets of lenses to make sure they don't disappear again.

/ B26 Repairs #17  
Sam, I have 325 hours on my B-26 that I purchased in December 06. My idle is just under 1000 rpm, and my stabilizers will lift the machine of the ground at idle, even with loaded tires. I have had very few problems with my machine, and none required bringing back to the dealer. As far as the backhoe, it does seem slow, but the power seems consistentand I have quite a few hours on the backhoe. I have been very happy with my machine, hope you get your issues resolved, best of luck.

/ B26 Repairs #18  
Sam, sorry to hear of your problems. My 26 has a little over 100hrs. As you know the idle speed should be slightly below 1000rpm and at idle the stabs will lift the rear effortlessly.

Its a little discomforting to think the dealer might be trying to mask an issue with the tractor. Either way, Kubota should make it right.

Keep us posted.

/ B26 Repairs
Sam, sorry to hear of your problems. My 26 has a little over 100hrs. As you know the idle speed should be slightly below 1000rpm and at idle the stabs will lift the rear effortlessly.

Its a little discomforting to think the dealer might be trying to mask an issue with the tractor. Either way, Kubota should make it right.

Keep us posted.

I brought our B26 back to Perrin & Gray Tractor Fort Smith, AR today. We hope the local Kubota Rep David Dearmond will correct this problem. I will keep you all posted on our experience.

/ B26 Repairs #20  
I just bought a B26 in the spring so I'm be very interested in what you find out.

BTW: I had a hose leak seven working hours after I bought the machine, I wasn"t a happy camper. :(

Although used, the dealer Carriere in Alfred, Ontario, sent a tech 60 miles one way to fix it.

It turns out a 2" piece of gravel had lodged between the skid plate and the hose going to the backhoe. Over time the rock had worn down the hose. Apparently Kubota ships tractors with 2 ply hoses and my dealer at least replaces damaged hoses with four ply. In any event, B26 owners may want to keep and eye out for debris caught on the skid plate.