Beekeeping

/ Beekeeping #71  
Here is a queen cell that was killed by a hatched queen (Right side, middle). The queen will chew in from the side and kill the one in the cell.
20200705_162209.jpg

and here is one that hatched
20200713_174330.jpg

/ Beekeeping #72  
WOW!!! That helps me understand it better. Eventually my wife wants to have bees, but we don't know anything about them. Her goal is to make the garden better, and she says that having bees will do that.
Same...Wife is getting a hive next month and knows almost nothing about what she is doing. I want to be supportive, but my only experience with beekeeping is seeing hives placed on my cousin's ranch.

/ Beekeeping
It's really interesting. I feel like you would like it if you enjoy piddling outside and appreciate/ like animals.

Cloverknoll does things differently than you would probably learn from any local beekeepers around you. It works well for him and his goals. I keep mine the more traditional way. I am more than happy to give you any info I can.

/ Beekeeping #74  
I’ll admit, we are outliers in the US in The way we keep bees. In Europe and Russia maybe not so much. The Langstroth hives and ways were developed mainly for commercial beekeeping and honey production. I find Langstroth inspections brutal on the bees and beekeeper

/ Beekeeping
Now that I have my house and shop built. I may ask you for some pointers and plans for your horizontal hives. I will still be spending a lot of time getting the property the way I want it and getting the shop set up this year. So I'm not planning on being able to do much in the way of other hobbies that I normally would. So I am not planning on being able to implement one this season. But, depending on how many splits and swarms I can get this year, I might like to implement one or two next year.

/ Beekeeping #76  
Now that I have my house and shop built. I may ask you for some pointers and plans for your horizontal hives. I will still be spending a lot of time getting the property the way I want it and getting the shop set up this year. So I'm not planning on being able to do much in the way of other hobbies that I normally would. So I am not planning on being able to implement one this season. But, depending on how many splits and swarms I can get this year, I might like to implement one or two next year.
Absolutely. As I age, I’m also not really into lifting supers…

/ Beekeeping #77  
Took a quick look in on our bees yesterday and wow, they have A LOT of honey left from last fall. Probably 15-20 pounds per hive! They went into winter with maybe 35? Incredible how little they use in these hives over winter.

/ Beekeeping #78  
Absolutely. As I age, I’m also not really into lifting supers…
When I started beekeeping, I was told that I'd have to make several decisions. One was did I want 8 frame or 10 frame boxes. I was told that there are 2 types of beekeepers. Ones that use 8 frames and ones that will use 8 frames. Of course I was young and strong, so I went with 10 frames. Honey is not light and often you're lifting in ackward positions. I soon understood why many of the much older beekeeper always had young people helping them.

/ Beekeeping
I went through mine yesterday. I confirmed only 1 hive survived the winter. But man if it's not bursting at the seams. Has at least 50 pounds of honey, lots of bees, and lots of brood. I took in all the woodenware and will get it all ready to go for splits or swarms. I've seen several around me on different FB groups. I'm hoping to get some.