Beekeeping

/ Beekeeping #81  
Lost 2 of my three hives over the winter. One was super wet inside. We had a very odd winer with a few days that jumped up into the 50's with such high humidity that the walls of the house were wet under the breezeway. I added candy boards this year and I am wondering if they blocked moisture flowing up to the quiltbox. The shavings were bone dry.

On the good side, the surviving hive is super active.

/ Beekeeping #82  
Our hives have 1.5" of insulation in the walls, on three sides of the nest, 4" above the nest, and one cold wall. This forces all moisture to condense on a cold wall, and not over the bees, thus freezing them. We can get puddles of water in the bottom of the hive, but it never falls on the bees.
We have only ever lost one colony over winter, and it didn't die until the first week of March due to starvation. We didn't harvest from them the year prior, but they had 15 pounds of honey for winter. Good riddance to a weak colony of bees. Ours all came through with about 15-20 pounds of honey left this spring.

Last edited:
   / Beekeeping #83  
I covered all 6 sides of the hive with 2 inch foam. Having a cold wall to attract condensation is an interesting idea. How cold does it get in your part of Indiana?

Had air holes at the top and a side and bottom entrance for ventelation. I also had a quilt box on top with a candy board below that with 15lbs of sugar. Also a super full of honey in each hive.

so from bottom to top:
-2 inch foam
-bottom board
-deep brood box
-honey super
-candy board
-quilt box
-inner cover
-2 inch foam

One interesting behavior I noted: the bees had uncapped about 50% of the honey, but not used it. That seemed odd. The other hive that perished was dryer, but all the honey was capped unless they had consumed it.

Everything was wet inside and I found the queen on top of the candy board.

I am guessing I did not have adequate ventilation in place for them, and the moisture just built up and overwhelmed them. I am wondering if the sugar board hindered air flow. I had holes in the middle of the board and in each corner. Also an exit.

Here are the hives as seen in the fall
20231024_171124.jpg

Here are the candy boards - the 3 inch pipe in the middle gets pulled out once the sugar hardens.
20231016_142910.jpg

/ Beekeeping #84  
The nest should have substantially more insulation above, than on the sides, as they would in nature. If not, condensation will build up above and that is a recipe for disaster. Ventilation is ok, but in a tree, they don't typically have multiple vents. Bees actually propolize openings to make their spaces less drafty. I've had them propolize all of the vents closed in the summer and fall.
We humans try to ventilate their hives as we see fit. In the end we kill bees.

In Indiana we are 20-30F much of Jan-Feb with a couple weeks below zero in there.

Our hives were actually made for Russian winters, so much more brutal than we experience.

Last edited:
   / Beekeeping #85  
Our hives have 1.5" of insulation in the walls, on three sides of the nest, 4" above the nest, and one cold wall. This forces all moisture to condense on a cold wall, and not over the bees, thus freezing them. We can get puddles of water in the bottom of the hive, but it never falls on the bees.
We have only ever lost one colony over winter, and it didn't die until the first week of March due to starvation. We didn't harvest from them the year prior, but they had 15 pounds of honey for winter. Good riddance to a weak colony of bees. Ours all came through with about 15-20 pounds of honey left this spring.
That's a great idea! Which wall do you leave cold?

All the best,

Peter

/ Beekeeping #86  
So, these are horizontals... So the entire box is insulated when it's built. A 4" thick wool stuffed pillow is placed above the nest, which encompasses 7-10 frames, or about half the width of the hive, over winter. At the end of the nest is placed a 3/4" thick divider board to separate the nest from the open space. A 3/8" gap is left at the bottom. That is the cold wall of the nest.
The bees consume very little honey because the nest is warmer, creating less condensation, and also the coldest part of the hive is NOT above the bees. The top of the frames is the most insulated portion. Any wall can be cold, but the ceiling can't be. Our divider boards are the cold wall.

/ Beekeeping #87  
So, these are horizontals... So the entire box is insulated when it's built. A 4" thick wool stuffed pillow is placed above the nest, which encompasses 7-10 frames, or about half the width of the hive, over winter. At the end of the nest is placed a 3/4" thick divider board to separate the nest from the open space. A 3/8" gap is left at the bottom. That is the cold wall of the nest.
The bees consume very little honey because the nest is warmer, creating less condensation, and also the coldest part of the hive is NOT above the bees. The top of the frames is the most insulated portion. Any wall can be cold, but the ceiling can't be. Our divider boards are the cold wall.
I'm very very impressed with your design and practices. It seems much more in keeping with bees, and their nature than many of the practices that I see around here.

Thanks for posting!

All the best,

Peter

/ Beekeeping #88  
I'm very very impressed with your design and practices. It seems much more in keeping with bees, and their nature than many of the practices that I see around here.

Thanks for posting!

All the best,

Peter

This design was specifically made to accommodate bees. Langstroth was specifically made to accommodate maximum honey production, even at the cost of bees natural tendencies. Every year our survival rate far exceeds our friends who use langstroth hives... But they still cling to the type of beekeeping they were taught. Because of 95% of people are doing it, it must be the best... Er, maybe not when you understand how bees live and thrive in nature. Beekeepers work very hard to make bees, not act like bees, and then wonder why bees don't survive. I know I'm not smarter than the creator of all things.

Last edited:
   / Beekeeping #90  
Is there a good book for total novices that explains everything in very simple terms? My wife really wants bees. And happy wife, happy life. We would like to find a step by step list with everything we need to get started. If something like that exists?