Barley Fodder for Horses

/ Barley Fodder for Horses #21  
Actually, we do have several decades of experience feeding livestock and horses at Simply Country, Inc. Lamanitis or founder are caused by high levels of fructin in green grasses. Fodder, or barley sprouts do not contain these fructins and thus cannot cause lamanitis..

There are many more things that can contribute to founder(Lamanitis) other than high levels of fructin in green grasses. Have you ever heard of road founder or founder from drinking too much water at one time especially if horse is overheated. Even something as simple as changing a horses diet can cause founder/colic. As I previously stated you're mistaken if you think your product is "100% incapable of causing founder" in a horse.

/ Barley Fodder for Horses #22  
I did a little investigation on Fodder Solutions. It takes several $$$$$$$ to get set up depending on how many animal units one wants to feed a day. So one better like the "SOLUTION"

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 231
   / Barley Fodder for Horses #23  
There is a difference between founder and colic. Founder has severe implications for the horses hooves. Colic has severe implications for the horses intestinal tract. With founder, the horse may never be able to carry a rider or weight for the remainder of it's life - laminitis. With colic, the horse can flat-out die right on the spot!

I suspect that the fodder (young barley) may not contain excessively high levels of either fructin or other concentrated carbohydrates (i.e. dry oats founder) to cause founder with routine frequency. That is not to say, however; that it could never happen...

However, it would not surprise me if you'd be best advised to not stand too close to the "exhaust port" on your horse when feeding "green fodder"... Might be a situation when "sh!ts like a goose" could mean a serious trip to the washing machine! :eek:

I think that's where the dry hay is an important dietary component.

AKfish

/ Barley Fodder for Horses #24  
AKfish
Did you look at the initial investment required just to give Barley fodder a test trial?? My brother had a AQHA halter champion stallion colic from eating a cotton lead rope. The remnants of the rope formed a hard ball in the horses intestines about the size of a Texas Grapefruit or little larger and had to be surgically removed.

/ Barley Fodder for Horses #25  
Cotton Lead Rope ... Fodder may be a better feed choice. (Sorry you left the door open) I did have one colic and die from twin on a round bale ... thought it was all removed. A close friend had a horse founder on Bahia Grass when it headed out.

/ Barley Fodder for Horses #26  
Naw no door left open. This stallion of my brothers was always chewing on something and chewed on a cotton lead rope enough that my brother changed to tying him up with a chain.

/ Barley Fodder for Horses #27  
I did a little investigation on Fodder Solutions. It takes several $$$$$$$ to get set up depending on how many animal units one wants to feed a day. So one better like the "SOLUTION"

Thank you for posting the prices from the brochure. http://www.foddersolutions.net/brochure/Fodder Sales Information 2012.pdf
For anyone interested, those prices have not changed. We have however introduced several new systems. There is one smaller priced at $4,950. There are also larger systems available (capable of producing several tons per day.) An estimated ROI can be calculated using the tool here: ROI
With any investment you should know ahead of time how it will pay off.

AKfish - Thank you for your comments. You're absolutely correct that dry roughage is an important part of the diet. We never recommend feeding 100% fodder to a horse. At a bare minimum, we recommend feeding at least 1% of a horse's body weight as dry roughage.

/ Barley Fodder for Horses #28  
Thank you for posting the prices from the brochure.

How many horses will the $8990 system plus material such as seed,water & electricity feed a day? I know it's a 6 biscuit system but how many biscuits are required per horse per day??

/ Barley Fodder for Horses #29  
Thank you for posting the prices from the brochure.

How many horses will the $8990 system plus material such as seed,water & electricity feed a day? I know it's a 6 biscuit system but how many biscuits are required per horse per day??

/ Barley Fodder for Horses #30  
The average horse will eat 1 biscuit per day, along with some roughage. That system will feed 6 horses.