Bad Oil New Tractor

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #61  
As far as using MFG'S oil and filters that's BULL if it meets the spec's on oil use it

Any chance the green stuff was alge?

Just a quick note on this. If you read the pails of oil you'll find that many oils meet Kubota UDT spec, but I don't know of any generics that meet Super UDT. Most of the newer tractors are requiring SUDT. The added cost is offset by the fact that your only changing the fluid half as often... check your owners manuals.

Every dealer can point to several customers who have been burned by using non-OEM filters, oils, etc. A few weeks ago we had a New Holland TN that had a wix filter on it. The filter material came loose and was sucked into the engine and wrecked the whole thing. I can understand if you saved substantal sums by using non-OEM stuff, but the difference is all to offten not more than a few bucks. Its cheap insurance.

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #62  
Any chance the green stuff was alge?

Just a quick note on this. If you read the pails of oil you'll find that many oils meet Kubota UDT spec, but I don't know of any generics that meet Super UDT. Most of the newer tractors are requiring SUDT. The added cost is offset by the fact that your only changing the fluid half as often... check your owners manuals.

Every dealer can point to several customers who have been burned by using non-OEM filters, oils, etc. A few weeks ago we had a New Holland TN that had a wix filter on it. The filter material came loose and was sucked into the engine and wrecked the whole thing. I can understand if you saved substantal sums by using non-OEM stuff, but the difference is all to offten not more than a few bucks. Its cheap insurance.

If you look at op you will see that it was serviced by a Kubota dealer would you not replace oil when all the work was done on the brakes .
as far as the oil filter goes DID you call WIX and tell them you had a problem they may want to know did you send them the old filter who replaced the filter the customer, did they get all the cellophane off the filter before they installed it?
AS far as the same old BS about buying oem oil filters how do you explain a customer of mine brought over a NH LB 620 with NH filter in it the paint was coming off the filter so I got the rest of the paint off and it was a WIX filter!

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #63  
If you look at op you will see that it was serviced by a Kubota dealer would you not replace oil when all the work was done on the brakes .
as far as the oil filter goes DID you call WIX and tell them you had a problem they may want to know did you send them the old filter who replaced the filter the customer, did they get all the cellophane off the filter before they installed it?
AS far as the same old BS about buying oem oil filters how do you explain a customer of mine brought over a NH LB 620 with NH filter in it the paint was coming off the filter so I got the rest of the paint off and it was a WIX filter!
Yep, I remember when I worked in a hardware department in a large department store. Brand named paint would come in by the case and I was told by the management to remove the paint can labels and replace them with the department store labels, and we sold both kinds, the brand name and the store brand. Go figure! This was many moons ago.

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #64  
"Does anybody use Motorcraft oil in their Ford truck or car, or Delco in their GM? I don't and never will. I'm sure SOMEBODY does because they still sell it. I run RPM DELO 400 in my Ford power stroke. Ford "recommends" Motorcraft, WHY?? BECAUSE THEY SELL IT, that's all."

I am like most and use aftermarket filters and oil. One thing interesting is I have found that Fords oil is better priced than any aftermarket oil out there other than WalMart Brand oil.

Either way I fell sorry for the guy. I really feel that the only one he is going to have a chance in **** of going after is the oils manufacture. Kuboat and the parts dealer are going to wash their hands of it.

Chris

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #65  
kentrac:

Even if you could prove that NH doesn't spec the filter differently when they order 10,000 of them from Wix (which you can't), the BIG difference is that when the engine sucks in a filter, if its a NH filter guess who buys a new engine: NH. If it's a WIX filter guess who buys a new engine: WIX or YOU! I'd love to see how much trouble you would have to go to to get WIX to buy a new engine!

By the way the NH filter from WIX fits hundreds of engines. Do you REALLY believe that the operating conditions are close enough on all for that filter to work equally well? If you were a manufacturer and wanted to insure your reputation, wouldn't you make spec changes when you order 10K filters for the parts dept? And I'll bet WIX would make those changes, too.:D

Part Applications

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #66  
I think there's a difference between what you know and what you can prove. The other question is it worth it in time and money?

