Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,231  
2024_04_30_10.29.18.jpg

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,234  
I put solar on my shop and MOST things run on solar/battery in the shop. Nothing 220, and nothing really high current like a boost battery charger, 110 welder, belt sander....stuff like that. Most of that is because my inverter, 3000w is running at about max. My system is all DIY. You learn a great deal when you build it yourself.
You must have a split-phase inverter, or two 120V inverters on two separate PV strings to run 240V.

3000W isn't going to start much of any inductive power tool.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,235  
I don't get the range obsession. My 2004 diesel excursion gets 880 miles to a tank. It just has a massive tank. EV's are the only thing i care about at range, because at the bottom of the tank, there's a several hour recharge.
Why not put a 1500 mile tank in your Excursion?

No, there isn't a "several hour recharge". We never "recharge" EVs, we only "charge" EVs, we never need to redo a charge that is already there only replace one that has been consumed.

Tune in next week and I'll teach you the difference between "kilowatts" and "kilowatt-hours".

When EVs need a full charge we let them set overnight.

Something ICE-heads have the hardest time understanding no matter they are told over and over again, we don't drive EVs until the battery is empty then fill to full. Not on road trips. Not around town. We never fill to full either but for rare situations.

News flash: the EV battery charges 2-3x faster the bottom 50% as it will the top 50%. So the fastest way from 0 to 500 miles with a 300 mile battery is to stop every 125 miles or so keeping the battery in the lower SOC range.

But gas, i can fill up in under 90 seconds. I've timed it.
Video, or it didn't happen.

880 miles/tank is 44 gallons at 20 MPG, 59 (call it 60) at 15 MPG.

44 gallons in 90 seconds is 1/2 gallon/second. Would require 30 gallons/minute. Assuming you can pull off interstate, find a pump, key the pump with your credit card (seriously, that is at least 30 seconds), and return to interstate in 0 seconds. But some here put F1 pit crews to shame!

But you claim time diverting to the fuel station doesn't count! Sure it does. It is time spent because of the need to stop for fuel.

Consumer fuel dispensers are limited to 10 gallons/minute. A commercial truck fuel dispenser could deliver as much as 60 gallons/minute, but few do.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,236  
Especially since the EV nut huggers claim they charge so fast it really shouldn't deter anyone from buying one!
Really? Who? Use the search function and post the URL of the messages your claim is based upon?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,237  
Just charge at home overnight. Nobody needs the gas station model. Do away with all the superchargers
Nobody but EV haters have made such statements.

You are deliberately twisting facts into something that meets your limited and biased understanding.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,238  
That sounds like some Farmers just like to hate on technology all the way around.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,239  
Nobody but EV haters have made such statements.

You are deliberately twisting facts into something that meets your limited and biased understanding.
I’ve heard here from EV enthusiast that the gas station model is obsolete with EVs. 😁

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,240  
I’ve heard here from EV enthusiast that the gas station model is obsolete with EVs. 😁
That is not factual!

Most every week I use a gas station going from one therapy point to another to make a u-turn to keep from fighting five lanes of traffic.