Bare-bones tools necessities for "home" shop????

/ Bare-bones tools necessities for "home" shop????
Yes, I suppose that would be the same as beating a dead horse. :laughing::laughing:

Quite a few people have posted to this thread about the portable band saw:

image_1378.jpg

Which looks like the above. My question is how useful is this form of a band saw as compared to a shop floor model. I see it cutting angle, flat, pipe, or basically anything that comes in lengths(if it can fit in the tools throat), but how accurate can you be free handing a cut while holding about 15 pounds? Seems like the weight would begin to wear on you after a few cuts, especially if you're cutting something in an awkward or precarious position, because it's portable you know.

I really don't know much about this one. So if anyone has one, please give your two cents worth on whether this should or shouldn't be part of the B.B.W.S.

Thanks

/ Bare-bones tools necessities for "home" shop???? #203  
Bad news on my planned HF bandsaw test today. While at HF I picked up some Milwaukee bimetal blades for the variable speed Milwaukee Sawzall that I purchased used last year but never used yet tried out.

The FEL bucket came with three shop made 3/8" brackets from plate steel one either side for forks or something and one side they had been crushed so I was going to use the bandsaw as a test. They stuck 10" down from the top lip making it hard to get even a small stump into the bucket. Now the loader bucket looks HUGE.

Well the Milwaukee Sawzall was cutting them of like a dull knife in warm butter so I could not stop and put one of the good Morse bimetal bands on the HF to test it out. :)

By the time I cut the first of five (one was already broken off) I was getting the hang of using a Sawsall. Thankfully I had a 4 pound hammer to straighten out the blade when it would dive in head first and hit a steel bottom. :B

These cuts were about 2.5" each and I learned the heat would close the saw blade gap so I had to drive a screw driver into the gap early to keep the blade free. Some would have been an effort to get to with the bandsaw because the three brackets on either side came off as one piece due to a brace across each of the three brackets per side.

I cut about a total of one foot of the hard plate and the blade was still cutting as well as on the first cut.

For those interested I saw the 11 amp Milwaukee version in a plastic carrying case for $97.50 at True Value today.

Well I did not get the HF bandsaw tested but did learn the Sawzall would slice heavy steel plate very quickly.

Hey Gale,

Glad to hear that everything went well with your 'recovery' operation of your FEL bucket.

I'm not sure what the person who en-gin-neered that set up was thinking???? Glad to hear that you have the full use of your bucket back.

Now, quit lolly-gaggin and get that HF Portable Band Saw tried out!!:D:D

/ Bare-bones tools necessities for "home" shop???? #205  
BigWave,

The functionality of the portaband is incredible. Personally, I use a plasma in those type circumstances. But my father bought one a year or so ago, and has found more uses for it than he ever thought.

The weight isn't a problem, because its the weight that does the cutting. All you have to do is hold on...tight. It cuts fast and you're not holding long.

Thanks Mark for the input.

Now, I just need Gale to give his thoughts on his HF 'special', it might be my first purchase, or part of it anyway.

lostcause was talking about that mini-needle scaler. I've used one, but it was years ago, so I'm glad he jogged my memory. Anyway, my hands are really starting to fail me more than not, so instead of hammering the slag off, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one of HF's scalers. I might also get one of the Portable Band Saws if they seem to hold up and perform decently.

Thanks again to all who contribute to this thread and all the other posts on TBN.