backhoe bucket

/ backhoe bucket #1  

sherpa

Platinum Member
Tractor
2004 NH TC33D & 2014 NH Boomer 24
I was thinking about getting me another bucket for my B20 backhoe. It appears that my bucket teeth have been changed by welding new and larger teeth holders on. The 4 removable teeth on my 15" bucket are about 3 inches wide. It works good but someone told me it would work better with smaller teeth. I had several questions:

How expensive are buckets?

Where is a good place to buy a bucket?

How do you measure your bucket attachment holes?

Are the attachment holes universal/standard?

Would I be better off
1-keeping what I got,

2-grinding off the old teeth holders brackets and welding on new ones to hold smaller teeth,or

3-buying a bucket?

Sherpa

/ backhoe bucket
Here is a picture of it.
Sherpa

Attachments

• 547282-Bucket 1.JPG
    547282-Bucket 1.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 457
   / backhoe bucket
Another picture.
Sherpa

Attachments

• 547284-Bucket 2.JPG
    547284-Bucket 2.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 365
   / backhoe bucket #4  
<font color="blue"> ...It works good but someone told me it would work better with smaller teeth. I </font>

Sherpa,

If you are just going to end up with the same size bucket that you are starting with, I would just keep what I had, as is, if it works well.

Those teeth do look a little larger than what are on my 16" Kubota bucket, for the BL4690 hoe, but not all that much wider.

Maybe if you were digging into rock or shale, smaller teeth might be better. What type of soil do you normally dig?

My gut reaction is to let things be...Buckets were pretty expensive when I bought my backhoe a couple years ago. If I remember right, my 8" cost about $350 and a 24" was something like $700. Those may be list prices though...

I would want to be pretty sure that smaller teeth would make an improvement before I went to the trouble and expense to change anything. It would be unfortunate if you spent time and money and nothing changed, and even worse if performance in your conditions actually got worse instead of better.

Edit: I did not see your first picture before typing the above(think your forgot to attach it). Now that I see it I would say that those teeth look about standard to me...I don't think they are any larger than what I have on my 16" bucket. Would have to measure mine to be sure though...I would not change what you have if that bucket were mine... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ backhoe bucket
Henro,
I forgot you had one, thanks for looking at mine. I did not have one to look at to compare it too anything. It works pretty good in the NC red clay around here. A fellow who works with timber was by here and noticed it and made the comment that the teeth were too big and it would work better if they were replaced with smaller ones. Does your bucket have 4 teeth?
Sherpa

/ backhoe bucket #6  
Yes, my 16" bucket has four teeth.

I took a picture of it this morning and will post when I get to the computer where I can download pictures easily.

I think my bucket's teeth may be slightly narrower than yours, but I also have an extra inch width...and my memory is not calibrated well enough to compare the mental picture I had of your bucket with what I saw when I looked at mine... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ backhoe bucket #7  
Here is what mine looks like...

The teeth on your bucket do seem a little wider than what came on mine, but the difference is not THAT great, at least in my opinion...from what I can see in the pictures.

Edit: I just noticed the picture I took shows my bucket from the bottom side, rather than from the same angle as yours.
I think in comparison the teeth on my bucket are pretty "flat".

Looking at your picture, I wonder if what caught that guys eye, was that your teeth might be bumping up a little, in a way that might tend to trap the spoils in the bucket, rather than let them fall out easily. But again, if it works well that if more a theoretical consideration than practical one... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 547748-bucket (512 x 384).jpg
    547748-bucket (512 x 384).jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 307
   / backhoe bucket #8  
Are you sure that you cannot get different teeth that fit that shank.It looks like they are a John deere type of rubber/steel pin on type.One common type of tooth is a twin tiger which looks like a snakes tongue. Another is a single tiger which is just a point.These teeth are used mainly for frost or hard clay. They wont last as long but will give good penetration and a lot cheaper than a bucket.

/ backhoe bucket
I seen teeth in the tractor store that were a lot thiner and would not go on my shanks. I guess they may have thin teeth with a wider shank, I dont know?

Here is a picture of the bottom of my bucket. It looks the same as yours.

Attachments

• 547944-Bucket 3.JPG
    547944-Bucket 3.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 306
   / backhoe bucket
Henro
Our buckets look alike. Your shanks bolt on to your bucket and mine have been welded to the bucket. My teeth do have the pins and can be removed. Does your teeth have pins or bolts to attached to the shanks?
Sherpa