battery terminal corrosion

/ battery terminal corrosion #21  
After taking delivery of my TC25D couple years ago checked the battery fluid level (thanks to TBN members).An "overfilled"battery. Like almost up to vent wells. Removed fluid. Thought I had no problems. Doing some major routine autumn maintenance revealed some "cottage cheese". Small amount not visible until removing the rubber terminal covers. Checked the battery fluid. 1/2" over the plates. Checked the owners manual. Should only be 1/4" over the plates. Removed more fluid. Debating if it's time to replace the battery. Battery read 12.3volts after sitting for couple weeks. Is this battery on its last season or is that a normal reading. Wondering if overcharging is causing this corrosion? What is the correct reading for a battery while the tractor is running?

/ battery terminal corrosion #22  
I also have a 2001 TC25D. For a long time, there was no corrosion or "cottage cheese." Then three weeks ago, after having let the tractor sit for a month or so (dry here - not much to mow) I went to do the last mow of the year. The tractor turned over slowly, then started. Halfway through the job, I turned it off, dismounted and let my bride take her turn. She turned the key and there was nothing but the clicking of a starter not getting enough juice to go. I opened the hood, and there is was. Enough cottage cheese on the positive terminal to fill a week's worth of diet plates at the local diner. The negative terminal was about half that bad. Worse, it was clear that there had been a fair amount of spattering and leaking that I hadn't noticed earlier - the bracket and plate were full of rust and there were the beginnings and then some of corrosion on the radiator, some of the hydraulic fittings, and the top of the tie rod joint, both on the positive side.

I pulled the battery (the clamp screw on the positive terminal was so corroded it snapped like a pretzel) and scrubbed everything I could reach with a pasty mixture of water and baking soda. Man, did that baby foam up! I then ordered an Optima Yellow Top from 1st Optima Batteries (Shown on the Optima site as a vendor) for $139 shipping included. Steep? You bet. Cost of replacing radiator and other corroded items steeper? You bet. I'm still under warranty, so the only hurt is the cost of transport to and from the dealer. In a few months the warranty will expire. Using an OEM battery will eventually lead to similar problems. That would then be my bill to pay and rightly so. I think of it as a potential "stupid" tax - similar to the $55 towing bill I paid when I got the tractor stuck in the mud while it was still new.

FYI, Optima now has a 51R, with positive on the right. It fits the 25D perfectly, and it packs a great punch. Like the mechanic in the old Fram oil filter commercials used to say, "You can pay me now or you can pay me later."

Good luck!

/ battery terminal corrosion #23  
<font color="blue"> FYI, Optima now has a 51R, with positive on the right. It fits the 25D perfectly, </font>
Jim, the model 51, not the 51R, has the correct terminal configuration for the 25D, as well as all the Class II Boomers.

Here's a link to the Model 51 schematic.

/ battery terminal corrosion #24  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Battery read 12.3volts after sitting for couple weeks. Is this battery on its last season or is that a normal reading. Wondering if overcharging is causing this corrosion? What is the correct reading for a battery while the tractor is running? )</font>

A resting voltage of little over 12 volts sounds normal for a battery that has been sitting for a while. A loaded test means more. If it drops below 10 while cranking the battery is bad. A charging voltage of 13 - 15 is normal. It depends on the battery somewhat. Optima batteries are rated at 15 volts continuous operation. My TC33D puts out 14.6 volts.

/ battery terminal corrosion #25  
That's interesting. The positive terminal on my 25D is on the right as you face the tractor from the front. Just the opposite of your diagram. The 51R, when installed with all the tags on the top facing front, has the positive on the right, and the positive cable is right there. Hmmm ... I'll get a pic this weekend and post it.

/ battery terminal corrosion #26  
<font color="blue">The positive terminal on my 25D is on the right as you face the tractor from the front. </font>
So is mine. The link I posted before shows the battery as if you're looking at it from behind the battery.

/ battery terminal corrosion #27  
So now you have confused me (increasingly easy to do as I grow older.) With the front of the OEM battery facing the the front of the tractor, the positive terminal is on the right, or clutch side of the tractor. The 51 is just the opposite - front of battery facing front of tractor, positive is on the left, or hydro side of the tractor. (again, looking at all of this from the front of the tractor.) The 51R is the same post configuration (positive on the right, or clutch side of the tractor) as the OEM. So, what am I missing? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Confused in Chicago

/ battery terminal corrosion #28  
You have the model designations mixed. According to the link I posted before, the Model 51 terminal configuration matches the original Class II Boomer battery. I would post the diagrams, but they are copyrighted.

/ battery terminal corrosion #29  
OK - I give up. I bought the 51R because the positive terminal is on the right as I face the tractor. The positive battery cable is right there. Something is getting lost in the translation here - not worth beating on it. Your 51 works on your 25D, and my 51R works on my 25D. Everybody's a winner. The important thing is that neither of us will again have to worry about cottage cheese or corroded tractor guts. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ battery terminal corrosion #30  
<font color="blue"> The important thing is that neither of us will again have to worry about cottage cheese or corroded tractor guts. </font>
Amen! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif