Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,131  
This can be a real stress point when it comes to old cars and old tractors.

Everyone is free to decline an inheritance or a family heirloom.

I’ve seen some devastated elders by careless comments.

Maybe being gracious isn’t taught anymore?

Friends inherited a huge doll collection that was so important to grandma…

When grandma passed each chose one and the rest went to eBay and after it was all said and done the net was 20k… sure there was work involved but the grandkids learned a lot in divesting for profit.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,132  
IMG_4502.JPG

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,133  
All the cars I've owned combined probably doesn't come to much more than the price of his Tesla
That sounds like my story before I bought the Tesla .

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,134  
Gale, I will buy an EV when I know it makes sense for me. So I am here to learn.

So far, there are less than dozen TBN members with EVs and they all like them. That is a good sign.

With my situation, an EV as my primary vehicle is not practical. If a reputable company can come up with a $25k EV it would pique my interest as a second car and the interest of many others.
You can't get a decent anything for 25k. That ship has sailed, unfortunately. And if you want a truck, it's going to be 80k+ in a best case scenario. That's out of most people's budget. And they're not old enough to be used and we don't know what condition they'll be in when they are.

I don't think an EV is practical as an only vehicle. Fortunately, most people have spouses, and they get one ev, and one ice. Then they can save money on fuel, save the polar bears, while still having a backup.

The battery pack is another complication. Current widespread use in tech has it around 2000-3000 cycles. Fast charging reduces that. A cycle is 80% to 20% to 80%. If you did that every day, best case, around 10 years. However, reducing cycles extends life.

Now, there's some auto's that use lifepo4 batteries. This reduces power output, and increases weight. So your 500hp car will make 250hp, and instead of 360 mile range you get 250 mile range. But there's a serious advantage: an increase to 8000-10k cycles. Which means you could cycle it every day for 20 years before you started to see reduced battery life.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,135  
You can't get a decent anything for 25k. That ship has sailed, unfortunately. And if you want a truck, it's going to be 80k+ in a best case scenario. That's out of most people's budget. And they're not old enough to be used and we don't know what condition they'll be in when they are.

I don't think an EV is practical as an only vehicle. Fortunately, most people have spouses, and they get one ev, and one ice. Then they can save money on fuel, save the polar bears, while still having a backup.

The battery pack is another complication. Current widespread use in tech has it around 2000-3000 cycles. Fast charging reduces that. A cycle is 80% to 20% to 80%. If you did that every day, best case, around 10 years. However, reducing cycles extends life.

Now, there's some auto's that use lifepo4 batteries. This reduces power output, and increases weight. So your 500hp car will make 250hp, and instead of 360 mile range you get 250 mile range. But there's a serious advantage: an increase to 8000-10k cycles. Which means you could cycle it every day for 20 years before you started to see reduced battery life.
I believe I can purchase a decent ICE as a second car for under $25k.

Bear in mind EVs are supposed to be have a lower cost than complicated ICE vehicles…or I have been lied to….again. Lol

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,136  
Lost FSD, back up camera, etc today which for an interesting trip. When I got home, I realized that a new update had started to downloadslI know they do delete all files before they load over the top of the other so I don't know if it had already done that or not. But anyway when I got home and I got it position where it could download at a reasonable rate. That's all done and all that functionality came back online so that was a good thing. I am now sitting here listening to the clicks and slams of relays opening and closing as Tesla tests the software in the install process. Now I have FSD Ver.12.3.5. Test drive went as expected.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,137  
I believe I can purchase a decent ICE as a second car for under $25k.

Bear in mind EVs are supposed to be have a lower cost than complicated ICE vehicles…or I have been lied to….again. Lol
Cheapest I can find is a ford maverick for $27.5k, toyota corola for $23.7, honda civic for $24.1k. Everyone has their preferences, but I wouldn't own any of those.

I would say cost of ownership is lower, charging, maintenance, etc. But I would say that's probably offset by a higher depreciation of the value when going to sell. It's hard to say, because there's not that many 10 year old used ev's. I would probably call it close to even.

If I pay 37k for an ev. Like I just did last week. It would have to be an SUV, because car's just don't work for me. With a tow package. If, after 10 years, it just completely died and I had to throw it in the trash, it would have cost me $3700 to own, per year, plus $333 in electricity, per year, to drive 10,000 miles per year. So just over 4k per year. Add 2 sets of tires plus fitting, that's an extra $800 per set, $1600, divide by 10, $16/yr.

So around 42k cost of ownership for 10 years. Resale of a 2014 nissan leaf right now shows about $3k.

ICE car is 25k, or 2.5k per year. Lets say you average 26 mpg, that's $1350 in fuel assuming $3.50/gal per year. Two $50 oil changes per year. Two sets of tires in 10 years. 2 sets of brake pads and brake pad service, that's about $250 these days if you DIY. So just over 4k per year.

Again, around 42k. Resale of a 2014 honda civic showed about $3000.

Brakes are funny in ev's. They have regen braking, and a guy i know has 100k on his tesla and we were just talking about this the other day and his pads look like they have about 70-80% life left.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,138  
Cheapest I can find is a ford maverick for $27.5k, toyota corola for $23.7, honda civic for $24.1k. Everyone has their preferences, but I wouldn't own any of those.

I would say cost of ownership is lower, charging, maintenance, etc. But I would say that's probably offset by a higher depreciation of the value when going to sell. It's hard to say, because there's not that many 10 year old used ev's. I would probably call it close to even.

If I pay 37k for an ev. Like I just did last week. It would have to be an SUV, because car's just don't work for me. With a tow package. If, after 10 years, it just completely died and I had to throw it in the trash, it would have cost me $3700 to own, per year, plus $333 in electricity, per year, to drive 10,000 miles per year. So just over 4k per year. Add 2 sets of tires plus fitting, that's an extra $800 per set, $1600, divide by 10, $16/yr.

So around 42k cost of ownership for 10 years. Resale of a 2014 nissan leaf right now shows about $3k.

ICE car is 25k, or 2.5k per year. Lets say you average 26 mpg, that's $1350 in fuel assuming $3.50/gal per year. Two $50 oil changes per year. Two sets of tires in 10 years. 2 sets of brake pads and brake pad service, that's about $250 these days if you DIY. So just over 4k per year.

Again, around 42k. Resale of a 2014 honda civic showed about $3000.

Brakes are funny in ev's. They have regen braking, and a guy i know has 100k on his tesla and we were just talking about this the other day and his pads look like they have about 70-80% life left.
Best of success!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,140  
Tesla is already pulling back Supercharger plans after firing team Tesla is already pulling back Supercharger plans after firing team
I thought Tesla was laying off people. When did he start firing people instead of laying off so he's fired 15,000 people you're saying correct? Are you claiming that GM Ford and Stellantis decided to double their EV production ? I was thinking they cut their EV production by 50% or so?

As others commented in the article itself, one was I know a model y owner and he said he had been making lots of trips and never had any problem finding a charger. That was the same thing I found out last October when I went to Austin. Never was a charge location that didn't have at least a free plug for me to charge on.

Sellantis GM and Ford are rethinking the Eevee thing. Mercedes, BMW and Volkswagen are losing their cookies in China, which is a source of 40 to 50% of their net profits naturally they're telling Elon slow down Man. We're not going to send cars to your chargers like we thought we was going to.

Last edited: