Bad seat time...

/ Bad seat time... #21  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> God made dogs lives so short so we could enjoy more of them in our short lifetimes </font> )</font>

That's a beautiful thought.

Please accept my condolences. I can only imagine what you must be feeling at this moment but time will help heal the pain.

Here in East Texas we have a big problem with stray dogs chasing livestock. After his horses were harassed, a neighbor went on a spree of shooting every dog he saw irregardless of whether it had a collar on or not. About that time, one of our dogs was shot in the foot. She had been brought up around horses and cows and wasn't a chaser or a wanderer but she did patrol our pasture. Couldn't prove anything but it sure was a coincidence. Right after that my wife converted them from outside dogs to inside dogs and that's where they've been ever since. I don't know what it is about dogs that allows them to weave themselves into the fabric of our lives but I do know that life would be a lot poorer without them.

/ Bad seat time... #22  
This thread is a testemant to the quality of the people that post on TBN. Its nice to see people that can disagree in many areas pull together to support someone else when needed. My hat is off to all of you for your collective kindness and support for others. You are what makes America great.

/ Bad seat time... #23  
I can empathize. Second best dog We've ever owned. Collared, groomed dog shot down, we heard the shot and the yelp, but never could prove who did it (although we have a good idea) and didn't find the body. My favorite part was explaining to my 3 yo why her annie went away /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
three months later, we are all better and looking to adopt again.
Laws are different in different areas, however, I was surprised to find out in "hang 'em high" Texas that it is NOT legal to shoot a dog on your property, just because they are on your property. The canine must be threatening people or livestock.

I would suggest you contact PETA (note: not an endorsement of that organization) for legal direction and call you local law enforcement RIGHT NOW. You may have to make them aware what the law is. Nothing will happen to your "neighbor" but an inquiring sheriff will let them know what they did was illegal and that someone did not appreciate it.

On the bright side, our place is now being fenced hog-tight because my wife said she didn't care what it cost, get it done so it didn't happen to the best dog we've ever owned.

My condolences

/ Bad seat time... #24  
DFW,

Just had to chime in with everyone else to say I am very sorry for your loss. That is truly a heatbreaking situation.

I think it is great that we can share even things like this with list, and find so much understanding.

Be strong and best wishes!

Matt

/ Bad seat time... #25  
DFW.. I have to chime in here too, and express my sympathy...I can't imagine ANYONE destroying our "best friends". I could go on, but...

JackD

/ Bad seat time... #26  
DFW Ive had to do it several times over the last few years with a few of the dogs I gew up with even a cat. Ive even dug 3 graves for folks I went to high school with. I beilve the pets were harder to bury. dont mean to sound cold but ive always been alot closer to my animals. You have my prayers Taylor Lambert

/ Bad seat time... #27  
Boy, I can imagine what you are going through. We've had 3 losses in the last few years, and they seem to get harder and harder. Then, back in April, I noticed a very rapid deterioration in my unusually large (for his breed) 75 lb Husky, who's 10 now, over the course of a day. By the time I got him in to the afterhours emergency clinic, he had a fever of 107.5* (apparently 108 usually means the end in a dog), and it didn't look like he would make it through the night. So, nearly out of the blue, I was having to put very serious consideration into putting him down, only a day after he was bouncing around like normal.

My wife begged me to not do it, but to have them put him on intravenous meds so they could try like heck to get him through the night, so that I could rush him home for the kids to say goodbye the next morning. He made it through the night after they got his temp down, and that next morning was horrible keeping my composure while the kids said their goodbyes, explaining everything to them, knowing that I was going to take him into our vet to end it.

When I got him into the vet, his temp was near normal, so the recommendation was that with such a rapid recovery, the antibiotics must have been getting whatever was ailing him ($600 worth of tests still couldn't determine the problem). Well, I'm happy to report that 5 days later, not only was my buddy still around, but he was completely back to his normal hyper self. And he seems to be getting more and more like when he was a puppy (happy and hyper) to this day.

But when I hear of stories like this, and think about the day that will eventually come, and remember how close it almost was, it's quite sobering. Even more so knowing how devastated my 3 year old daughter will be when that day finally does come.

So, hang in there. My condolences to you and your family. Hope my little miracle story didn't bum you out any more than you already probably are.

/ Bad seat time... #28  
"Someone said that the only place you can bury a dog is in your heart. That way you can call the dog in for a little chat now and then- teasing it about being a clumsy puppy and looking down down at your old hunting boots remembering who it was that put teeth marks in them.

You can hunt a day or so again, together, when you need a certain kind of memory- another day you like better than the one you're living right now"

Gene Hill
"Tippy" in Tears and Laughter

/ Bad seat time... #29  
So sorry to hear about your loss. Reading the numerous posts brought tears to my eyes thinking about how important these special animals are. My dogs are every bit a part of our family and I can't imagine losing one of them in such a cruel and heartless manner. Best wishes and God bless your old friend. He may be gone but not fogotten.

/ Bad seat time... #30  
I know how you feel. We lost our lab and bulldog within a month of each other this March and April. It was a hard spring for the whole family.

My condolences.

Kevin