B26 Repairs

/ B26 Repairs #21  
Sam,

I've been following your posts since you bought your new B26, and was surprised at how many little issues you were having.

I seriously considered the B26, but ultimately decided against it for the sole reason that I live at 8500' above sea level, and believed that the 26hp engine might be a little under-powered for my needs. I ended up with a B3030, which is approx 500lbs lighter in TLB form, and has the extra hp and engine displacement.

I have worked my machine fairly hard, have had the backhoe on and off countless times, have worked the hoe rather hard trying to pick through decomposing granite ledge, and have yet to experience any hydraulic leaks, weakening hydraulics, or loosening of any of the backhoe mounts or pivot points. I'm actually a little surprised by this because of the difficult digging that I have encountered (I had a chance to dig a long drainage ditch for someone down at 5500' on the plains, and it was like digging through butter in comparison).

My machine is now at 250 hours. About the only loosening pivots are on the FEL bucket, which has also been worked hard digging into decomposing granite.

Since the B26 hoe is rated at higher capacities all around compared to the BH75 hoe, maybe that has something to do with it. I believe the B26 has a higher capacity hydraulic pump, which may also have something to do with your issues.

However, I am surprised that you have had as many issues working a commercial unit in residential applications, where I've not had any issues with my homeowner unit working in tough conditions and while doing work for others in the neighborhood. This is something I have had concerns with, realizing that a homeowner unit will most likely not be able to take the abuses that a commercial unit should be able to take.

Hope you're able to get the issues worked out. As tough as my lighter duty homeowner unit has been, I'd expect your heavier duty commercial unit to be even tougher and more trouble free.

/ B26 Repairs
Sam,

I've been following your posts since you bought your new B26, and was surprised at how many little issues you were having.

I seriously considered the B26, but ultimately decided against it for the sole reason that I live at 8500' above sea level, and believed that the 26hp engine might be a little under-powered for my needs. I ended up with a B3030, which is approx 500lbs lighter in TLB form, and has the extra hp and engine displacement.

I have worked my machine fairly hard, have had the backhoe on and off countless times, have worked the hoe rather hard trying to pick through decomposing granite ledge, and have yet to experience any hydraulic leaks, weakening hydraulics, or loosening of any of the backhoe mounts or pivot points. I'm actually a little surprised by this because of the difficult digging that I have encountered (I had a chance to dig a long drainage ditch for someone down at 5500' on the plains, and it was like digging through butter in comparison).

My machine is now at 250 hours. About the only loosening pivots are on the FEL bucket, which has also been worked hard digging into decomposing granite.

Since the B26 hoe is rated at higher capacities all around compared to the BH75 hoe, maybe that has something to do with it. I believe the B26 has a higher capacity hydraulic pump, which may also have something to do with your issues.

However, I am surprised that you have had as many issues working a commercial unit in residential applications, where I've not had any issues with my homeowner unit working in tough conditions and while doing work for others in the neighborhood. This is something I have had concerns with, realizing that a homeowner unit will most likely not be able to take the abuses that a commercial unit should be able to take.

Hope you're able to get the issues worked out. As tough as my lighter duty homeowner unit has been, I'd expect your heavier duty commercial unit to be even tougher and more trouble free.

I agree, our B26 should be more trouble free but I know our land is mostly rock and that has clearly been tough on the tractor. We have had two hose failures and this loss of power. I have also worked it very hard; I don't run the RPMs up high unless the additional strength is required. Also I would never consider our home/road build a residential application. When you dig hundreds of trees and their root systems along with all the large stones that accompany, something is bound to fail. I will keep you posted on the outcome of my problem.

/ B26 Repairs
A week has gone by and David Dearmond from Kubota has not returned my calls or showed up at the dealer to check out our B26. The Dealer called me on Tuesday the 12th and said they found a pinched hose on the out riggers and wanted to know if I was going to pick it up. I asked if the stabilizers will now lift the tractor at a 1000 RPMs and he said no. I opted to wait to get the proper repairs. I think it is possible the service department asked the Kubota service rep to hold off a week while they attempt to remedy the problem. I sure hope we get this problem corrected. I will not be told that the tractor can only lift at idle when new. I found Kubota's claim is still on their web site at http://www.kubota.com/f/products/b26/pdf/b26_backhoe.pdf and says "Stabilizer Lifting Capacity We've increased the stabilizer lift capacity to give you greater control on any terrain. The improved capacity results in better balance, which reduces unwanted settling. It also means more strength-rear tire lift is possible even while the tractor is idling."
I will hold them to their word!

