Bathroom remodel, idiots

/ Bathroom remodel, idiots #1  

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
After 5 months of waiting, my carpenter is going to redo our master and boys (and guests) bathroom.

The other day, we picked up the all the tile and flooring for the the guest bathroom (pushing closer to 60, it's a workout taking all that floor and bath tile upstairs LOL).

This morning, we went to pick up our vanities along with countertop for the bathrooms.

For the master bath, a large vanity with counter top was loaded onto my truck bed straight from the manufacture this morning, along with the guest/ boys bathroom (we had to make two trips because the master bath would only fit on the F150 bed).

Get the larger vanity and countertop into the garage, and we unboxed the vanity and it was damaged pretty bad (real wood is a PITA to find nowadays).

Thing is, they shipped the vanity straight from the manufacturer on a pallet in the horizontal position, and put the heavy granite countertop ON TOP of the vanity on the pallet (think about every bounce with that counter top slamming into a wood structure where the weight is not designed to hold it) . Why in the F would you put something so heavy on top of a wood structure (in the horizontal position) where it's strength is to hold that weight in the vertical position?

Ironically, the guest/boys bathroom they shipped the vanity on a pallet in the upright position and put the counter top on the side on the pallet next to the vanity. Needless to say, from two different manufacturers.

Reminds me about 25 years ago when I questioned my manager on why we stocked the heaviest items on a high racking shelving when the heaviest things should go on the bottom close to the floor because they are heavy.

The box store was more than accommodating on or predicament, but we will have to wait for the credit when a delivery is made because there was no way my wife and I were getting that vanity back onto the truck bed to return it.

I'm a pretty stupid guy, but I get worried when people don't use common sense.

/ Bathroom remodel, idiots #2  
When i remodeled the basement i went to 2 box stores to get estimates on cabinets. Then i found a custom cabinet shop locally. The local guy beat the store prices, and he made everything to fit openings instead of using fillers like box store wanted.

but i still remember receiving 2 generators by truck that had forklift holes clear thru box and into generator face. And they still tried to have me accept them. These guys can care less.

/ Bathroom remodel, idiots #3  
What gets me is at my employer, they let us know when ordered items have arrived and have been placed on our shelves for use by the receiving department. Go back to the shelves, and the box is crushed, or as grsthgreat said, fork holes right through them, etc.

Then you have to wonder if the receiving department accepted it that way, or they did the damage themselves. :unsure:

At my old employer, I had a very large wooden cabinet delivered that we had to assemble. It came in two boxes. I opened up both boxes and realized they had sent me two complete units.

I had already destroyed the boxes. I contacted the vendor, told them what happened, and told them if they gave me another box, I'd box it up and send it back. They tried to get us to buy another box. I told them it was their mistake for sending it in the first place. They eventually told us just to keep it.

Then a month later, they billed us for a second one. I contacted them again and asked for a box or take it off the bill. They said keep it. Then a month later they billed us again. This went on for about 2 years on a monthly basis. Finally they gave up.

/ Bathroom remodel, idiots
When i remodeled the basement i went to 2 box stores to get estimates on cabinets. Then i found a custom cabinet shop locally. The local guy beat the store prices, and he made everything to fit openings instead of using fillers like box store wanted.
The issue is working with a guy who is good at what he does, who doesn't charge you "top dollar" for great work, and working with him on the time he has available. More importantly, you trust him because he takes pride in his work and if he comes across issues, he points them out and lets you know how he's going to handle it.

Reality is this job was planned to start two months ago. The two vanities are pretty much the only "wood" being put in the bathrooms, and then you have the counter top/sinks. For the time, box store for these two items only is something we can live with as my wife has better tastes than myself, so she handles that LOL

Luckily, the master bathroom is second on the list and we have time to hopefully make this mistake right. Thing is, the counter top weighs a ton, but nothing is wrong with it. Per the manufacturer, everything needs to be returned (including the counter top). My line of thinking is if you don't have to ship the counter top with the vanity, no way it should get damaged, but no, you can't do that.

/ Bathroom remodel, idiots #5  
Could you proceed with your remodeling work, but temporarily reinstall your existing vanities to get by until you can get replacements? Typically, the vanities are about the last items to install and don't require that much time if they are free standing prefab units.

/ Bathroom remodel, idiots #6  
It's pretty common for the counter to be on top of the vanity when buying it as a package. I've never seen it any other way, and I probably do half a dozen or more a year. I've never seen the vanity top damaged from this. Since they are so heavy, I always take it out of the box and carry it separately.

All of the damage that I've seen has been from forklifts hitting the sides of the box and destroying the vanity. A few times, the box looked perfect, but it was still damaged. One job, during Covid and waiting in line to get into Lowes, I had to return 2 vanities, that took a month each to ship to the store, until the third one arrived that wasn't damaged.

Something else to consider, is if you need something for your remodel, and you see it at the store, no matter how early it is, buy it right away!!!! The bathroom that I'm remodeling right now has been waiting on her shower handles and valves for two months. She ordered them while I was still doing another remodel, and they said it would take a month. I'm starting another remodel next week because I can't finish her bathroom until those parts arrive.

Last edited:
It's pretty common for the counter to be on top of the vanity when buying it as a package. I've never seen it any other way, and I probably do half a dozen or more a year.
From what you see, is the vanity shipped in the horizontal position (instead of vertical) with the heavier counter on top of the vanity in the horizontal position as well?

The smaller bathroom vanity came in the upright (vertical) position with the countertop next to the vanity on the skit, not on top of the vanity (correct way IMO).

What we've found for these two bathrooms is the remainder of the house is going to be a PITA when we move LOL Thing is, my carpenter works at his own pace, and I can respect that. Timing is the issue because we don't want to sit and store materials for more than 3-4 months.

Could you proceed with your remodeling work, but temporarily reinstall your existing vanities to get by until you can get replacements? Typically, the vanities are about the last items to install and don't require that much time if they are free standing prefab units.
At this point, we're good. Guest bathroom vanity is here, the master is here but damaged. ETA on replacement is before the end of this month. Carpenter is looking at the master until next month.

/ Bathroom remodel, idiots #9  
They are always flat, on top of the vanity. On the smaller vanities, they are already glued on to the cabinet. I've never seen a vanity counter that was vertical in the box.

Plumbing fixtures are the first thing needed for a bathroom remodel.

I've had clients decide on a tile from the box stores that was in stock before the job started, then it's out of stock when I needed it and they where forced to find something else. Either order it from the tile supplier that I like, or pick something else from the box store. Other issues like not finding the grout they wanted, or not being able to find fittings or PEX clamps, have become normal in the last two years. On the job that I'm waiting for parts, I had to go to 3 different stores to find large format white mortar.

They are always flat, on top of the vanity. On the smaller vanities, they are already glued on to the cabinet. I've never seen a vanity counter that was vertical in the box.

Plumbing fixtures are the first thing needed for a bathroom remodel.

I've had clients decide on a tile from the box stores that was in stock before the job started, then it's out of stock when I needed it and they where forced to find something else. Either order it from the tile supplier that I like, or pick something else from the box store. Other issues like not finding the grout they wanted, or not being able to find fittings or PEX clamps, have become normal in the last two years. On the job that I'm waiting for parts, I had to go to 3 different stores to find large format white mortar.
As mentioned, the smaller vanity did have the counter top on the side, which made more sense to me.

I know you probably see this everyday, but it appears the doors were facing up with the vanity laying in the horizontal position, and that countertop pretty much cracked the structure around the doors.

And your right, since we trust this guy doing the work, we go to where he tells us. Generally when we trust someone we're paying, we value their opinion over ours.