Bare-bones tools necessities for "home" shop????

/ Bare-bones tools necessities for "home" shop???? #1  

Big Wave D

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L35, Kubota B6200E
I was wondering what some of you master fabricators would deem as the bare minimum in the tools department to have in a "home" shop considered usable/capable of fabricating low to mid-level challenge projects?

I know that what some consider a must have others might call a luxury. That being said, there is going to be overlapping areas of needed tools that all agree are really necessities of a truly functional shop.

Lastly, if looking for quality, used tools, what kind of a budget would you guesstimate to furnish said shop.

Thanks to all for their time and comments.

/ Bare-bones tools necessities for "home" shop???? #2  
With an AC, 240v Stick welder, gas/oxygen cutting torch, drill press, abrasive cut-off saw, angle grinder, and assorted welding clamps you can do a lot, I would consider this the bare minimum.

Add a large MIG welder, horizontal band saw, bench grinder, large air compressor, sand blast cabinet, air tools, and hydraulic press. If you can afford it.

If money is not a problem, add a vertical band saw, plasma cuter, milling machine, lathe and TIG welder.

/ Bare-bones tools necessities for "home" shop???? #3  
I am actually working on this very thing for myself.

Here is my thoughts:

1) Stick welder
2) Band saw (floor standing)
3) Drill Press (floor standing)
4) Good vise
5) Good, strong workbench. I want to be able to put anything my loader can lift on it.
6) Oxy/Acetylene torch.

Plasma cutter is WAY down the list. Chop/abrasive saw is kind of redundant to the band saw IMHO. MIG would be nice, but I don't see a real "NEED" for it.

Just keep in mind, that you can do many of the tasks of things like the band saw and drill press with hand tools and a decent vise.

/ Bare-bones tools necessities for "home" shop???? #4  
Something to drill with.
Something to cut metal.
Something to weld metal.

/ Bare-bones tools necessities for "home" shop???? #5  
IMO...the more skilled one is the less one really needs the fancier tools...and in the same respect...you can have the best most sophisticated tools available but if you don't know how to use them correctly...well...the results may not be as satisfactory as we would like...

I'm a shipwright/fabricator by trade...but when I'm here in Rural N.E. GA I only have a minimum of portable hand tools...(no stand up bench tools) I have a Hobart 140 Amp welder...and a portable drill press (see pics in link)

I fabricated this grapple http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/174846-homemade-grapple-b1700.html here with only hand tools...all the cuts were made with a (hand held) reciprocating saw...

/ Bare-bones tools necessities for "home" shop???? #6  
Something to drill with.
Something to cut metal.
Something to weld metal.

Right On

/ Bare-bones tools necessities for "home" shop???? #7  
Bare Bones stuff for a shop? :)

A neighbour who has tools and is willing to use them in a knowledgeable manner.:thumbsup:

/ Bare-bones tools necessities for "home" shop????
Egon,

I've been working with wood most of my entire adult life. This medium of building things with I'm very versed.

I like what you have to say in your post. I just wish I could find a "Metal Mentor".

I can weld so that things stay together, but it sure isn't pretty. I can perform the layout for pieces as well. What I don't know is the nuances of metal and how to keep things true, tight, and remaining square.

The Professor who teaches my classes at the school of hard knocks grades on a brutal curve.

Thanks again to all who have replied. I'm going to print this thread off and use it as my Purchasing Guide for future tool buying.

/ Bare-bones tools necessities for "home" shop???? #9  
BWD what you want to do is always clamp down your metal if at all possible once you have squared it up and trued it. If you are not able to clamp it, always remember the piece of metal is going to pull [lean] towards the first weld you put on it. For instance if you are going to start welding on the right side, you can always let it lean a little to the left and tack it on the right side first. Just a small tack tho. If it leans to much, tap it back over with ur hammer and then when straight, tack it on the left side. then tack ur right side bottom and then the left side bottom. In other words go from side to side tacking until its where you want it, and then go for it. good luck man zman:cool: