Barley Fodder for Horses

/ Barley Fodder for Horses #11  
The lush grass will give them founder (hoof delamination from circulation failure). No Hoof, No Horse.

Eat prime rib everyday for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and tell me what happens just before your heart attack.

I've not heard of founder from grass ... thats interesting. As for the "beef" issue thats an entire new topic.

/ Barley Fodder for Horses #12  
The major differences between pasture grazing and fodder is both the relative maturity of the plants i.e; lignin, cellulose and hemicellulose content of pasture grass at turnout versus the immature fodder barley and the difference in the plant species. Barley is NOT the same as western wheatgrass, etc. it does not have the same fiber composition as pasture grasses. That's a significant reason that grain plants will "lay down" in the field and they don't "pop back up" very well.. ;)

AKfish

OK ...

/ Barley Fodder for Horses #13  
A horse can founder on lush pasture as I had one that did it back in the Spring of the early 60's. She was turned out on pasture with no supplemental feed. This mare of mine that foundered was a very "easy keeper".

/ Barley Fodder for Horses #14  
A horse can founder on lush pasture as I had one that did it back in the Spring of the early 60's. She was turned out on pasture with no supplemental feed. This mare of mine that foundered was a very "easy keeper".

One can learn something everyday.

/ Barley Fodder for Horses #16  
Perhaps I can be of assistance. Simply Country Inc is the licensed manufacturer and distributor for Fodder Solutions in the United States. Horses do extremely well on fodder. We have many customers throughout the United States seeing excellent results. Fodder is relatively new to the US, but has already been proven in other countries. For example: Team Fredericks switch to "fresh fodder" for their Olympic hopefuls - Horse & Hound

Although it's absolutely true that you can founder a horse or have colic issues on grass, fodder is in fact not a grass. It is a sprouted grain and is nutritionally very different. It is an extremely cost effective and healthy way to feed. Feel free to call us with any questions. (530) 615-0565.

/ Barley Fodder for Horses #17  
Perhaps I can be of assistance. Simply Country Inc is the licensed manufacturer and distributor for Fodder Solutions in the United States.
Although it's absolutely true that you can founder a horse or have colic issues on grass, fodder is in fact not a grass. It is a sprouted grain and is nutritionally very different. It is an extremely cost effective and healthy way to feed. Feel free to call us with any questions. (530) 615-0565.

So are you stating that a horse won't founder/colic on your fodder?? How is fodder "very different" from green grass??

/ Barley Fodder for Horses #18  
Tx Jim,

That is correct. Our fodder is only sprouted for 6 days. This is when it has the best nutritional value. Beyond 6 days it will begin to change (and will eventually become a grass) and could cause those issues. This article goes into much more detail and may help explain things: http://www.foddersolutions.net/brochure/Benefits of sprouts for feed.pdf

/ Barley Fodder for Horses #19  
You must not know much about a horse and it's digestive system if you think your product can't/won't founder/colic a horse!!!!!!!!! A horse is the easiest animal on Earth to have digestive problems. How does green grass differ from your 6 day old Barley?????

/ Barley Fodder for Horses #20  
Actually, we do have several decades of experience feeding livestock and horses at Simply Country, Inc. Lamanitis or founder are caused by high levels of fructin in green grasses. Fodder, or barley sprouts do not contain these fructins and thus cannot cause lamanitis.

Colic is caused by a blockage in the intestines. The high moisture content of fodder (typically around 80%) makes it very easy to digest. There are no known cases of colic in horses that are being fed fodder.

Aside from that, I would recommend talking to someone who is currently using fodder with their horses. Sometimes you have to see it to believe it.