Bar & Chain Oil?

/ Bar & Chain Oil? #1  

GerardC

Elite Member
Tractor
KIOTI CK20 GEAR.
Is it a straight 30 weight oil? Does it have other uses? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Bar & Chain Oil? #2  
I use Stihl oil for $5 a gallon and it looks and acts like maple syrup. The way it pours I think it's thicker than 30 weight.

/ Bar & Chain Oil? #3  
It's got tackifiers? in it. I doubt that there's much difference in brands. I get the cheapo(less than $2.50/gallon) at the auto dept. at Walmart. There is a winter blend which is a little thinner. Other uses? Hmmm. Maybe it would be a good lube for chains on 4-wheelers and such.

/ Bar & Chain Oil? #5  
In Australia we have higher operating temperatures cutting harder eucalypt timber. I have used a number of bar lubes my local oil depot has put me on to. I like "Shell saw chain oil" as it is thicker than the "Shell bar and chain lube" which is generally available. Most recommended bar lubes in Australia are far to thin for our temperatures.

/ Bar & Chain Oil? #6  
I believe chain saw oil is much thicker than 30 weight. The oil I use is much more like 50-60 weight. I would not use this oil on a bike chain. It is sticky and will hold any dirt that contacts it. I think it is also too thick to flow into the links to lubricate the rollers.

/ Bar & Chain Oil? #7  
Over on the chainsaw forum, to start a thread like this is about the same as starting a "Which is better, hydro-static or gear shift?" thread here.

While many people use straight 30w with no problems, I don't think that there is a chainsaw dealer alive that would tell you to use it. I don't think it's just so they can sell you there brand oil either. I had one guy tell me that he didn't care what brand I used, just use bar & chain oil and NOT motor oil.

/ Bar & Chain Oil? #8  
You can, but it is far from optimal. Lot's of good info here. Link

/ Bar & Chain Oil? #9  
Its' thicker than 30w and has a tack agent so it stays on the chain and bar better. You could use 30w oil but you'll use it up a LOT faster than bar oil. I used up some partial quarts of 10-30 and 10-40 after running out of bar oil.

IMO...its cheaper and better just to use the bar oil.

/ Bar & Chain Oil? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is it a straight 30 weight oil? Does it have other uses? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif )</font>

Any oil with a medium viscosity should suffice. We aren't talking
of exceptional precision in either the chain, bar nor lubrication
mechanism. The mechanisms tend to be drip-feed and just leak oil
onto the chain/bar.

While this may give some lubrication technologists a seizure, I
just use whatever motor oil I find remaining in partially consumed
bottles left lying around without any particular concern for mixing
viscosities, etc..