Battery powered chainsaw

/ Battery powered chainsaw #831  
Once you decide on a brand and have batteries and charger it is a commitment.

Yep, that's a problem. I bought into the 40V Greenworks several years ago.

Now I'm plunging into the 82V Greenworks, and all new batteries, chargers, etc. It is unclear why Greenworks have both 80V and 82V battery packs, which are probably the same voltage.

What I'll probably do is search for a good 40V pruning saw to use with the old batteries. Plus my lawnmower which is now viable as I have more batteries.

I was surprised that Stihl seems to be the only brand that is moving into the larger saw market and still using the 36V batteries. It is nice that they've maintained compatibility with their system. Yet, inevitably they'll jump into the 80V market.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #832  
In the back of my mind the thought crossed Stihl won't want to alienate the commercial users with frequent system changes

/ Battery powered chainsaw #833  
In the back of my mind the thought crossed Stihl won't want to alienate the commercial users with frequent system changes

When this bad boy hits the market, Stihl will lose market share if they don't have an answer.

231018_Equip_Expo_03_1600x900.jpg

/ Battery powered chainsaw #834  
Not picking on anyone in particular, but there have been a few mentions of taking chainsaws up on ladders. Careful out there, chainsaws and ladders can make for some very good bloopers videos, and some mighty high falls, when a falling branch wipes out the ladder upon which you're standing. Typically, climbing or pole saws, are preferred.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #835  
Not picking on anyone in particular, but there have been a few mentions of taking chainsaws up on ladders. Careful out there, chainsaws and ladders can make for some very good bloopers videos, and some mighty high falls, when a falling branch wipes out the ladder upon which you're standing. Typically, climbing or pole saws, are preferred.
As long as I'm not around, it doesn't bother me. :ROFLMAO:

/ Battery powered chainsaw #836  
Most of the consumer grade pole saws are far too short to be of any use. Perhaps I'll look at the commercial grade ones.

Mom had a tree trimmer come to her house a while ago, and he was wicked fast at cutting using a high quality manual pole saw.

I tried one of those rope chain saws a few years ago... and it is now permanently stuck in the tree.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #837  
I have one inherited from an AT&T/Bell linesman's truck, probably 1980's vintage. Commercial grade, and ten 6-foot segments, with saw, lopper, and hook. It's not fast, it's cumbersome and tiring when you get more than 36 feet of it in the air, but it always works.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #838  

If you are up on a ladder which is higher than you want to fall down from, get a safety belt. Tie one end of a rope to the chain saw and the other end to your safety belt.

Climb up the ladder, secure the safety belt to the tree, pull up the saw and cut. If for some reason the ladder is knocked away, you are still up in the tree. Now of course you will need some help at this point, but at least, you didn't fall down.

Richard

/ Battery powered chainsaw #839  
I have two battery Stihl pole saws… my go is fixed length and then I have the extended with is a lot heavier…

We also have a gas with even more reach but my back doesn’t like it after a few cuts.
I have one inherited from an AT&T/Bell linesman's truck, probably 1980's vintage. Commercial grade, and ten 6-foot segments, with saw, lopper, and hook. It's not fast, it's cumbersome and tiring when you get more than 36 feet of it in the air, but it always works.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #840  
I use my Kombi with up to 2 extensions, when I want a powered pole saw. Works great, although I think they technically only "approve" use of one extension. Unfortunately, in a quick Google search, I'm not finding any spec listed for max reach on the thing. I'd guess something like 18 feet max, which is very useful for a lot of the stuff you'd want to trim, but still doesn't keep me entirely out of using the old manual pole saw.