Bee's versus my BX22!

/ Bee's versus my BX22! #1  

dmartin88

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX22, Bobcat 763H
Bee\'s versus my BX22!

About 10 am this morning, was expanding a path through the woods on our property. Used the loader to move a rotting tree that had fallen on it's own. It snapped in two while moving it and bee's that were nesting in the trunk poured out. I was stung about 5 times, ouch. Didn't worry too much as I've been stung before.

I drove up to the house to get something to put on the stings, about 15 minutes later, started getting lightheaded, clammy skin and more. Passed out standing up but luckily, my wife and son were there, caught me as I fell to the ground. They called 911, ended up with a houseful of Fire and Rescue team members- blood pressure fell to about 60 over 55, temperature to the low 90's. Rescue team did the job, pumped me full of several chemicals (epidrine, benzadryl, and steroids) once they could get an IV line started. Was feeling pretty bad laying on the floor but started to lose some of the lightheadedness while being transported to the hospital. I spent a few hours in the emergency rooom, doctors ran a few more tests and said all is well.

Home now, wore out, the epidrine gave me a major case of shakes and seemed to have worn myself out. All in all quite an experience. Hope a good night's sleep will get me back to normal. Doctor has subscribed an epidrine self applicator to have around the house in case something like this happens again. Thinks it was mainly the volume the stings that got me but don't want to take a chance next time.

Message is to think about what you'll do if something happens, in this case, I had plenty of time to get back to the house before the reaction set in but always make sure someone knows where you're working. If I had stayed in the woods and passed out, not sure wha would have happened but this time, family and the rescue team were right there to help.

/ Bee's versus my BX22! #2  
Re: Bee\'s versus my BX22!

Whew, glad it turned out OK, Dave. I don't suppose anyone knows why some people have that allurgic reaction and others don't. My wife has a nephew who spends a great deal of time outdoors (overall responsibility for all maintenance at 3 big cemeteries), and he has to keep his self applicator handy all the time; doctor says to fail to do so could be fatal for him, and sounds like you might be in the same situation.

/ Bee's versus my BX22! #3  

Glad they got you the help they did as soon as possible. Hopefully you'll feel better by morning.......except for those 5 spots

/ Bee's versus my BX22! #4  

Dave,
It is good to hear that you are safe back at home now.
There are so many different critters that sting and you never know where they may be living.
My youngest son has to take his kit with him since he has had several bad reactions, and he loves the outdoors, hunt. fish, diving...

However; I seem to be blessed so far. Most at one time was several years ago on my old riding mower, trying to flatten a blackberry patch and stired up a bumble bee nest. Got 14 stings around neck and shoulders, wife put vinegar and soda on them and I was back out killing what bees I could find with flame torch.

However; what we call yellowjackets in this neck of the woods is the worst for me. They usually live in the ground and when they are disturbed they attack in force and don't just sing and leave, they hang on and keep on and on....

Had a hornet's nest built on our upstairs bath window last year. Let me see if I can post a picture. We could watch all the activity inside, it was very interesting.

Attachments

• 296798-hornetjpg.JPG
    296798-hornetjpg.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 421
   / Bee's versus my BX22! #5  

Oh my goodness.......THAT would be gone in 10 seconds around here.....

/ Bee's versus my BX22! #6  

Good to hear you all right.

Last week I had the same problem. Scything down some weeds and hit a wasps nest. Got 7-8 stings that burned for about 10 minutes or so but didn't have any other reaction.

Egon

/ Bee's versus my BX22!

Did a bit of searching and looks like it was actually yellow jackets that stung me. Thanks for the feedback and good wishes, doing fine now.

/ Bee's versus my BX22! #9  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( it was actually yellow jackets that stung me )</font>

They're the ones I hate the most, maybe because I got 7 stings at once one time on the back of my head and neck when I was a kid. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Bee's versus my BX22! #10  

I hate those YELLOW JACKETS...