[[[I run SUDT because I haven't been able to fing anything aftermarket that says it meets SUDT specs. Plenty of stuff meets UDT but I haven't seen anything that meets SUDT.]]] I have no problem running a high dollar synthetic if it meets or exceeds manufacturer specs. If you were running Kubota fluid and had these issues it would be a much easier fight.
Do you have SUDT specs? I ask because I am interested in looking. My Dealer does nothave enuf SUDT for an oilchange. They say everybody just uses UDT. For ordering purposes they would "have to order a pallet and couldnt sell it in a reasonable time".
larry

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #67  
kentrac:

Even if you could prove that NH doesn't spec the filter differently when they order 10,000 of them from Wix (which you can't), the BIG difference is that when the engine sucks in a filter, if its a NH filter guess who buys a new engine: NH. If it's a WIX filter guess who buys a new engine: WIX or YOU! I'd love to see how much trouble you would have to go to to get WIX to buy a new engine!

By the way the NH filter from WIX fits hundreds of engines. Do you REALLY believe that the operating conditions are close enough on all for that filter to work equally well? If you were a manufacturer and wanted to insure your reputation, wouldn't you make spec changes when you order 10K filters for the parts dept? And I'll bet WIX would make those changes, too.:D

Part Applications

So what you are telling me is the wix # that was on the NH filter is not the same as the WIX filter I replaced it with which was the same # . SO wix is using the same # for different specs I DON'T think SO.
BTW what do you think would happen if you bought a Kuboto filter and put it in yourself and the engine sucked the filter in, they would say you improperly installed the filter and you would pay !

Last edited:
   / Bad Oil New Tractor #68  
What Messicks said about a spec on the type of oil makes sense. What is less viable is the oil filter argument about whatever brand vs. OEM. Often OEM is what a tractor, car, truck, lawnmower manufacturer has a major filter company make and put the Ford, Kubota, Kioti, John Deere, etc. name and color on and package for the Dealer network to sell at a higher retail cost than one can buy the exact same filter under another name at K-Mart, Walmart, Costco, Allied Auto, Napa, etc.
Does what filter one uses really make a difference? Yes and no. Depends on if a Wix filter or a Bosch or Mopar or whatever brand fails like Messick's exemplified. Regardless of who's name is on the filter the company that manufactured the filter ought to be the one to take responsibility for the defect/failure IF it can be shown that they are the responsible party in our litigious society.

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #69  
i don't understand why anyone is gettin' sued......when the pail was opened and it was green it should have never went it to the tractor.....person that put green oil in should be sued.....should have been returned and what oil got in there drained and the right oil from Kuboat put in it......50 hours is still brand new should have stuck with was what Kuboat sells for warnttey....then when it's out put in what ever....

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #70  
Regardless of who's name is on the filter the company that manufactured the filter ought to be the one to take responsibility for the defect/failure IF it can be shown that they are the responsible party in our litigious society.

I agree in principle, but if I take my John Deer tractor into the John Deere dealer and they have their name on the defective filter, I don't have to sort out who really made it, and force them to pay up. The dealer is on the hook to fix the problem caused by "his" filter.

Now I know they will turn around and get Wix or whoever really made it to reimburse them for the costs, but there is no lawsuit necessary. When you buy filters 100,000 or so at a time, the manufacturer of filters is going to make good on his mistakes.

When I buy 2 or 3 filters a year, I am going to need lawyers and lawsuits to get those same results.

Dave's law of customer service goes like this: "The service you get from anyone depends solely on the amount of money he thinks you will pay him in the future. Money paid in the past does not count."

There are exceptions of course, and reputable contractors will stand behind their work, but even there the rule works. Think about this situation: Your two year old roof has started to leak. You call the contractor and he says he will come out & repair it, but he has to work it into his schedule. Now suppose you are a builder and have a few houses going up that will need roofs. I bet that contractor will be out to fix yours the very next day.