B2920 Chains rubbing

/ B2920 Chains rubbing #1  

tractchores

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota b2920
I have a B2920 with turf tires and I decided to get some chains for plowing and for work in the woods / on a steep hill in the snow. There is very little clearance on the inner front side of the rear tires and the frame. The chains do clear, but they rub very slightly (just enough to scratch the paint). Nothing is binding and I used it to plow the other day with no issues (traction is fantastic).

My question is do other folks have this issue and am I in danger of doing any long term damage here? I imagine I'll have to touch up the paint in that area after the winter. I'm not sure if it's the actual tractor frame or maybe the BH subframe I'm rubbing. I can put wheel spacers on it, but that is a lot of effort, probably requires a trip to the dealer given the weight of the loaded tires and will cost at least $300...

If anyone has any ideas or tricks those are welcome too!

Last edited:
   / B2920 Chains rubbing #2  
do you have bungee cords to take up the slack on your chains.

/ B2920 Chains rubbing
do you have bungee cords to take up the slack on your chains.

They're on pretty tight so there is little to no play. The section rubbing is the section that holds the cross links together (the one that goes around the rim VS the bigger chains that are on the tire treads, which have clearance). I do have a chain spring tensioner on it, but used a crowbar to get it very tight when I put it on so there's no play at all on that part of the chain. It'd be weird, but maybe I should try putting the chain tensioner on the inside if it'd clear....

/ B2920 Chains rubbing #4  
I have the double ring chains on mine and with out the bungees on inside and out my would rub on the loader frame.

/ B2920 Chains rubbing #5  
I've got two link ladder chains on my B2620 but no BH/ frame using R4 tires. The chains don't rub on mine. Sounds like it may be the frame that's catching. It just occurred to me that the turf tires could be wider than my R4 industrials, therefore the difference in clearance.

Last edited:
   / B2920 Chains rubbing #6  
Can you get by with a little less air in the tire? That will make the tire a fraction smaller and maybe not rub on the paint anymore.

/ B2920 Chains rubbing #7  
Go to Tractor supply and buy a steel ring about 2" in diameter. Then buy some springs that will go from the chains to the ring. In this way there is a uniform pull towards the center of the wheel and it will help much more than either having nothing or pulling from two points on the chains which results in areas of the chain which are not uniformly tensioned and are able to slap the fender when you drive.
The photo may be an easier way to visualize this.
2jdq7bp.jpg

Dave M7040

/ B2920 Chains rubbing
I've got two link ladder chains on my B2620 but no BH/ frame using R4 tires. The chains don't rub on mine. Sounds like it may be the frame that's catching. It just occurred to me that the turf tires could be wider than my R4 industrials, therefore the difference in clearance.

Thanks. Yes the turfs on the B2920 are quite a bit bigger than the R4's. Clearance is good all around except for that one spot where the metal frame actually goes a bit outward towards the tire for some reason...

/ B2920 Chains rubbing
Go to Tractor supply and buy a steel ring about 2" in diameter. Then buy some springs that will go from the chains to the ring. In this way there is a uniform pull towards the center of the wheel and it will help much more than either having nothing or pulling from two points on the chains which results in areas of the chain which are not uniformly tensioned and are able to slap the fender when you drive.
The photo may be an easier way to visualize this.
Dave M7040

Thanks, that's a good idea. I'm going to try to measure the clearances to see if I got it perfectly uniform if that would solve it, or if it's going to just rub no matter what due to the chain thickness.

/ B2920 Chains rubbing
Can you get by with a little less air in the tire? That will make the tire a fraction smaller and maybe not rub on the paint anymore.

Unfortunately I think I'm at the minimum with about 20 lbs of pressure and a rimguard filled tire. I may experiment though, maybe more air will make the tire a tad taller VS wider and get me the MM I need.