Barndominium/Shop or "real" House?

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #371  
If a residence is more than 200ft from the road, the water & gas services require meter pits. The pits will only be about 50ft form the road, the rest of the ~650ft run will be my responsibility if a water or gas line develops a leak etc.
That makes sense. My dad's house was way back from the street, and the pit was behind the mailbox about 10' and off the side of the driveway. My mom incorporated the lid into the edge of a planted area with day lilies and small shrubs for wildlife.

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #372  
If a residence is more than 200ft from the road, the water & gas services require meter pits. The pits will only be about 50ft form the road, the rest of the ~650ft run will be my responsibility if a water or gas line develops a leak etc.
Yep, that's how it is here. I don't have NG.

My water pit is about 50ft off the road. It's a 24" plastic tile, water line goes thru w/meter in the bottom, about 42" under surface. The lid assembly consists of a 24" cast iron reducer ring and a 12" removable lid that is flush with the ground. I pay no attention to it when mowing with my 2K lb SCUT.

I've saw them in driveways but that would make me a bit nervous.

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #373  
I have a pit similar to the one shone that the fiber optics company installed. It's about 3'x4' and about 3.5' deep. When the crew was installing it I asked if I could drive my lawnmower over it.

Yeah, no problem was his response.

Then I told him my lawnmower weighs over 2000 lbs. and he said I should probably drive around it.

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #374  
I have a pit similar to the one shone that the fiber optics company installed. It's about 3'x4' and about 3.5' deep. When the crew was installing it I asked if I could drive my lawnmower over it.

Yeah, no problem was his response.

Then I told him my lawnmower weighs over 2000 lbs. and he said I should probably drive around it.
🤣

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #375  
As stated water meter pits are required here when over 150' run, and ours is 50' off the road and 18" round x 5'deep with a coil inside with a steel lid - you can drive over. StackPath

But for your purposes I agree with the others - put the meter pits on the edge of the taller grasses (not mown) and weed trim around it a few times a season. Here they don't need to access the meter as they are electronic.

Also as far as surface water ingress, ours is in a low area where water can sit in the spring but it dries out and no adverse effects that I can see.

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House?
I use a Ford 1620 4WD HST to mow with, probably close to 2500lbs with mower deck. I think I definitely want the the enclosure(s) in the unmowed area.

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #377  
All the pit talk got me curious, so I street viewed my father's old house.

The pit cover is still there. The driveway used to come straight out. When my father built the house on the right for his parents, he moved the driveway over to the left 100' or so. Then they cut the water line that ran from the pit to the house on the left, and routed it to the new house on the right. Finally, they ran a new line from the street to the house on the left.

The landscaping is all gone, so now it's in a lawn area. Has been in the lawn since 1996 or so.

(click to enlarge)

A47CE0B0-62FA-4CAB-919A-A213540249CD.jpeg

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #378  
Well every county/municipality is probably a bit different in a given state, but I think in most states there is a maximum distance where the utility company would want the meter from the road.
Must not be that way in Minnesota. My driveway is about 150’ gas meter is on my house, neighbors driveway is about 600’ gas meter is on the house. We all have our own wells so no pit for water in the yard unless they have underground sprinklers. House’s in the city limits don’t have pits either, the water meter is in the houses.

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #379  
Must not be that way in Minnesota. My driveway is about 150’ gas meter is on my house, neighbors driveway is about 600’ gas meter is on the house. We all have our own wells so no pit for water in the yard unless they have underground sprinklers. House’s in the city limits don’t have pits either, the water meter is in the houses.
No municipalities or the PWSDs around here allow the water meter in the house.