Battery Operated Warning Lights

/ Battery Operated Warning Lights
'not going to try' will do... because the 'not easilly' simply ain't true.

it's running of some standardized supply voltage in that box. and as long as it's less than 14v.. it's *-=(VERY EASY)=-* to drop the voltage down to what it wants.

As far as the led's running on very little voltage. you might be surprised... they run on very little current.. but depending ont he led setup, and if they have a mole driving them or not.. supply votlage could be as high as 12v :)

cost prohibitive? probably 5$ in radio shack parts is what it would take to rig up something to power them lamps off tractor power... that and a lil E=IR ....

soundguy

Wow...you obviously have a lot more knowledge in the electrical area then me...

/ Battery Operated Warning Lights #12  
I'd say it was the engineering college.. but it wasn't. I started in the practical application of electronics back in high school, and dabbled with a good working knowledge in middle school.

In reality.. looking thru a schematic booklet that is commonly sold, it would /should be easy for a novice to shake-n-bake a voltage reduction circuit out o fthe aforementioned handfull of parts pretty easilly. i havn't checked but I'd be surprised if you couldn't google a circuit schematic...

soundguy

/ Battery Operated Warning Lights #13  
I used to be good at that stuff...been a long time and a lot has changed. Perhaps just my own lack of knowledge. I have read a little about LED circuits- when they start mentioning "drivers" etc.....I stop reading. It was much easier with 12v incandescent lamps.

I'll try the google approach and see if there is anything for "dummies". Although- another "project" won't go over well with my wife.

/ Battery Operated Warning Lights #14  
actually.. not alot has changed. ohms law still the same. about the only new stuff are some new components.. but most of the common stuff goes back to the dawn of silicon when we stopped using 'glassfets' for everything.. :)

I wouldn't approach it as an LED driver circuit. I'd approach it as a DC power supply circuit. match what it is looking for... which, shouldn't be hard. half dozen ways to do it depending on what it wants.

soundguy

/ Battery Operated Warning Lights #15  
I see now the simplicity-
I did look at some things on 'google"- some very simple, using a resistor to lower the power. On a couple, I saw they were using capacitors and other components to make them flash.

I guess I can brush up on the basic electronics I learned (24 years ago....) and give it a shot.

Radio Shack....HERE I COME!!!!!!

/ Battery Operated Warning Lights
Like I said before: It seems like TBN is turning into EBN - ElectricalByNet

/ Battery Operated Warning Lights #18  
all part and parcel.

soundguy