Baling hay with a Grand L5740?

/ Baling hay with a Grand L5740?
When you have something as nice as that beautiful 5075M........

Yes. It's a crazy idea. :)

Would you trade the 110 in? Or would you add a 3rd tractor?
We'd use the 5075M on a round baler - JD 457 or maybe a JD 435. The L5740 would be on the JD 336 sq. baler. We've been using the 110 as the tedding and raking tractor. I'd like to keep it around the farm.. but, it might end up sitting around most of the time with a nice, cab L5740!

Just add another tractor for the short-term and see how everything works. But, I'll likely end up selling it in a year or so.

AKfish

/ Baling hay with a Grand L5740? #12  
akfish,

I could always bring my 5740 down there this summer and you could try it out. I wouldnt mind actually using the tractor besides blowing snow and loader work.

Bill

/ Baling hay with a Grand L5740? #13  
For tedding and raking I think the HST would be great. I don't know enough about them to know why baling would be an issue other than tractor weight depending on your baler. I looked at buying an hydro tractor to teach my daughter with and to allow her to eventually help with raking and tedding on my hay operation but I didn't find one that met my overall requirements as its main purpose was to mount a post pounder on and most of the small compacts are a huge hassle to mount anything to the mid section. So I ended up with the Farmall 45A which is a great tractor and I believe one that she will be able to handle easily in a couple years. If I find a good deal on a cab hydro though in the 30-40hp range I may get it for her own tractor.

/ Baling hay with a Grand L5740? #14  
Your 400 - 500 bale annual is a part day. No problem for a L5740. I wish I had mine back in the really old days when we baled with a Farmall M on a New Holland Hayliner 68 - no live PTO so it was try to pull the tractor out of gear while pulling when the engine started to lug bad, or face unplugging the baler. Thank goodness we got a live PTO tractor in '58, but still there was the shifting up and down. I would have loved my L5740 on the baler back then - more PTO HP than the M, about equal to the replacement Case, and the ability to match travel speed to baler old automatically with the HST Plus.

akfish,

I could always bring my 5740 down there this summer and you could try it out. I wouldnt mind actually using the tractor besides blowing snow and loader work.

Bill

You ever bale hay before? :) You might like it TOO much... start buying cows and balers and rakes and tedders and.... :laughing:

AKfish

Your 400 - 500 bale annual is a part day. No problem for a L5740. I wish I had mine back in the really old days when we baled with a Farmall M on a New Holland Hayliner 68 - no live PTO so it was try to pull the tractor out of gear while pulling when the engine started to lug bad, or face unplugging the baler. Thank goodness we got a live PTO tractor in '58, but still there was the shifting up and down. I would have loved my L5740 on the baler back then - more PTO HP than the M, about equal to the replacement Case, and the ability to match travel speed to baler old automatically with the HST Plus.

Yep... with a good warm day - I'm all done by 7pm. 'Course, I tedd everything in the morning and then rake again about noon and start baling shortly after. Another Kubota has caught my fancy, too. The MX5100 HST might just fit the bill, too.

And, it might be a better tractor to crawl around my corrals and muck out manure than the cabbed, L5740. My old, JD970 could get into the front of the barn and other spots that neither the 110 or 5075 could ever dream of workin' in!

AKfish

/ Baling hay with a Grand L5740? #17  
Sq baling with a HST would be much easier on tractor than attempting to plow with one. IHC yrs ago built a tractor with HST that was the "cats meow" to use to sq bale. One can find out the "full capacity" of a sq baler very easily.

/ Baling hay with a Grand L5740? #18  
I bale hay with the equivalent Deere 4520 and it's the cats meow. HST lets you infinitely vary the feed to the baler depending on your windrow. I love it. I had been using a NH TN75DA (16x16 power reverser) which is a great full size machine but the compact is actually easier to use to cut, rake, ted, and bale ( i use a sickle mower and HST is much easier to use to cut with due to all the speed changes at corners and such).

/ Baling hay with a Grand L5740? #19  
Yep... with a good warm day - I'm all done by 7pm. 'Course, I tedd everything in the morning and then rake again about noon and start baling shortly after. Another Kubota has caught my fancy, too. The MX5100 HST might just fit the bill, too.

And, it might be a better tractor to crawl around my corrals and muck out manure than the cabbed, L5740. My old, JD970 could get into the front of the barn and other spots that neither the 110 or 5075 could ever dream of workin' in!

AKfish
I think the MX5100 would handle it with no problem it is a surprisingly useful compact tractor. Where is Kasilof, AK? I am not familiar with it.

/ Baling hay with a Grand L5740? #20  
Sq baling with a HST would be much easier on tractor than attempting to plow with one. IHC yrs ago built a tractor with HST that was the "cats meow" to use to sq bale. One can find out the "full capacity" of a sq baler very easily.

But they didn't take to heavy tillage very well. Thus started the gear vs. hydro religious wars we still see today. :laughing: We sometimes forget there was some serious innovation going on with the old line manufacturers, who were very competitive.