Beet Juice (a.k.a. Rim Guard)

/ Beet Juice (a.k.a. Rim Guard) #11  
As mentioned, Rim Guard prices are all over the place. Depends on where you live. Rim Guard in my area is $3.70 a gallon and I have to bring tractor to dealer and leave it for the day. If I could have got the Washington price of $1.50 a gallon I'd have used that. I couldn't so I went with -20* Windshield Washer fluid.

/ Beet Juice (a.k.a. Rim Guard) #12  
Stopped by the only place in town that sells rim guard the other day and ask what the price was on it. They said 2.75/gal.So,I took my 12" rims and a new set of 24-11-12 tires in and dropped them off.Told them to not fill over the valve stem height so I could check the pressure.Picked them up the next day and they handed me a bill for $70 and some odd cents.And,they only put 4 gallons in each tire.I told them The charges were extremely high for such a simple operation.I'll never spend another dime in that store,ever.

/ Beet Juice (a.k.a. Rim Guard) #13  
Stopped by the only place in town that sells rim guard the other day and ask what the price was on it. They said 2.75/gal.So,I took my 12" rims and a new set of 24-11-12 tires in and dropped them off.Told them to not fill over the valve stem height so I could check the pressure.Picked them up the next day and they handed me a bill for $70 and some odd cents.And,they only put 4 gallons in each tire.I told them The charges were extremely high for such a simple operation.I'll never spend another dime in that store,ever.

Materials were $22. Labor seems to be a bit under $50. Did they install special valves in the tires?

/ Beet Juice (a.k.a. Rim Guard) #14  
The way I read your post you took new tires and your rims so they had to mount them in order to fill them.
Looks like they charged for mounting the tires, installing fill type air/liquid valve stems, and filling.

/ Beet Juice (a.k.a. Rim Guard) #15  
The way I read your post you took new tires and your rims so they had to mount them in order to fill them.
Looks like they charged for mounting the tires, installing fill type air/liquid valve stems, and filling.

Yup. Doesn't seem out of line to me for two tires. Just getting one tire patched properly is nearly $30 around here.

/ Beet Juice (a.k.a. Rim Guard) #16  
Materials were $22. Labor seems to be a bit under $50. Did they install special valves in the tires?

They installed metal valve stems.They didn't say how they put the fluid in-thru the stems or just poured it in.$45 just seemed rather high to me.I didn't asked for the installed price because I didn't know how many gallons were involved. If I'd known their cost of installation,I would have taken two 5 gal jugs and had them filled up and put it in the tires myself.Not that hard to break the top bead down and pour the fluid in.

/ Beet Juice (a.k.a. Rim Guard) #17  
As I said earlier, $200 for me in my Max 28 rears.
I think it was a good price based on the extra work needed.

Your price wasn't bad either so I think you need to look at what was actually done then compare.

Apples aren't Oranges.

/ Beet Juice (a.k.a. Rim Guard) #18  
I used spent antifreeze as we have a few drums laying around and we have to pay to get rid of it, so I saved twice. Im sure if you asked around a few shops would give you the used antifreeze. You just have to make sure you don't put any oil in the tires which usually ends up in used coolant at some point.

/ Beet Juice (a.k.a. Rim Guard) #19  
Locknut, there is also an installation charge. It takes an takes a special air liquid pump to pump in through valve stem. You don't pour in. Our local dealer charges a $65 fill fee. Takes a little while.
He's just not going to charge you for the gallons only. Also local dealer is $3 a gallon so he was cheaper. Don't automatically assume he ripped you off. He didn't. And they had to mount your tires also?

/ Beet Juice (a.k.a. Rim Guard) #20  
Both my old and now departed tractors had calcium. One tractor required rim replacement because over a period of twenty plus years the rims were deteriorating. I bought a newer machine a couple years ago and the tire guy said, use this beet juice stuff, it's the way to go and you won't regret it.
I didn't ask how much, just said do 'er and bill me. glad I did, it's three or four years later now, now leaks no corrosion, hope they last forever.