Backbreaker, Mankiller, Widow-maker

/ Backbreaker, Mankiller, Widow-maker #11  
Have you looked at getting a 8' double disc? Spring tooth harrow? Chisel plow? Those can all be found used for not too much money.

/ Backbreaker, Mankiller, Widow-maker #12  
If it is just a garden that has been tilled before and no hard duty planned, just get cheapo 6' tiller from TSC or Northern Tool

/ Backbreaker, Mankiller, Widow-maker #13  
CCM will truck ship it to you $$$ or to your local shipping company and you can pick it up there...it is cheaper.
I am gonna get one of their 45" MD models when I get the $$$ and I can get it for 1300 if I pick it up from the shipping company. I can't get anything like that locally for that money.

/ Backbreaker, Mankiller, Widow-maker
thunderworks said:
CCM just shipped an MR190 (72") to me in Kansas. I tilled 8 acres for a prairie grass restoration as well as garden space with it in the last two weeks. The 8 acres was already plowed and disced. The garden is new and was breaking sod . . . works well.

wushaw said:
CCM will truck ship it to you $$$ or to your local shipping company and you can pick it up there...it is cheaper.
I am gonna get one of their 45" MD models when I get the $$$ and I can get it for 1300 if I pick it up from the shipping company. I can't get anything like that locally for that money.

You know, CCM is starting to sound really good! I could go ahead and order a hydraulic toplink while I'm at it!! That's something I've been really wanting too.

RobJ said:
Just mount the old tiller to your 3pt!!! Beat that sucker for a while!!

PBinWA said:
Better yet, use that fancy grapple and just lock the tiller to on, grab it with the grapple and use the tractor to push it around!

LOL.:D That's an idea. I could, however, just grab it with the grapple and beat the crap out of it on the ground!

53gravely said:
You want to truly get the s#$% kicked out of you try an old Gravely with a "rotary Plow" on the front.

I have a video of me geting tossed around trying to break sod with it. I wish I knew how to post it here.

My dad used to have me plow the garden with it when I was 12 and about 75 pounds. Twice I hit rocks and the handlebars kicked up and broke ribs.

That's something I'd like to see.

N80 said:
If it is just a garden that has been tilled before and no hard duty planned, just get cheapo 6' tiller from TSC or Northern Tool

That's a good consideration too! If I could get one that's offset I may consider that.

john bud said:
Have you looked at getting a 8' double disc? Spring tooth harrow? Chisel plow? Those can all be found used for not too much money.

Oh yeah, I've considered it. I would LOVE to get a 3-bottom plow and a 7 or 8 foot disc for other purposes. But, you see, my father-in-law is the keeper of the garden. And he wants me to get a tiller. So, gotta make the inlaws happy!!;)

/ Backbreaker, Mankiller, Widow-maker #15  
Last summer I managed to pick up a used Landpride 48" tiller for $400 (needs new tines so +$150 when I get around to buying them) I was tilling the existing garden and breaking new area for expansion this past weekend. I gotta say that was probably the best $400 I have spent in a long, long time. Dunno what I am going to do with my walk-behind tiller now ;)

Charles

/ Backbreaker, Mankiller, Widow-maker #16  
53Graveley, our rich neighbors had one of those, we envied them!

We had a 1.5 hp sears garden tractor with a plow and a disc!! it was hard to tell which was working harder, the tractor or the pusher/operator.

We always envied the gravley, but he did have trouble starting it.

Mike

/ Backbreaker, Mankiller, Widow-maker #17  
Glowplug said:
. . .I don't care what you call it. But a push type rototiller is a pain in the *****. It probably doesn't help too much that mine has a slightly bent shaft. I was out trying to till our vegetable garden yesterday evening. Probably got a couple thousand square feet done. It almost killed me!! The tiller is probably about 30" wide. I DEFINATELY want to get a 3ph rototiller now! I just wish they weren't so darned expensive. I really would like to get something about 7' wide to cover the rears. The big names like Kuhn and Howard are like $7,000 minimum. I've looked at some of the "grey market" tillers, but even they are about $3,000 is that size. It's virtually impossible to find used rototillers. I wish I had a neighbor that owned a dependable 7' PTO-driven rototiller.

I guess I don't really have a question. Just whining a little.

Ive got an 8 HP..rear tine model here you can use with one hand....I just want to have to walk anymore...:D

/ Backbreaker, Mankiller, Widow-maker
As luck would have it my secretary told me yesterday that her grandfather has just put his tiller up for sale. It is 80 or 84 inches, 3 years old, barn-kept, and has tilled only a total of 5 acres!! She didn't know what the brand was. But I can tell you now I am going to be out there tomorrow checking that out!

/ Backbreaker, Mankiller, Widow-maker #19  
Glowplug said:
and has tilled only a total of 5 acres!!

Yes, but how many times has it tilled that five acres!?!;)