Barn remodeling/restoration project

/ Barn remodeling/restoration project
The wiring is original. You have a keen eye. It will be a complete replacement when the electiricans are present to rewire/redo the electric on the farmhouse.

I am not even going to attempt the rewire. I could not forgive myself having the thoughts run through my head, that I made a mistake and burned the barn down by faulty wiring.

We needed to get the stalls and offices in first for horse shelter and storage space for furntiture. The barn really was the only building that offered us the protection from the elements, on this farm project.

Thanks for the note, your concerns are valid.

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( we used the jackhammer to break out all the concrete )</font> That is a lot of work, what did you do with the old concrete?

Framing out the office space.

Finished view of Office and Stables. Still need more T111!

/ Barn remodeling/restoration project #35  
Glad to hear you were aware of the problems that could occur with old barn wiring. Make sure your electricians are aware of proper Ag wiring and use PVC in areas exposed to moisture, which is just about anywhere in a barn or stable except for the office area. Lights should have globes or covers to prevent dust from settling on hot parts. All wiring and conduits, switches, etc need to be kept away from where the animals could get at it.

I used to be an electrician, and was raised near farms (family and friends). In our 3+ year search for the place we have now I saw some real horror stories for wiring. The place we have has a scare story. The previous owner did the wiring. Mechanically he was good, former auto mechanic, but electrically left a lot to be desired. All neutrals are red, the traveler for the 2 way lights is green. Hots are black. Switches can be in either the hot or neutral lead. No ground connections or rods in the stable. I'm going the other way from you. I'm converting a stable to a shop. It is, soon to be was, a great stable. Our horse owning friends are horrified.

/ Barn remodeling/restoration project #36  
Is that chain link fencing in the photo? If so what's it used for?

Yes, that was chain link. Probable use was to keep the calves out of the "office" space.

Obviously, it has since come down. I am back to working on the stalls and ceiling. I have decided to save it. And am cutting out the warps small sections at a time. This summer I hope to paint both the inside and outside.

Perhaps I'll open the paint party to my TBN friends! The roof of course.

-Mike Z.

/ Barn remodeling/restoration project #38  
Riptides: Great job on this. The difference is unbelievable. We are eagerly awaiting your next update. The Wife and I are starting a complete makeover of our horse barn and have gained a number of great ideas from keeping up with your progress.

No updates. I have run electric in it, with a separate panel, and water is on the outside of the barn. I did not feel like punching another hole in the foundation. I am planning to use the existing water line as it goes under and into the barn. All I have to do is dig to find it.

I still have patch work on the ceiling, and need to get the windows back in.

Unfortunate, the farm house took priority, and then the pastures needed fencing. I hope to get back to the barn by the fall.

I need to think about getting my own sprayer for the roof. Estimates to paint are way over my budget.

All-in-all, a once in a lifetime project, the farm. A true money pit. :)

-Mike Z.

Wow....

Three years later... and we are PAINTING the roof today! I have been doing next to nothing on the inside, but did manage to fix the silage area where tin was badly handled in an attempt to add cover of some sort. We even managed to get on the roof to plug some holes, and today we PAINT!!!!

Well the roof anyway. There is much debate about what we should do with the sides, cover in vinyl or paint.......

Pics later in the day!

-Mike Z.