Battery Condition

/ Battery Condition #31  
I never thought of that. Sometimes I even turn off the HVAC on my GMC Diesel prior to starting in real cold, just to save juice from the fan running.

/ Battery Condition #32  
When there is a cold snap for a week or two, things still need to be done. I don't run the tractor if not neccessary, just too hard on equipment. But, sometimes the cold comes right on the heels of a blizzard, the half mile drive to the highway needs attention. In those cases I run the tractor for at least a half hr before use. Being retired, the time line to do stuff is flexible.

/ Battery Condition #33  
Did warranty on Exide batteries for 13 years where I worked seen and heard it all, some good stuff here. But I am with some here if the battery is 6 years or older might as well replace it and then you don’t need to worry about things going south.

/ Battery Condition #34  
On the point of giving the battery some load before starting. Heard stories from days gone by, that in the 6 volt days, guys would connect cables to the batt and dead short them at the other end for a few seconds, away from the battery of course to minimize battery explosion from the instant gassing. Would surely spark some heat within. Hope some older members here can shed some light on this.

/ Battery Condition #35  
Same guys would light a fire under the oil pan and gear cases.

That would suggest that your second starting attempt should, if you believe that, be stronger than the first, also because the engine has broken free from the cold oil, and I find that not to be the case.

/ Battery Condition #36  
I don’t buy that removing energy from a battery with headlights or dead shorts leaves battery in a better condition to provide cranking amps to starter.

/ Battery Condition #37  
There was also a system to give heavy machinery a transfusion of warm coolant from a service vehicle so equipped. Hoses with quick connects circulated from the running truck to the machine to warm things up.

/ Battery Condition #38  
A great system for a dozer sitting all night in fridged temperatures.

Also, once saw in a Cop magazine a pump that would circulate coolant through that Big Block, to heat a car while on stakeout without running the engine all the time.

/ Battery Condition #39  
Yup Coby, seems counter-productive to me too. I heard about it in the late 60's when I was an apprentice. Never had the bxxxs to try it myself.

/ Battery Condition #40  
Being in Canuckland, JC Whitney was a wonder book, much like the Sears catalogue. In it they had listed a propane fired circulating block heater. Always thought that would be the answer for our climate.