Backhoe Backhoe boom lock pin

/ Backhoe boom lock pin
I haven't contacted the dealer yet.. I've been quite busy. I also was wondering if it was a valve that was leaking off or something? From what I've read on the posts, seems that all of the backhoes seems to drop to some degree. I was originally wondering if there was some way of adjusting it, like during the initial set-up. But from what I've been told, I don't think so. There are quite a few well informed and knowledgeable people here which is quite nice. Especially since they hand out free advice........ free advice is kind of like cheating. Anyway, as soon as I get some free time when the dealer is open and I can remember, I will give them a call and see what they say.

/ Backhoe boom lock pin #22  
For the boom to slack off that fast that you can't even put the pin in there is a problem. I agree with most that this is a safety issue and should be fixed under warrenty. for a dealer to tell you to use a 2x4 or what ever the lift the boom is is bull. I lock mine up everytime I am going to do a lot of loader work and at the end of every day.

aloha

joe /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Backhoe boom lock pin
It's not that it slacks off that quick it's that you can't put the pin in, it just never lines up. If you pull back on the stick and keep it pulled back the holes aren't lined up they are slightly off, you can hear the pump as if it maxed out. But if you are using the hoe and when you're done you pull back on the stick the hoe comes all the way up and then relaxes back down just a little bit, enough so they are not lined up. Its hard to remember to call the dealer to ask about it when it was approx. 10 degrees out and there is no way I would be using the hoe to remind me.

/ Backhoe boom lock pin #24  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It's not that it slacks off that quick it's that you can't put the pin in, it just never lines up. If you pull back on the stick and keep it pulled back the holes aren't lined up they are slightly off, you can hear the pump as if it maxed out. But if you are using the hoe and when you're done you pull back on the stick the hoe comes all the way up and then relaxes back down just a little bit, enough so they are not lined up. Its hard to remember to call the dealer to ask about it when it was approx. 10 degrees out and there is no way I would be using the hoe to remind me. )</font>

Ditto here, The first time I used it it was fine thereafter /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Backhoe boom lock pin #25  
Hi guys, you might try finding a metal cutting "hole saw" with the same od as your locking pin. Using the outside hole as a guide run the saw teeth into the inside hole to remove only mis-algined material. A little play at this boom transport pin should not be a problem. This works well IF you can find a hole saw of the proper od size.
However, as some mentioned earlier, a smaller dia. pin might be the quick and easy way out here.

cheers,

/ Backhoe boom lock pin #26  
How about just using a big round file on the excess material? Less likely to cause a mess I would think. If there is just a bit of material to remove it should not be hard. I presume they use a mild steel for the pin receptacle.

/ Backhoe boom lock pin #27  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
How about just using a big round file on the excess material?)</font>
That should work just fine. I often have used a Dremel tool with a grinding wheel on to do the interior of small holes, with good results.
Just grind out a little until the pin will go through. The little bit of slack won't be a problem as this pin is simply holding up the boom.
John

/ Backhoe boom lock pin #28  
/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gifThat would require filing about 3/16" on my BH. Not sure I want to tackle that. What I don't understand or cannot see is how it settled so much so fast. When it arrived here new it worked fine but after playing /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif with it a couple of times the pin would not work. I did get a smaller pin but if the engineers say it needs to be 3/4" then I would think that is what Kioti would want put in it. I can manually lift the bucket about 4-5 inches. That is the amount of play somewhere in the boom system.

/ Backhoe boom lock pin #29  
I can't speak for other brands, but I'm just finding out my NH 758c is designed to drop 10" in an hour. It's in the relief valve and it's purpose is to prevent spiking the hydraulic pressure when driving and bouncing the boom. I think it's like an orifice. Mine is faulty and is allowing it to drop a couple of inches per minute. New one is on the way.

/ Backhoe boom lock pin #30  
That is odd, that it worked fine when you first got the tractor but now the pin doesn't fit. I would wonder if there was something obstructing the boom from moving to the full up position or if there is something that has gone wrong with the hydraulic cylinder. I am not an expert at all but it seems a different issue than poor fit if indeed it worked fine in the beginning.