Battery Condition

/ Battery Condition #21  
How do you check a sealed top battery with a hydrometer? Load test after a full charge cycle is the only way to verify the condition of a battery.

OP has load tested battery, it was "not bad".

I went through same thing last winter. First a weak start, then needed to be pre-charged to start, sometimes, depending on how long it sat. Load test was ok. Then I'd complicate the analysis by topping off battery acid.
A new battery was the answer.

/ Battery Condition
Just an update. went out this morning to check on the beast. Disconnected the charger and metered the battery and go figure, magnificent charge. Checked condition of frame ground and all was tight and clean, no corrosion, etc. Jumped in, let the glow plugs come up and gave her a crank. No where near her best performance, even struggled slightly.

After all of the great discussions here, I decided I am going for a replacement battery. I think Coby's experience above is a perfect summary of my own experience recently. 34' here today with wind chill, winter is coming and all indications a battery is needed sooner than later.

Will be a few days but I will update this posting once I get the battery and install it.

Thanks again for all of the feedback, appreciate same.

/ Battery Condition #23  
A new battery is less than $150. How much aggravation will you have in the middle of winter when it fully dies in a snow storm. After 5 years or so your on overtime with battery's

Well, there is that. But then we wouldn't have had all the good discussion in this thread. :laughing:

Nor Dale's great link to battery info.

/ Battery Condition #24  
As soon as you know it's the battery, replace it. Why risk damaging other components like your starter?

I don't know why anyone would suggest getting a bigger, higher capacity battery. If the original worked fine for eight or so years, why spend more on a battery that isn't going to last any longer?

Different for a dump box battery or electric trolling motor where the added capacity might improve run time.

/ Battery Condition #25  
From personal experience. The original battery in my Massey 1742 loses so much capacity in the cold climate we have here, even with the block heater plugged in, it was a no go too many times. Once I installed a battery blanket, starts like summer time. I'm pretty familiar with these issues, being an Inter-provincial journeyman vehicle tech all my life. The OP being in Pennsylvania has probably never experienced the severe cold as is common here. His stock battery has served well, replacement is in order. The manufacturer only installs the minimum required components to do the job in most circumstances. If they could get by with stuffing the Energizer bunny in there, bet your boots that's what you' see.

/ Battery Condition #26  
My Kubota loader is turning slowly these last mornings and My E-Gator is not going as far on a charge. Temperature matters a lot for battery capacity.

/ Battery Condition
Metalbender, where are you getting your battery blankets? Are you using a battery blanket in combination with a block heater?

BTW, I suspect your right IRT to temperatures. We average around 20 at night during the winter months. I suspect you are at least 20' colder, on average.

BTW, Threepoint, I promise I will re-energize (no pun intended) this thread once the new battery is in so that you can get your fix...! :)

Thanks everyone, great feedback and discussions.

/ Battery Condition #28  
Battery blanket from the local auto store. Might not be popular in warmer climates. Mine is a small one, draws 50 watts, only goes around to three sides. Put some foil insulation to keep the heat in. The blanket stays plugged in to minimize hot cold cycles, block heater is on a wireless remote switch. Takes more than a full day to warm up that lump of lead. A couple of hrs is all that's needed except when it drops to -30. Min of three hrs then.

/ Battery Condition #29  
Here is a tip on starting batteries (N/A for E-vehicles). Turn on a head light or other load. Give it a 20 or 30 count and start. Of course this only is applicable to good batteries, but putting a battery under load briefly, provides some heat and helps the starting batteries provide the brief, high current starting load necessary. Results may vary, but I've found this helpful especially on smaller starting batteries.

My Kubota loader is turning slowly these last mornings and My E-Gator is not going as far on a charge. Temperature matters a lot for battery capacity.

/ Battery Condition
MetalBender, -30 hey? What are you outside at that point for??? :)

Thanks...