battery charger on timer?

/ battery charger on timer? #31  
John, et al, I got my arctic survival training at Minot AFB North Dakota in three consecutive winters where it was more than 40 below zero every winter. My personal worst was being out in -47F and this was thermometer not wind chill. Windchill was estimated to freeze exposed flesh in less than 10 seconds, how much less they didn't calculate. I tried to not expose flesh. Luckily I was younger if you get my drift.

I am truly sympathetic to those who must brave the elements to git 'er done when conditions are that hostile. We often removed the batts from our POV and took them inside so they would be warm and work better. Spray cans of ether were often required to start a cold soaked car engine in addition to a functional (warm) batt. We did a loot of battery changing, charging, etc.

Even a fully charged battery that is really cold has way lower cranking ability so a solar panel or batt maintainer is better than nothing but doesn't help much at super low temps. A regular batt charger pumping 10 amps into 12.6 volts with a well charged batt is disapating over 100 Watts of heat in the battery and that helps warm it up even at the cost of having to add some distilled water once in a while. Don't do this unattended, overnight, or similar.

Starting a cold soaked diesel engine with a cold soaked battery (and resisting the temptation to risk blowing it up with ether) is an iffy proposition much below zero F. In last 7 years we have only got down to zero and no lower. I can start anything I own at zero with no assistance. At significantly lower temps I'd be using a jump from a running vehicle or WARM batt for a vehicle I couldn't get too with an extension cord. Shiver me timbers mates I get chills just recalling Minot!

My Lincoln tombstone has greater output on AC than DC so metallic pipe thawing and such is conducted wilth AC. If you don't over do it a dose of DC from your arc welder will give a flat or cold batt some help. Start at low amp settings.

Welding with a car batt is tricky. A 12 volt batt just kinda sorta cuts the mustard and two batts in series for 24 volts is pretty wild. The 24 volts works well with "CUT ROD."

Oh, and SoundGuy... I thiink everyone should have to take and pass Home Economics (boys too). I also think everyone with a driver's lisc who is not officially handicapped should have to pass a simple set of practical demonstrations to include changing a tire or if physically challenged (tiny person) direct the changing of a tire, check the oil, top off the radiator with coolant, check and adjust tire prressure, read the signs of misallignment and improper tire pressure on tire tread, and on and on or no drivers lisc. Practical electricity test would include knowlege of using a simple circuit tester or VOM and a basic understanding of computing electrical loads so as to stay within safe ratings of extension cords, breakers, etc.

There is no reason why a highschool graduate shouldn't be able to sew up a tear in clothes or sew on a button, cook a meal, adjust tire pressure and such. There are more important skills than memorizing a multidimensional matrix populated with different monsters requiring different weapons to kill so as to get a higher video game score than your classmate and not be able to go from a basket of groceries to a cooked meal.

Of course one of my less popular ideas is to require a meat lisc. If you haven't taken a tour of a slaughter house and participated in all phases then you get no meat lisc and can't buy any meat product raw or prepared including a Big Mac.

Pat

Last edited:
   / battery charger on timer? #32  
john_bud said:
Gary,

Whether you are showing Yankee Thrift, or wisdom beyond your years is possibly up for debate. All I know, is it would be great if you lived near me, so I could get your "old" batteries! What some people may not realize is that Maine gets sort of chilly (like WI) and that is when a battery will fail. Changing a battery out, jumping a dead battery or even putting on a charger are all easy to do --> when it's 45F or warmer. Quite the different story at -30F with a stiff wind and snow swirling!!

Keep warm,
jb
I don't know about wisdom.... Maybe self preservation!!!!

Not to turn this thread any more than it already has but....

Woke up this morning about 6:30 to take the dog out, it was about 6F. Really not to bad, no wind and low humidity. So I did not even think it was really that cold. Had a 10am appointment about 15 minutes from here, so about 9:35 went out to start up the truck. Had the block heater plugged in, cycled the glow plugs, and cranked away. It fired right up, ran for about 3 seconds... flared up to about 2,000 RPMs and died. Cranked it up again ... no go... no fuel?
Pulled the fuel filter... can you say gel???? Ok, one would think fuel puchased 3 weeks ago would have been winter ready. Guess not!
As much as you think you are ready for cold.... It can always bite you in the ***. So for those who think changing out your batteries every couple of years is a bit excessive, you are more than welcome to be at my beck and call to get me started!!!! I will even pay you $50 a year for your services!!!!!:D

And JB the old batteries are free for the taking!;)

Gary

/ battery charger on timer? #33  
I agree completely. back when i was in school.. economics was required, as was typing, and at least one vo-tech type class.. like power mechanics, agriculture, construction, or electronics. Most peopl echose ag or power mech, as they were easy. I ended up doing 3 ys each of electronics and const, and a couple summer ag courses on a work program, just to get a couple extra credits... it was very enriching.. and way better than a stupid study hall.. or golf.. etc / tennis.. etc.