/ B26 Repairs #24  
Posting the ad is GREAT!!!! I am really interested to see how this plays out. Now I want to see if the L48s I have will do that. I belive they do. I have 1 with 168 hours, the other at 1,589 hrs.

Good luck Sam.

/ B26 Repairs
Kubota's service representative David Dearmond never showed or called. I called Perrin & Gray's service department. They told me our B26 lifts at idle. I am confused because when I called earlier in the week they said they replaced a pinched hose but it was lifting above a 1000 RPMs. Anyway I tested in their shop and it worked fine. I would sure like to know what happened to David Dearmond. And am I to believe it was only a pinched hose on the out riggers? I guess I find it hard to believe our tractor has been in the shop twice for over three weeks because of a pinched hose. Don't get me wrong I am pleased they repaired it but somehow I feel that I wasn't afforded the truth on how we got to where we are now.

/ B26 Repairs #26  
This has all been interesting. It certainly is possible one pinched hose caused your issues - flow is certainly affected by engine rpms on my machine, so I'd suspect yours would be similar. The higher rpms may have pushed the hydraulic fluid flow closer to its max, which allowed the outriggers to lift and overcome the obstruction of the pinched hose, whereas at idle, the pump just couldn't push the fluid past the pinch fast enought to lift the outriggers?

Your B26 has 2gpm more pump capacity than my B3030, and my BH75's outriggers can lift the back of the tractor, with loaded tires, to their full height at idle (1000 rpms), without any problem.

All that being said, I'm glad you have your machine back, and at 100%.

/ B26 Repairs
This has all been interesting. It certainly is possible one pinched hose caused your issues - flow is certainly affected by engine rpms on my machine, so I'd suspect yours would be similar. The higher rpms may have pushed the hydraulic fluid flow closer to its max, which allowed the outriggers to lift and overcome the obstruction of the pinched hose, whereas at idle, the pump just couldn't push the fluid past the pinch fast enought to lift the outriggers?

Your B26 has 2gpm more pump capacity than my B3030, and my BH75's outriggers can lift the back of the tractor, with loaded tires, to their full height at idle (1000 rpms), without any problem.

All that being said, I'm glad you have your machine back, and at 100%.

Thank You and All who have assisted.
Sincerely
Sam Walton

/ B26 Repairs
I got a call from the Kubota service representative David Dearmond today. I was a bit surprised to hear from him because he didn't return my many calls. He told me he had a good excuse, which was he had developed a staph infection on his foot. I told him the dealer had completed the repairs. He asked me if I wanted him to take care of the repair bill so I said yes. So the dealer will cut me a check after Kubota pays for the repairs. Not a bad deal, but I would have preferred the service to be completed in one trip and not over three weeks. Again I must say I am happy our B26 is repaired.

/ B26 Repairs #29  
SamWalton: I'm also considering a 2013/14 B26 and will be working her hard moving rock and tree stumps. If you had it to do over, would you still have gone with your B26?

Do you think the "industrial" rating of the B26 is over-rated?

I've got a ton of narrow trails I'd love to be able to get my TLB back into to help clear out fallen trees and drag boulders back to the house to build a retaining wall, but hate to spend the cast for something that won't cut the mustard. Love an update on your B26.

/ B26 Repairs #30  
I've got a B26 with about 11 hours on it. I've dug up 2 oak tree stumps both about a 10-12" trunk in dense clay soil. I had to dig completely around the stumps down to a depth of about 3 to 4 feet before the B26 had enough power to break the stump free.

The loader will lift a completely full bucket of broken up slab concrete. However, I tried to lift my 5th wheel RV so I could move it around the yard and NO GO. I even tried lifting it with the round transverse support bar closer to the cylinder attach points and NO GO. The cylinders for the boom appear small. I asked my salesman about installing larger cylinders and he said there is risk of cracking the engine block.

Back to the OP....my out riggers will lift the tractor at idle no problem. The cylinders on the outriggers are significantly larger than the boom cylinders on the front loader. Arrrggh!!!