Bay Accumulators and Grapples for small hay bales

/ Bay Accumulators and Grapples for small hay bales
Interesting - how big a tractor is needed to pull and run it?

I never plan on doing all 100 acres in squares. I need rounds for myself.

For $4450 that is pretty right.

I don't even own a square baler yet, so I have not made my final decision yet.

What are you using?

D.

/ Bay Accumulators and Grapples for small hay bales #42  
Im also basically a one man op but w/ only a 1/3 of your ground. Even so moving thousands of bales/cut in a timely manner is still a HUGE problem.

If I knew I could sell out mostly or completely in the field then an accumulator would be great...mostly for my customers. I dont think it would be a great benefit to me but that would depend on how much went to the barn. However, this scenario seems unrealistic. Im counting on moving most of my hay to storage for later sale. So, an accumulator would still require wagons + the labor to moved them to the elevator and stack them in the loft.

If I go w/ an automatic stack wagon (what I previously called a bale wagon) it would load, stack and unload automatically...a BIG savings of labor!! The unloading part is the big unknown to me right now. Most mdls just dump but a few will unload single bales at a time (to my elevator). Either way though its still a big saving of labor. Ive priced various mdls and for used they seem pretty reasonably (for the pulled type). Looks like a good used machine in field ready condition runs anywhere from $3000 to > 10K

Im going to order a couple operator manuals next week and see what the details look like.

ETA: I think you dont need a huge tractor, the bigger problem might be stopping rather than pulling. The empty machine weighs between 6000-7000#s and most are capable of holding a bit more than 100 bales. Seems it would be sort of dicey on steep hills too. Being as youre in TX I dont think thats a concern.

/ Bay Accumulators and Grapples for small hay bales #43  
ddivinia said:
Interesting - how big a tractor is needed to pull and run it?

I never plan on doing all 100 acres in squares. I need rounds for myself.

For $4450 that is pretty right.

I don't even own a square baler yet, so I have not made my final decision yet.

What are you using?

D.

You're in luck. The Canadians did an exhaustive evaluation of that NH 1033 bale wagon

/NH 1033

All your questions are answered in this pdf file.

Since I only have 7 acres, I'll use an 8-bale accumulator and grapple. I'll build them myself later this summer. Need to get a skid steer adapter for the FEL on my Mahindra 5525 to handle this equipment.

/ Bay Accumulators and Grapples for small hay bales #44  
There are alot of bale wagons in my area. That said, I have only had the pleasure of seeing them put to use once. It was the pull type and it was being pulled behind a NH TS135/T6000 series 2wd tractor. I'm pretty sure much of what I was seeing had to do with the size or bale but the two wagons that were running in the field left me somewhat puzzled on how many times the driver had to get out of the tractor cab and give the row of bales that was ready to "flip up" a good shove to get it lined up. I don't know how common this is but if it is and along the fact that I don't have a building to directly unload into with the bale wagon, I would still go with the acculator route.

On a side note, the owner of these to wagons runs 6 TS/T6000 series NH only to bale hay. He uses a Steffen's grapple to move the stacks of 100+ bales that come off the bale wagon. So a grapple may still be necessary or even desired. His grapple was a 10 or 15 on edge model I believe.

/ Bay Accumulators and Grapples for small hay bales #45  
If anyone is interested in a lightly used Haymaster 8 bale accumulator and grapple please let me know. The grapple has a QA plate on it and includes all the hydraulic hoses necessary to connect it to your tractor. I have pictures that I can email too.

Thanks,

Steve

/ Bay Accumulators and Grapples for small hay bales #46  
From what I understand, the single bale unload isn't that great of feature because of time. The tow behinds don't have that much capacity to start with and when you start needing to make many trips you can't waste time with it parked at the elevator. It might replace a man but it means you aren't fetching hay.

/ Bay Accumulators and Grapples for small hay bales #47  
The reason the operator kept leaving the cab was to rotate 2 or 3 bales (depending on table capacity) so that the stack is "tied" together. If you don't do that, there is a good possibility that the stack will tumble askew. That's a problem if you need to move the stack later on. A key ingredient to a successful stackwagon operation is a good baler. If the bales are fluffy, variable length, misshaped, or dropped crooked on the ground, then is a challenge to get them thru the pickup chute. Other than that, these things are a blast to run. BTW: I've never had a problem stopping a full load or an empty machine. My JD 1070 is probably considered a bit light for such a machine. Those opinions are a dime a dozen and worth just as much.

/ Bay Accumulators and Grapples for small hay bales #48  
I am also looking for bale handling equipment. I found this website: Hay For Sale in East Texas at The Forage Mart
I e-mailed them and they are using the Steffen System. They said it was the best, especially for "horse" hay.

/ Bay Accumulators and Grapples for small hay bales #49  
Bigfoot62 said:
I am also looking for bale handling equipment. I found this website: Hay For Sale in East Texas at The Forage Mart
I e-mailed them and they are using the Steffen System. They said it was the best, especially for "horse" hay.
My local New Holland, Kuhn, etc. dealer said the same thing. Now of course you might say well they are just trying to sell you something. But the way I see it they sell the Hoelscher system as well which is very close in price if not more expensive. At any rate they said they prefer the Steffen's System as well.

EDIT: After looking at that link I see (according to the pictures) they aren't using any Moco's but only disc mowers. Interesting.

/ Bay Accumulators and Grapples for small hay bales
mark.r said:
My local New Holland, Kuhn, etc. dealer said the same thing. Now of course you might say well they are just trying to sell you something. But the way I see it they sell the Hoelscher system as well which is very close in price if not more expensive. At any rate they said they prefer the Steffen's System as well.

EDIT: After looking at that link I see (according to the pictures) they aren't using any Moco's but only disc mowers. Interesting.

For Bermuda ya just don't need a moco. Heck, it is so hot right now you can cut a pasture and come right back around and rake it.

I did my front 30 acres the other day. Mowed Friday morning. Sat morning raked and baled. Was done by 2PM. The mositure meter was showing 12-15%.

D.