We also had a 'lifestyles' class that was mandatory half credit.. taught you how to run a bufget, ballance a checkbook, and do a fake shopping list, fake stock trades, and how to plan a driving trip including miles/ fuel stops, food, etc, again.. usefull stuff... ( that they are probably not teaching now... )

Soundguy

patrick_g said:
Oh, and SoundGuy... I thiink everyone should have to take and pass Home Economics (boys too). I also think everyone with a driver's lisc who is not officially handicapped should have to pass a simple set of practical demonstrations to include changing a tire or if physically challenged (tiny person) direct the changing of a tire, check the oil, top off the radiator with coolant, check and adjust tire prressure, read the signs of misallignment and improper tire pressure on tire tread, and on and on or no drivers lisc. Practical electricity test would include knowlege of using a simple circuit tester or VOM and a basic understanding of computing electrical loads so as to stay within safe ratings of extension cords, breakers, etc.

There is no reason why a highschool graduate shouldn't be able to sew up a tear in clothes or sew on a button, cook a meal, adjust tire pressure and such. There are more important skills than memorizing a multidimensional matrix populated with different monsters requiring different weapons to kill so as to get a higher video game score than your classmate and not be able to go from a basket of groceries to a cooked meal.

Of course one of my less popular ideas is to require a meat lisc. If you haven't taken a tour of a slaughter house and participated in all phases then you get no meat lisc and can't buy any meat product raw or prepared including a Big Mac.

Pat

/ battery charger on timer? #34  
This thread is missing the certain pizazz that a certain other member could bring to it. We need to have the "I used one of those chargers and my battery exploded" type posts. :D :D :D

I use the HF units and they work well for my purposes. :)

/ battery charger on timer? #35  
Sorry to take this back to the business at hand, but...

I don't yet have AC power run with my house building project. Until that shows up, I have 6 100aH Dynasty batteries (UPS Battery - UPS 12-310) wired in parallel connected to a 5000w inverter. I fire up the generator when the voltage drops to 12.46 (not sure that this is the "right" number be using) and transfer all loads to it while an oldie but goodie Schumacher 10 amp charger recharges the batteries (I think I would benefit from a beefier charger actually). Obviously, I don't want to be running this generator longer than necessary and the 5000 watts is more than plenty to be running table saws, etc. anyway. As the batteries approach a more fully charged state, the number of amps being pushed into them decreases thus decreasing the benefit of running the generator. Here's the questions: how can I determine the most efficient use of the generator (i.e. not necessarily charging the batteries fully each time, but not giving them such a superficial charge as to hurt them)? What voltage SHOULD I be letting these batteries drop to prior to charging them? What amperage rate SHOULD they be recharged at? These are NOT automotive batteries, but are recycled from a computer backup power system. Enough juice is flowing into the batteries at the 12.46 voltage that the charger periodically shuts down, I'm guessing to allow the transformer to cool...

/ battery charger on timer? #36  
Simple chargers taper off as the batt voltage rises, not due to clever circuitry but because the difference between the applied voltage and the voltage of the battery is getting smaller. As batt V gets bigger you get less charge. Great stuff, sorta.

If the charger in question really is a DUMB charger, just a transformer and rectifiers (humor on this down page) with no IC's or such then when the charge tapers off below 5 amps you could hook it to 230 volt output of the generator and get more charging current. There is most probably a thermal cutout in series with the output and it may not be in good shape (on calibration) and shuts off at well under 10 amps.

In the olden days these simple chargers used what we came to call, selenium rectum fiers. We came to this name because when you had a selinum rectifier go bad it emitted a distinctive odor that was so bad that we started calling them selinium rectum fiers .

If you have access to an adjustable autoformer, Variac is one, you could boost the input voltage running your charger a little at a time as charging amps fell. You might want to spend a couple bucks at an autoparts store and buy a thermal cut out designed for 10-12 amps to replace your tired one. Then it won't interfere so much with charging progress. If you place the charger where it is exposed to cooling temps or breezes that will help. A small fan blowing into the case woulid surely help.

Pat

/ battery charger on timer? #37  
Gotta love those old selenium rectifiers... truly the 'stone knives and bar skins, of electronics when it comes to solid state rectification.

Soundguy

/ battery charger on timer? #38  
Soundguy said:
Gotta love those old selenium rectifiers... truly the 'stone knives and bar skins, of electronics when it comes to solid state rectification.

Soundguy

Maybe we should just go back to 5U4's, this way we could heat the barns and tractors along with them!:eek:
Gary

/ battery charger on timer? #39  
Gotta love a tube filled with a radioactive gas that glows purple when running...

Soundguy

/ battery charger on timer? #40  
I prefer the milspec version of the 5R4 with the ceramic base and flat top on the envelope. I had a pair of those in a Scott brand (actually Scott Kit) power amp I built. It was in fact (with help from the industrial type power amp tubes) quite a: 1. portable hernia to carry, and 2. a good room heater for my batchelor quarters at Minot AFB.

Pat