Barn remodeling/restoration project

/ Barn remodeling/restoration project
Ahhh....

A hard day at the other office.

1920 never looked so good. I cannot wait until the sun comes out.

We did, the barn, the milk house, my nut house and carriage house. And I even got to my horse trailer top. You cannot stop a man with a paint supply and a sprayer. If it wasn't moving, it was painted. :)

Original
4297DSC_6641_Medium_-med.JPG

Half way done.

4297DSC_6658_Medium_-med.JPG

Almost done.

4297DSC_6667_Medium_-med.JPG

Now to the rest of it!

-Mike Z.

Hello everyone. As seen in the previous posts, I am still working on my barn. I have progressed to the point of windows. If you look at the photos, you will see circa 1920 wood framed 9-pane glass windows.

Problem is I have only about four of the original frames left. I would like to reproduce the glass, or if it is too costly, move to a plexi-glass arrangement.

I'd like to keep the look of the 9-pane frame.

Some options I am considering:

Looking for a window maker, locally.
Posting my need to craigslist and taking bids.
Finding the frame insert and building it myself.

Any recommendations on where to look for the reproduction insets for the frames? Or where to look for the windows themselves? Appreciated.

I have 24 windows, so I am leaning towards "farming it out". :)

TIA.

/ Barn remodeling/restoration project #44  
What did you paint the roof with? It looks good but I'd like to know what paint can be used over rust like that and still hold up.

I need to find and repair holes in my barn roof and then paint, so any ideas on patching holes would also be helpful.

What did you paint the roof with? It looks good but I'd like to know what paint can be used over rust like that and still hold up.

I need to find and repair holes in my barn roof and then paint, so any ideas on patching holes would also be helpful.

I used a paint from Henry. I think it is available from HD, TSC also carries a like brand. Is called "Henry Metal Roof Coating". Lasts about 5-7 years on mine.

/ Barn remodeling/restoration project #46  
I used a paint from Henry. I think it is available from HD, TSC also carries a like brand. Is called "Henry Metal Roof Coating". Lasts about 5-7 years on mine.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for that HMRC, so far a Google search has only turned up a foreign page and some site that reads like a ransom note. I'd like to try this on my roof because it has a lot of rust.

Your barn looks like a good one to restore. Mine is nothing fancy but a good place to store things out of the weather so I'd like to maintain it.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for that HMRC, so far a Google search has only turned up a foreign page and some site that reads like a ransom note. I'd like to try this on my roof because it has a lot of rust.

Your barn looks like a good one to restore. Mine is nothing fancy but a good place to store things out of the weather so I'd like to maintain it.

The search results are pretty odd. I just browsed that string again and even Sears carries it.

As a side note, I have some people who travel up from the Carolina's that frequent the area who spray (paint) barns and out-buildings. After we did the roll job, more paint applied than a sprayer, we let them hit it one year. Their price was about 1/4 of what I paid in paint alone. Of course it is a spray applied. But if your in it to keep it, my opinion is the more layers you can get on the metal the better. This may be an option for you too? Have someone else paint it?

The barn has been an on again off again project for ten plus years. I started with the roof, seeking out those places where water was coming in. I am still debating a re-wrap in vinyl one day.

/ Barn remodeling/restoration project #48  

I've never done this, but overall, I like Henry products a lot for everything I've used them for. Did you brush it on? How long did that take?

It sure looks good!!!

Eddie

I've never done this, but overall, I like Henry products a lot for everything I've used them for. Did you brush it on? How long did that take?

It sure looks good!!!

Eddie

The pics are from circa 2008 and a sprayer applied them. Since then we have progressed to rolling with Henry, followed by spraying.

The rolling takes days, and usually we can only get the barn done. It provides a much thicker coat and allows for better inspection of the roof while applying.

The spraying, we have gotten 1 to 3 years max on it. Buildings under trees, a lot less time.

I would recommend, rolling first, followed by spraying as needed.

/ Barn remodeling/restoration project #50  
Yes "Henry Metal Roof Coating" is the best and perfect solution for the old rusted things to make it better and beautiful.I hope it have still the same quality as like earlier .