Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Backblade vs Landscape Rake For Snow Removal

/ Backblade vs Landscape Rake For Snow Removal #1  

Clay1

Tractor
Kubota M5700/Ford 8N
Hi All,

Just a note to let you know of my experience that may help some one whose considering buying a grader blade for snow removal vs using their landscape rake.

I live in Montana on the eastern side of the Rocky Mts at about the 3,000ft elevation. I've been using my landscape rake for removing snow from our 1/2 mile drive-way for the last few years. After considering weather or not to make the investment in the purchase of a blade this year I decided to buy a Landpride backblade w/a 2ft off-set. What a big difference!!! It was money well spent and I wish that I had done it years ago. So for those of you that may be considering which way to go maybe this will help in making your decision a little easier. Best to all of you in the New Year.

/ Backblade vs Landscape Rake For Snow Removal #2  
Hello, I live in southern Utah, we get some big dumps, and I use a rake with a piece of pvc pipe on it to keep from destroying my road. do you go forward or reverse with either implement. I do have to go up hill then go backwards. If you say it will be easier then I am in.

1121161558.jpg

Last edited:
   / Backblade vs Landscape Rake For Snow Removal #3  
PHOTOS!!!! please...

/ Backblade vs Landscape Rake For Snow Removal #4  
Am I missing something here? Doesn't logic dictate that a solid blade would move snow better than a rake with a whole bunch of spaces between the tines.

I have seen where people will put a board on the bottom of their landscape rake and make a more solid blade.

/ Backblade vs Landscape Rake For Snow Removal
Hello, my Kubota dealer advised me not to push the blade in reverse as it adds additional stress to the 3pt arms and could possibly cause them to bend should I hit a unforeseen obstruction. It sounds like good advise to me. Best, Clay

airbiscuit: You're not missing anything here. While logic may dictate, commonsense says that before going out and buying something you're not all that familiar with that you should try to use what you already have first. There are a lot of posts re using a rake for snow removal. Some with slight modifications. For the price of a good new blade it was worth trying to use the rake first. I just don't have that kind of money to gamble with. Maybe others do. While it was adequate for the light snow we had in the beginning of the season it was woefully inadequate for the heavier huge amounts of snow that we are now experiencing. Best, Clay

/ Backblade vs Landscape Rake For Snow Removal #7  
airbiscuit: You're not missing anything here. While logic may dictate, commonsense says that before going out and buying something you're not all that familiar with that you should try to use what you already have first. There are a lot of posts re using a rake for snow removal. Some with slight modifications. For the price of a good new blade it was worth trying to use the rake first. I just don't have that kind of money to gamble with. Maybe others do. While it was adequate for the light snow we had in the beginning of the season it was woefully inadequate for the heavier huge amounts of snow that we are now experiencing. Best, Clay

Okay, I get it. For those who want to use their landscape rake, why not bolt a 1x8 board on the bottom and see how that works? This pic is a neat example of a metal strip that flips up or down depending on your needs

York Rake.jpg

Last edited:
Landpride offers a bolt-on blade unit similar to this one for their landscape rakes for about $500. I briefly considered that option for my rake. But, for me the $500 went a long way towards the purchase price of a new blade.

/ Backblade vs Landscape Rake For Snow Removal #9  
Just a plane 'ol landscape rake,, 7 foot,,

snowrake_zpsiywudsde.jpg

/ Backblade vs Landscape Rake For Snow Removal #10  
Great pic CAD... way to tell a story! :thumbsup: