Bad Oil New Tractor

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #51  
Sorry but why or how can someone justify buying a piece of equipment for say $20,000, in the case of my last tractor and then try and save $10.00 on a $100.00 maintenance costs? People do it all the time and I simply cannot figure it out.

Or just being so adamant that you will NOT use the manuf. branded fluid just because they can't MAKE you do it so you run the risk of things turning out like this.

I just don't get it.

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #52  
broker than broke - I just read this entire thread in one sitting, so I may have missed what I have been wondering since your first post. Have you contacted the manufacturer of the oil to ask if they make different color fluids? Just curious as to what they say. They may have a known issue with a certain batch and you can work your issue from there.

Or having the original green/brown fluids tested?

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #53  
I think if the OP would quit pouring that Smitty's stuff, which is clearly of unknown parentage, and would flush the hydraulic system with known, high quality oil, the problems might start to go away.

Even the Super-Tech oil from Wally World, I have some confidence in. If it doesn't meet spec, they have deep pockets and lots of lawyers would happy to take them on. Smitty, on the other hand, has to be found before he can be sued and then he has to have two nickels to rub together, which I very much doubt.

One thing that would help a lot is what does the oil look like that comes out of the machine? If it is cloudy, you probably poured anti-freeze in there. If it has been clear every time, then whatever you put in mixes with oil and it is just a matter of enough flushing. If it was cloudy the first few times, and is starting to become clear, you are on the right path, just need some more flushes.

My own opinion is that 25 gallons is not enough to flush a system that holds 10 gallons, really only two flushes. OTOH, 25 gallons of Smitty's has no legitimate use other than going directly to the oil recycling sump.

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #54  
well. what a bad deal. After reading all this I don't see a bit of proof of anything. What is the green stuff ? Where is the "expert" that will say this is what caused the problem. What about the remotes being the wrong ones, could this have in fact caused the problem ? The tractor was "stored" for a length of time twice. Was it prepared according to Mgr directions ? Looks like a lot of assumptions and no facts. I say a lawyer would have a field day with this. also the lawyer wanting paid by the hour doesn't have much incenative, he needs to be getting "paid if I get Paid"

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #55  
'IF' the green stuff put in the tractor by the owner was antifreeze it might have had a thicker consistency than the usual hydraulic oil if it was made to be diluted like most antifreeze was until recently- and it seems that too has changed because people are in general too stupid to read directions carefully and often think the more antifreeze I put in the better and colder climate my car/truck will be able to run in. {So now antifreeze manufacturers are premixing it for all the morons who can't seem to do it themselves}. WRONG answer- too much antifreeze and not enough water is worse in some instances than not enough. It turns to sludge and gums things up- sort of what it sounds like is happening to the tractor that squeals like a stuck pig because it has NO LUBRICATION where it needs it- in the hydraulic system. Antifreeze acts as an etchant, NOT as a lubricant- squealing anyone?
I'm not saying it was or is antifreeze- just that antifreeze is a crappy lubricator and a poor substitute for the proper lubricity from a high quality, of whatever brand, hydraulic oil.

And please let's not compare what a pharmacist does to what a store clerk or warehouse shipping labeler does to 5 gallon pails of various fluids....its not even a close comparison.

I'm sorry you've lost more time and that your tractor and you have been 'sick'. I really believe you must forget this situation and take it as something that you should take responsibility for from the moment you concluded something is amiss. Otherwise you will likely make yourself more ill by trying to prove something you know in your heart is at least partly your own fault for not stopping at the moment you thought something with this picture is wrong. You could have prevented the current outcome, and that is what I would argue against you if I was defending whomever you decide to sue.

But then again, if I spill coffee in my lap and burn my ...s off then I can be awarded millions of $ for not having been warned properly that coffee in a Styrofoam cup might be HOT!!:eek:
Ah, our litigious society- when will it ever end?

I hope you decide to follow the advice of one who suggested you have the system flushed and the proper fluid installed.

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #56  
Ya know BtB keeps beating on Motorcraft oil and apparently how ignorant many of us are for even thinking of using it. Well it turns out Motorcraft oil is an excellent oil and costs NO MORE than other oils at Walmart. I have used it in my FORD and even use it in my HONDA. Get over it.

Another thing- it is not ILLEGAL for a manufacturer to require one to use THEIR oil. It is perfectly legal if the manufacturer supplies the oil they REQUIRE. So get over that one too, or get the story straight.

And BtB doesn't have time to READ all the replies but he does have time to keep reposting the same stuff detailed above. He hasn't answered any of the questions about does he still have the "bad" oil and has it been analyzed. He doesn't appear to have even contacted the manufacturer of the oil, heck for all we know they may admit responsibility right away and offer to take care of the problem. Jeeeez.

I own a Kubota and no I don't use their motor oil. But I do use their tractor fluid, SUDT, and will continue to do so. To me tractor fluids are a little more mysterious than motor oils as to their exact properties. In the big pic the cost is minor to be sure of what I get.

BTW my guess on the mystery GREEN fluid is 2 stroke oil- Smittys sells that too:rolleyes:

Last edited:
   / Bad Oil New Tractor #57  
At one time I did a number of Automotive Lemon Law Arbitration Cases

The OP is exactly correct... in that the Manufacturer cannot deny a warranty claim when it can be proven that a substitute product meets or exceeds the Manufacturer's Specification.

The problem is the Manufacturer only warrants the products it sells... so any claim that a third party product meets the Manufacturer's Spec rests solely with the Party making the claim and that is not Kubota.

Introducing a third party product only serves to make it easy to point fingers back and forth when a warranty problem comes into play.

In the real world... Major Manufacturer's Like Pennzoil, Quaker State, Shell, etc... will and do stand behind their product and have the documentation to prove their claims as well as legal departments.

Off-Brand products, often from one source one day and next week from another are much harder to hold accountable...

I'm hoping for the best for you... it's sounds like it will be difficult.

Have you looked into the financials of the product you purchased? What kind of numbers in dollars is their market share... have their been any similar suits previously?

I hope you still have the container with at least a little of the Green Fluid inside to have analyzed by a lab qualified to provide Expert Testimony in litigation...

Last edited:
   / Bad Oil New Tractor #58  
Well I am still against running it if it was antifreeze that was poured in there no amount of flushing is going to reverse the damage that's already been done once antifreeze gets into bearings it's not a pretty sight.
If the lawyer is going to charge you $350 an hr why not take it to another dealer other than the one that messed up your valves and have him check it out dealer probably charges 70-80 per hr and you would have documentation on what is really going on .it just may be something that the dealer did.
Then with all of your ducks in a row you could pursue this in small claims court no lawyer involved

As far as using MFG'S oil and filters that's BULL if it meets the spec's on oil use it.I was buying oil in 55gal drums and used it in all brands of tractors and had no problem. In fact a dealer down the road was buying bulk oil he was using Shell Rotella 15-40 and Texaco UTF had 300 gal tanks.
Oil filters are another story after changing many filter for customers I only buy WIX,BALDWIN,FLEETGUARD filters.I have found that these filters are very high in quality and weigh more new than some of the off brand filters that I removed with the oil or diesel still in them.

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #59  
Part II of my reply...

I realize the apparent problem is the product purchased was improperly labeled and in fact not Smitty's Super Trac Tractor Hydraulic Fluid.

I went to the Smitty's website for additional information and KUBOTA IS NOT MENTIONED as one of the recommended applications for this product...

Here is what it says:

"Super Trac Tractor Hydraulic Fluid is a universal lubricant for farm and industrial tractors and construction equipment. Super Trac is a blend of highly refined base stocks selected for their inherent thermal stability. It has a premium EP, anti-wear additive package and highly active rust, corrosion and oxidation inhibitor, all in a balanced performance package to insure proper lubrication, wear protection, oxidation stability, water tolerance, low brake chatter, compatibility with seals, o-rings, and packing materials. Super Trac is a true multiple service oil recommended for the majority of hydraulic, wet brake, and transmission requirements of most equipment manufacturers, including Allis Chalmer, J. I. Case, John Deere, Ford, International Harvester, Massey-Ferguson, Allison and White."

Reference Link: Super S Oils

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #60